Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: posssible 2012 midlands camp weekend.  (Read 8177 times)

frenchie-V6

• burton on trent.staffs
    • View Profile
posssible 2012 midlands camp weekend.
« on: 04 December 2011, 19:22:53 »

what about a more family & kiddie orientated camp weekend for us midlands oofers. ok the idea is the fact that we all have omega,s...but, where does this leave the women & kids?..=bored. what we need is a meet that ALL the family can come to, us boys sort the cars but the wife & kids can come along & go out for a bit of fun too. No big booze ups but a beer or two isnt a great problem. a bit of family fun thats all. its not all about big boys and there toys. with this, i hope not to offend.
blame the redbaron if you want.  ::)
an honest answer please.  ;)
ingrid.  :-*
The Baron has an MV6 but i darent drive it.

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
Re: posssible 2012 midlands camp weekend.
« Reply #1 on: 04 December 2011, 19:44:43 »

what about a more family & kiddie orientated camp weekend for us midlands oofers. ok the idea is the fact that we all have omega,s...but, where does this leave the women & kids?..=bored. what we need is a meet that ALL the family can come to, us boys sort the cars but the wife & kids can come along & go out for a bit of fun too. No big booze ups but a beer or two isnt a great problem. a bit of family fun thats all. its not all about big boys and there toys. with this, i hope not to offend.

You gotta love the way the girls try to take control ;D

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
  • 3.0mv6 sal/3.0elite lpg/2.2dti estate
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 December 2011, 19:56:03 »

You gotta love the way the girls try to take control ;D
a valid point imho.
why is it a mission to go to a meet & get hammered. ???
think about the kids for a minute.

vauxhall & halfords trade cards.v6 cam locking kit.<local only.

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 December 2011, 20:20:00 »

I would'nt say its the mission to get hammered, it just reminds me of my missis she likes to spell out the conditions before we go anywhere  ;D and as for my kids you would have a bigger problem keeping them and the bar apart (both in there twenties) than you would me. However I do see your point regards the younger ones :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 December 2011, 20:35:04 »

I would'nt say its the mission to get hammered, it just reminds me of my missis she likes to spell out the conditions before we go anywhere  ;D and as for my kids you would have a bigger problem keeping them and the bar apart (both in there twenties) than you would me. However I do see your point regards the younger ones :y
thankyou. all we would like is a kiddie friendly meet. with good behaviour. :y

Omega32E

• Leicestershire
    • Omega 3.2 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 December 2011, 20:48:56 »

Wonder how many on here still have younger kids, I only say this cause mind are constantly telling me my car is an old mans car and I'm 45 and as stated mine are in there twenties and a bit past the bouncy castle stage, however if there are some youngsters kicking about what sort of venue/attraction have you in mind?.

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 December 2011, 21:01:33 »

have a venue in the pipeline, a show that covers all interests really. more details to follow if enough folks would be up for a weekend meet. derbyshire area. early august.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2011, 00:47:39 »

Miss Vamps. aged 11, and I might be interested, not sure what car I would arrive in though.... :D, best keep swmbo out of the way though.... :D :D
« Last Edit: 05 December 2011, 00:49:31 by Vamps »

omega2012

• Kettering, Northampton
  • Web Designer / Web Host
    • 1999 2.0 16v CDX
    • View Profile
    • Business-HostingUK
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2011, 19:20:19 »

This is something i would be interested in, think my mrs would like it, kid not that old tho, so she probz will not get it but would be nice to get out and about! any ideas on locations?

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2011, 20:27:15 »

As a Wife, mum of 2 and an OOFer I think I can honestly say that a meet is what you make of it, our boys age 4 and 7 have been to all of the Lakes meets and the last 3 Newent meets plus a York meet and numerous day gatherings.  If you have the confidence to go off and do things with your kids while men stand round with their hands in their pockets looking at one bloke working then that's fab.  If not then I guess you need to accept what OOF meets are and get on with it.

They are generally held on family friendly sites which are safe for children to run about on.  I don't really see the need for a family friendly meet as that's ruling out a fair few people who don't have children and to me defeats the object of OOF!

