Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Beastie...again!  (Read 2301 times)

amigov6

Beastie...again!
« on: 31 May 2009, 18:46:32 »

After much heartache & expense trying to fix the noisy from cold lifter & not wanting to spend the neck end of £200 on a new oil pump to find it does'nt help we've finally arrived at a decision. Markey Mark's bought an Elite to break with 10k less on the clock & fully stamped book. Driven back & pulls well no problems. Both engines are coming out & we're making one good one out of the two, fitting my new bits etc. Should be ready next weekend.
     Can't wait to have her back fighting fit & kicking the a** out of the boy racers!!! 8-)

largecol

• Intermediate Member
  • Middlesbrough
  • I cant see my socks!!
    • View Profile
Re: Beastie...again!
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2009, 18:53:56 »

Fingers crossed matey! Might even get to see her sometime . . . . . if i ever get to one of the meets. ::) ::) ::) :y
Pssssst! The man in my avatar aint really me!!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2009, 18:54:55 »

Have you tried measuring the oil pressure?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2009, 22:11:33 »

After much heartache & expense trying to fix the noisy from cold lifter & not wanting to spend the neck end of £200 on a new oil pump to find it does'nt help we've finally arrived at a decision. Markey Mark's bought an Elite to break with 10k less on the clock & fully stamped book. Driven back & pulls well no problems. Both engines are coming out & we're making one good one out of the two, fitting my new bits etc. Should be ready next weekend.
     Can't wait to have her back fighting fit & kicking the a** out of the boy racers!!! 8-)

Apparently thats what my 2.2 had.....according to MDTM....break me used to knock like like a good en on a really cold day....for 30 secs....still sold it for what i thought good money.....and the buyer heard the knock   :D

amigov6

« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2009, 22:13:49 »

This one knocked for the first few miles despite changing the lifters twice!!! Had to be a tired pump not reaching the furthest lifter til the oil wamed & thinned out. It was getting worse as well which is a shame as silent when warm. I like to keep cars original but i've spent it's value again already, some on cometics & bose/leather/exhaust upgrades so i'm determined to enjoy her for a year or two.
     2 more meets impending!!!! :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2009, 22:26:10 »

I had a Rover 827 and all the valves rattled on start up, soon went quiet, they were all like that...... ::) ::) ::)

Good luck with the plan.......... Got to hear that 'Sound' again.......... :y :y :y even with a caravan on the back..... :D :D :D

amigov6

« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2009, 22:51:25 »

I had a Rover 827 and all the valves rattled on start up, soon went quiet, they were all like that...... ::) ::) ::)

Good luck with the plan.......... Got to hear that 'Sound' again.......... :y :y :y even with a caravan on the back..... :D :D :D
Unhitch = playtime...ask Ian!!! :y 8-)

Tony H

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
  • Black Elites are luurvley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2009, 23:30:03 »

This one knocked for the first few miles despite changing the lifters twice!!! Had to be a tired pump not reaching the furthest lifter til the oil wamed & thinned out. It was getting worse as well which is a shame as silent when warm. I like to keep cars original but i've spent it's value again already, some on cometics & bose/leather/exhaust upgrades so i'm determined to enjoy her for a year or two.
Turn the Bose up  8-) you won't hear it :)
Be aware of mole holes be very aware!

amigov6

« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2009, 23:42:46 »

Hi Tony. Captain Zok said the same but i'm a car tart, it has to be right plus if an oil pump goes completely..... :'( :'(

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2009, 00:10:30 »

Hi Tony. Captain Zok said the same but i'm a car tart, it has to be right plus if an oil pump goes completely..... :'( :'(

Car had 80k or so on it when I bought it and it tapped a bit.

Dunno what mile son it now - low 100's? - bet it still pulls like a good 'un despite a wee tap early doors.

Why spend more cash on an unknown with no asurance it will rectify?

I'd leave it.  If it aint broke, etc.....  ;)

amigov6

« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2009, 18:58:47 »

Car had 80k or so on it when I bought it and it tapped a bit.

Dunno what mile son it now - low 100's? - bet it still pulls like a good 'un despite a wee tap early doors.

Why spend more cash on an unknown with no asurance it will rectify?

I'd leave it.  If it aint broke, etc.....  ;)
Hi B. If it was just a sticky lifter i'd replace it but the fact we've replaced all the lifters twice with no improvement indicates a potentially serious problem or the risk of. I have asked for & recieved lot's of advice on here & tried everything before arriving at this decision. The "tapping" has grown louder & taking longer to desist (nearly 111k now) so being the tart i am i can't ignore it or the comments of "what's up with that" etc. but that's just me, the whole car must be perfect!!! Once the swap is completed, we are going to pull everything apart & if there is a fault that can be rectified may sort & refit.
     The car is a peach & i adore it so it's gotta be 100%!!! 8-)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 June 2009, 10:10:47 »

Hi B. If it was just a sticky lifter i'd replace it but the fact we've replaced all the lifters twice with no improvement indicates a potentially serious problem or the risk of. I have asked for & recieved lot's of advice on here & tried everything before arriving at this decision. The "tapping" has grown louder & taking longer to desist (nearly 111k now) so being the tart i am i can't ignore it or the comments of "what's up with that" etc. but that's just me, the whole car must be perfect!!! Once the swap is completed, we are going to pull everything apart & if there is a fault that can be rectified may sort & refit.

Hence my question about the oil pressure. If the lifters are known to be good it must be their oil supply.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

amigov6

« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2009, 18:01:47 »

Hence my question about the oil pressure. If the lifters are known to be good it must be their oil supply.

Kevin
Hi Kevin. I forgot to reply to you lastnight, sorry. I'm reliably informed you need a certain type of gauge to test the pump pressure output which costs £30. I'd probably never use it again. Must admit i hav'nt asked if i could borrow one but that would involve nearly the same cost in return postage or fuel. Changing the engine was not my first choice believe me but i've spent out & been dissapointed twice now. I'd rather stick wasps up my a**e than lash out on a pump & labour (cheap as Markey Mark is bless him) than go through it a third time.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2009, 23:55:01 »

Fair enough. Not sure what thread the oil pressure switch has but I'd be inclined to find a cheap capillary gauge that fits - just for a quick check in case the oil pump / relief valve are causing problems.

I appreciate that you're probably past the stage of wanting to experiment so a known good replacement lump is not such a bad choice - especially if it's had an oil pressure problem, because it will give you a chance to check the bottom end of the original engine thoroughly for other related issues.

Kevin

James Q

• Colchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 June 2009, 13:08:20 »

sounds like the replacement lump isn't a bad idea, the last thing u want is for it to go bang!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.