Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving to US  (Read 8887 times)

2boxerdogs

Re: Moving to US
« Reply #30 on: 14 February 2018, 18:38:47 »

Clearly the most important question (which I can't believe hasn't been asked yet), which honking great v8 is going to be your weapon of choice? Or is it going to be a Cadillac Catera - in true OOF fashion ;).

A great choice of muscle cars available at great prices, one perfectly sensible reason to live in the USA, my cousin is in Santa Monica he's had some beautiful cars got a Shelby Mustang at present & a Dodge ram truck for his business.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14 February 2018, 18:53:03 »

My son moved to the USA some years ago-first to LA now in a place called Dublin just outside San Francisco-first thing he did was buy a.........Focus :-X :'( :'( :'( Where did I go wrong in his upbringing :D :D ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 February 2018, 19:23:53 »

My son moved to the USA some years ago-first to LA now in a place called Dublin just outside San Francisco-first thing he did was buy a.........Focus :-X :'( :'( :'( Where did I go wrong in his upbringing :D :D ;D
Not much, he just chose to live in one of the most expensive areas in the country ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14 February 2018, 20:43:15 »

It's where he had to be for work really.When he lived in Stockholm he was with EA Games and transferred to USA [I assume he's still with same company]but I was referring more to his choice of car than his location :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 February 2018, 22:04:18 »

I would suggest you look at State/local authority unfunded pension liabilities as this is becoming a major expense for local taxes as the unfunded parts become increasingly taxes that must be raised now to pay pensions. John Mauldin of Mauldin Economics has had a number of articles in his FREE weekly news letter on this with Chicago one of the most underfunded areas in the US and iirc they are massively increasing property taxes to cover their immediate liabilities. I did enjoy a week on business in Chicago, in the early 1990s, where it is a great city. :y

Another area and Eastern tech hub worth taking a look at is Durham/Raleigh in North Carolina. I licenced software into the US through a company based there in the 1990s and it is the nicest place I've ever visited in the US. :y

Agree with you on hellA as this is the very worst city I've visited in the states. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 February 2018, 23:05:31 »

Not least because I'd want a huge 5th wheel to go touring with.

Agreed, our favourite holidays have been in RV's round the Parks in the Rockies, which we've been doing since '79 every two years, but I always fancied the 5th wheels, but never found one for rental with a prime mover. Nor, sadly, an RV with a toad. >:(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 February 2018, 23:29:10 »

Clearly the most important question (which I can't believe hasn't been asked yet), which honking great v8 is going to be your weapon of choice? Or is it going to be a Cadillac Catera - in true OOF fashion ;).

Now we're talking :y

I have been fawning over a big fat RAM3500 but until we up sticks and retire to the countryside that looks too unpractical.  I fancy another XF and the new XFR with the 3.5 supercharged motor looks very nice.

I've not heard about this. Is it very new?

Sometime this: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253415676463

0-60 in 5 seconds.

aaronjb

« Reply #37 on: 15 February 2018, 09:04:43 »

Agree with you on hellA as this is the very worst city I've visited in the states. :(

I actually really quite like LA, although the traffic is a nightmare and the state does inarguably get prettier the further away from LA you get ;D (Trying to drive from Santa Monica to Needles at the far edge of the state in a day is not advised, especially if you don't leave Santa Monica until lunchtime  :-[ ;D)

I came back from visiting our head office in Seattle last week - every time I go there I wonder if I shouldn't move out there; there's a damn sight more opportunities (work-wise) out there than here.

Don't tell Louise I said that, though!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 February 2018, 09:22:50 »

I actually really quite like LA, although the traffic is a nightmare and the state does inarguably get prettier the further away from LA you get ;D (Trying to drive from Santa Monica to Needles at the far edge of the state in a day is not advised, especially if you don't leave Santa Monica until lunchtime  :-[ ;D)

I came back from visiting our head office in Seattle last week - every time I go there I wonder if I shouldn't move out there; there's a damn sight more opportunities (work-wise) out there than here.

Don't tell Louise I said that, though!

Driving time to the airport would have to factored in a move to Hell-A.  I am sure there are some nice areas in a one hour commute to LAX but my first trip to the city involved a bus and an encounter with a chap high on ice which has probably dented my opinion of the city ever since.

aaronjb

« Reply #39 on: 15 February 2018, 09:31:08 »

Driving time to the airport would have to factored in a move to Hell-A.  I am sure there are some nice areas in a one hour commute to LAX but my first trip to the city involved a bus and an encounter with a chap high on ice which has probably dented my opinion of the city ever since.

Judging by the way the place smells, the whole city is now pretty chilled out, if you know what I mean! But yeah, reasonable driving distance to LAX puts you in (largely) undesirable territory..

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 February 2018, 11:07:45 »

Echo Park looks alright, as does Santa Monica/Venice Beach, although affordable living somewhere you might actually want to live is usually a three hour drive from anywhere  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

STEMO

« Reply #41 on: 15 February 2018, 11:28:46 »

I've had a look at all the places mentioned on here and think I prefer Barnsley.  :y

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 February 2018, 12:56:18 »

I've had a look at all the places mentioned on here and think I prefer Barnsley.  :y

Ironically, I think Barnsley is safer.

STEMO

« Reply #43 on: 15 February 2018, 12:59:34 »

Some f**kin big lads in Barnsley, who'd punch your lights out soon as look at you, but not a lot of knife crime, and no guns.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 February 2018, 13:03:02 »

Some f**kin big lads in Barnsley, who'd punch your lights out soon as look at you, but not a lot of knife crime, and no guns.

Big lads don't concern me, I'm one of them and there is a mutual respect between us.  It's the small pr!ck who thinks he needs a knife to be respected by the big fellas I worry about.  Whenever I have been attacked it has always been small, skinny runts in sufficient numbers to prevent their b******s from shrinking at the thought of taking a big bugger down.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 22 queries.