Our boys absolutely love going to these meets, they've made loads of friends and look forward to seeing regular faces again.  The OOF widows, those that don't have children with them, are also very good at going off shopping etc.

At the end of the day its a car club meet, its only for a weekend, if you don't like your bloke going off to drool over cars, don't come!  Let him go have fun on his own!
Been there, fallen over it!

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 December 2011, 20:44:40 »

Is the Lakes meet not a big family type one? Not that I've been to one except the first one  ::)

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 December 2011, 20:57:54 »

Is the Lakes meet not a big family type one? Not that I've been to one except the first one  ::)

As family as OOF gets! :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2011, 21:01:39 »

About time you came to another then, lazy, good-for-nothing student. And bring yer woman, so I can meet her properly, not talk to her on a gay dating site ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2011, 21:06:11 »

As a Wife, mum of 2 and an OOFer I think I can honestly say that a meet is what you make of it, our boys age 4 and 7 have been to all of the Lakes meets and the last 3 Newent meets plus a York meet and numerous day gatherings.  If you have the confidence to go off and do things with your kids while men stand round with their hands in their pockets looking at one bloke working then that's fab.  If not then I guess you need to accept what OOF meets are and get on with it.

They are generally held on family friendly sites which are safe for children to run about on.  I don't really see the need for a family friendly meet as that's ruling out a fair few people who don't have children and to me defeats the object of OOF!

Our boys absolutely love going to these meets, they've made loads of friends and look forward to seeing regular faces again.  The OOF widows, those that don't have children with them, are also very good at going off shopping etc.

At the end of the day its a car club meet, its only for a weekend, if you don't like your bloke going off to drool over cars, don't come!  Let him go have fun on his own!
Not often I feel compelled to agree with Ljay :o, but that was my understanding (ie, all meets are family friendly), but maybe I've missed something?

Basically, the way I see it, people are free to do whatever they like during the day - play around on site, go out on their own as families, go out with other OOFers, be it the zoo, museums, shopping etc.  OK, naturally there is an evening get together, and people do over indulge ::)

Its unclear if the Lakes 2012 is going ahead yet, so we may be after another venue ::)
Grumpy old man

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 December 2011, 23:43:38 »

Its unclear if the Lakes 2012 is going ahead yet, so we may be after another venue ::)

Problem?  Have I missed something??   :-\

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 December 2011, 12:51:56 »

I don't think DLK wants the hassle of organising it again.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 December 2011, 13:53:16 »

Despite the dire six hour journey in torential rain last time and the screw in tyre episode the year before, i'd still make the effort to go again.  :y

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 December 2011, 15:02:09 »

Not often I feel compelled to agree with Ljay :o, but that was my understanding (ie, all meets are family friendly), but maybe I've missed something?

Basically, the way I see it, people are free to do whatever they like during the day - play around on site, go out on their own as families, go out with other OOFers, be it the zoo, museums, shopping etc.  OK, naturally there is an evening get together, and people do over indulge ::)

that being the point you may have missed. do you call over indulging something thats kiddie friendly, ive seen things get out of hand twice with certain members, having been in the middle of it by accident. & thats not the right picture for me to put to the children. im not saying this happens at all the meets but why cant folks drink in moderation. i think thats the whole point of op,s post of a kiddie friendly meet.
only my tuppenth worth but there you go. :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 December 2011, 15:14:04 »

I think meets on this thread are being unfairly portrayed as a rowdy pish up, thats not the case on any of the ones I've been to.

I've ridden the BMW to one meet, where number of us consumed no alcohol.

Omegas are mainly owned by men, as such the meets tend to be men type events. Beer. Cars. Drinking. Talking crap.

Family's do come & have been welcome at all ones I've been to, they can either do their own thing or get involved.

Think a mountain is being made of a mole hill here....

