Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is my Opel Omega dying?  (Read 1377 times)

Batuhan

• Holland
    • Opel Omega 2.0 DTi 74kw
    • View Profile
Is my Opel Omega dying?
« on: 27 July 2014, 22:33:16 »

Hello guys,

Firstly I want to introduce myself. I'm a 20 year old Dutch boy, I drive an Opel Omega, 1998, 2.0 DTi, 74kw. Last week, my Omega is really shifting extremely rough. It has 350.000 km on it. It never did this before, so it really happened instantly. It's a manual gearbox btw. I even couldn't get it in reverse gear this afternoon.. only when i shut the car off it did, so luckely i could drive it out of the carpark. What do you guys think? Also, when I start the car with the clutch pressed, I hear a noise like some metal bar is falling of something. So, what's your advice? Change the oil could do wonders, or is my Omega dying silently? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated, I hope I made myself clear enough.

05omegav6

Re: Is my Opel Omega dying?
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2014, 22:40:35 »

Sounds like the clutch is on its last legs :-\

Batuhan

• Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2014, 22:57:12 »

Ah, I knew it wasn't going to be an easy/cheap fix... well, that thing is worth around 500 euro's here, and the fix is going to cost me about 200~300 euro's i think. It's better if I just throw this baby away, with pain in my heart, and get another Omega.. many thanks for the advice!  :-[

Temetsy

• Finland
    • b1 x25xe sedan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2014, 23:00:06 »

It's pretty straight forward job to change clutch kit so if you can put a socket to ratchet it'll be days job :y

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 27 July 2014, 23:03:34 »

It's pretty straight forward job to change clutch kit so if you can put a socket to ratchet it'll be days job :y
Indeed :y it's only 23 bolts ::)

Temetsy

• Finland
    • b1 x25xe sedan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 July 2014, 23:13:06 »

I'd think the only challenge is to get friction plate centered but a pipe or bar and duct tape will work just fine :)

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 28 July 2014, 02:35:06 »

I'd think the only challenge is to get friction plate centered but a pipe or bar and duct tape will work just fine :)
Or a deep socket and extension bar :-X

alank46

• Intermediate Member
  • South Devon
    • 3L Elite Estate 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 July 2014, 07:06:19 »

I'd be looking at the clutch hydraulics first, specifically the slave cylinder then the master cyl before condeming the main clutch components.
Elite now gone.  Bought an X-Type 4x4.  If there had been an Omega 4x4 I would have bought that instead.  We really liked the Omega, but I wanted 4x4.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 July 2014, 23:11:07 »

At 350,000 km the clutch will be shagged to say the least, dont get rid of it mate, break out the ramps and the spanners and rebuild the clutch. easy to do yourself and you will get so much satisfaction knowing it was done properly. :y
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Batuhan

• Holland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2014, 22:53:51 »

You guys are right. I'm going to give it a shot. I'm glad I joined this forum, so much to learn. Thank you guys for helping me out!

Temetsy

• Finland
    • b1 x25xe sedan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2014, 23:28:39 »

Just post questions here, someone will surely help :y  Good luck!

Johnny English

• Omega Baron
  • Hungary
  • English antitalent
    • 1995. 2.5 V6 LPG manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2014, 06:09:01 »

HI Batuhan,
also I met this situation and my issue was not solved by clutch change as source of trouble was transmission. The phenomenon was the same, my pedal worked normally didn't appear any difference to the former status that meant no clutch fluid loss. There were no oil drops coming from bell housing, that means slave cylinder is right, no easier pushable pedal at all that means master cylinder is also right just metallic (bar) noise was coming from the transmission when gearing. So before buying anything take a look to your clutch kit because highly possible that you need a transmission swap. Good news : it's cheaper than a clutch kit, must admit if I had to do it again I would change crank seal, too.  :y

Good luck, matey!  :)

Laszlo,    Hungary
C20NE - X25XE
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.