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 December 2011, 16:00:47 »

A dry, kiddie friendly car club meet, hmmm, interesting concept that.  Might I suggest taking your sheltered little darlings to Butlins! :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 December 2011, 16:20:01 »

that being the point you may have missed. do you call over indulging something thats kiddie friendly, ive seen things get out of hand twice with certain members, having been in the middle of it by accident. & thats not the right picture for me to put to the children. im not saying this happens at all the meets but why cant folks drink in moderation. i think thats the whole point of op,s post of a kiddie friendly meet.
only my tuppenth worth but there you go. :)

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. I may have missed the events in question. People have been known to get a little tiddly, largely after any child's bed time anyway. Things have been attempted that weren't, on the face of it, very wise, words were said and the voice of reason respected. That's about as far as anything has got IME. I've seen collections of sober adults get more "out of hand" than that, TBH. You make it sound like a drunken brawl which, as I say, I may have missed as I don't go to every meet. Generally, whilst some alcohol is consumed at meets, I would say that the majority of people present still have a relatively clear head on their shoulders and that there's remarkably little trouble.

I would say that most people do drink in moderation at meets. Obviously we all have our own view of what that entails but, as far as I am concerned, as long as you have the presence of mind to behave responsibly in front of any kids present, don't set out to pick fights and be argumentative, and can find the correct tent at the end of the evening, or, otherwise, provide an amusing spectacle whilst trying to do so, crack on.  ;)

I suspect a meet with "rationed" alcohol would be less than popular with most. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 December 2011, 16:42:19 »

I suspect a meet with "rationed" alcohol would be less than popular with most. ;)

Yup, I certainly wouldn't be there if beer were rationned.

Huh?  What do you mean that'd be a positive  >:( ::) ;D ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 December 2011, 17:12:52 »

It wouldn't be the same without a few bottles of Gufferbraü. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 December 2011, 17:17:11 »

Can you imagine a ''dry'' OOF meet....who'd get drunk and fall over guy ropes to provide entertainment then? ??? :(

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 December 2011, 17:33:30 »

Can you imagine a ''dry'' OOF meet....who'd get drunk and fall over guy ropes to provide entertainment then? ??? :(

And of course don't forget the human buckaroo with the new 'chicken' element to the game  ;D

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 06 December 2011, 17:34:31 »

It wouldn't be the same without a few bottles of Gufferbraü. ;)

Just had a sample of the American IPA clone I made.  Omg its luverly  :P

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 06 December 2011, 18:10:25 »

And of course don't forget the human buckaroo with the new 'chicken' element to the game  ;D

Ooh so much more fun without any booze involved! ::)

To be fair I've had just as much fun sober at meets as when I've had a drink.  Before people start saying that you have to booze to enjoy! :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 December 2011, 21:49:38 »

Ooh so much more fun without any booze involved! ::)

To be fair I've had just as much fun sober at meets as when I've had a drink.  Before people start saying that you have to booze to enjoy! :y

Could get a bit tedious waiting for the first one to go to sleep, though. ;) Fear not, I have a generator and I'm getting a Nespresso machine for Christmas. I'll come prepared. ;D

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 December 2011, 22:09:58 »

why dont you lot pick on someone your own miniscule size, as it would a midlands event, of course you "wont" be attending.
you really do need to grow up. :-*

albitz

« Reply #29 on: 06 December 2011, 23:51:22 »

I have a bit of a radical idea.Those who wish to go to the meet - go. Those who dont wish to go - dont go. ;) ::)

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07 December 2011, 00:05:08 »

Having been to several meets I'm not really sure what isn't child friendly about them :-\ Certainly seems that all kiddies present are watched by many eyes in addition to the parents :y

I'm guessing that one of the incidents referred to was a very late night glass throwing incident at one of the Essex meets?  ??? If so, it was a bit OTT but certainly wasn't in front of little ones AFAI can Remember :-\

The way I see it, stick a poll up and ask... At least you'll get the answers you want :y
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

albitz

« Reply #31 on: 07 December 2011, 00:11:11 »

Essex meets finished early evening iirc ?  :-\

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 December 2011, 08:10:43 »

Having been to several meets I'm not really sure what isn't child friendly about them :-\ Certainly seems that all kiddies present are watched by many eyes in addition to the parents :y

I'm guessing that one of the incidents referred to was a very late night glass throwing incident at one of the Essex meets?  ??? If so, it was a bit OTT but certainly wasn't in front of little ones AFAI can Remember :-\

The way I see it, stick a poll up and ask... At least you'll get the answers you want :y
Anglia paul.
& Albs, yes your right. those who are not interested then please keep your opinions to yourself.
thankyou.

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 December 2011, 13:05:25 »

why dont you lot pick on someone your own miniscule size, as it would a midlands event, of course you "wont" be attending.

Ooh handbags!  Midlands, hmm, nearer than Newent I'm thinking so yes attending would be a possibility.

It's a discussion, question was asked, ideas put forward.  Not our fault you share a different view on what a meet entails to us. ::)

For what its worth we've had more grief with other peoples kids (breaking our youngsters toys, tormenting our autistic child to tears....) than we ever had with drunken adults. >:(

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 December 2011, 13:14:48 »

Ooh handbags!  Midlands, hmm, nearer than Newent I'm thinking so yes attending would be a possibility.

It's a discussion, question was asked, ideas put forward.  Not our fault you share a different view on what a meet entails to us. ::)

For what its worth we've had more grief with other peoples kids (breaking our youngsters toys, tormenting our autistic child to tears....) than we ever had with drunken adults. >:(
& your point o stroppy one...... ::)

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 December 2011, 13:19:50 »

......is to keep the spirit of OOF! ;)

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 December 2011, 13:25:26 »

so why are you constantly arguing with with the op,s idea. im sure you all understand what i/we are saying.

Debs.

« Reply #37 on: 07 December 2011, 13:30:30 »

Those who wish to go to the meet - go. Those who dont wish to go - dont go.

:P You trouble causer! ;D

The Red Baron

• Omega Lord
  • burton on trent.staffs
    • 2000 chipped mv6 3.0l
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 December 2011, 13:36:54 »

Those who wish to go to the meet - go. Those who dont wish to go - dont go.

:P You trouble causer! ;D
but true Debs.  :y

LJay

• Omega Baron
  • North Wales
  • The Acrobatics Queen!
    • 3.2 - MV6 Big Blue!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 December 2011, 15:04:36 »

so why are you constantly arguing with with the op,s idea. im sure you all understand what i/we are saying.

Discussing my dear, not arguing!  :y

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 07 December 2011, 15:14:23 »

Personally.  No.  Ive been to lots of meets, with loads of kids and families, and all have seemed perfectly family friendly to me, everyone looking out for everyone elses kids, sharing treats etc.  Most the regular attending kids have formed very good friendships as have a lot of 'partners'.  Theres always day trips out to shops, cinema, bowling, farm parks etc going on, with a few families going here, there etc.

Only family unfriendly occurence I can think of is when a certain member got a bit carried away with an axe....but that was quickly and easily resolved.  This was well past any kids bedtime anyway.

Back to the op's original post of 'an honest answer please.'  I believe she has had it...
The majority see no need to have the evenings entertainment curtailed.
Yes organise a meet by all means, but I'm still unsure exactly what you've witnessed that you don't want a repeat of, and how reduced alcohol will help.

Drink has always featured in the meets, from a few drinks to relax, to homebrew sampling, whisky tasting, and of course the port and cheeseboard time.  One or 2 may drink to excess, but not normally with nastiness that ive seen.

No need for personal insults either when you don't like others viewpoints, keep it civil and friendly please.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2011, 15:16:50 by Jimbob »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 December 2011, 17:13:44 »

The way I see it, all the meets I have been to have been 'family friendly', if they weren't, I certainly would not attend even though I don't bring any kids.

Having said that, if someone want's to organise a family and kids only meet, well that's up to them.

Now, lets just get back to the point, those that don't want to attend just give this thread a miss.

I know I will!

I like red cars

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 December 2011, 17:17:30 »

Anglia paul.
& Albs, yes your right. those who are not interested then please keep your opinions to yourself.
thankyou.

Is that not a bit ironic on a forum?  ::) Thats what forums are about?

Lets look back.....

A question is posted - "What about a kiddie focused meet?"

Most replied with an answer you did not like, so out with the hand bags and "Keep comments to yourself"  ??? ???

To me sounds like you are not getting response you wanted, so are in a bit of a huff  :-X

As has been mentioned many times, why not start a poll? Or organise a meet the way you want it run. You will get the answers/people you want.

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 December 2011, 17:53:06 »

Locking at Op's request, this has definately run its course.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.