Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bought another high mileage Astra  (Read 4481 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Bought another high mileage Astra
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2019, 22:13:34 »

So, we've bought astra for £600, then spent nearly £300 on spares and tools, and sundries. Which by my maths is £900 so far.   £50 train, £50 fuel. Still leaves £100.... Is it me. Or have I missed something. Well except he might not want my barge, but there's got to be other motors down that way if distanceis the problem
Terry likes his cars to have all 3 pedals Mr biggriffin  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 April 2019, 22:44:46 »

I only ever drove one manual omega (2.5 diseasal) and admittedly not very far, but it was bloody horrible  :-\

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13 April 2019, 23:02:24 »

the water pump can be changed whenever ,not driven by the toothed timing belt  :y
however...
you may as well while you have the aux belt off anyway(4 bolts) ,and , buying just a pump on it's own will cost £25+ ,so cheaper to buy a kit with toothed belt,water pump,deflection roller and tensioner and do it once ,
i went for a gates kit myself but that's about £5 more if you pick the right one (complicated as it's listed as corsa )
On the V6 Omegas I think forum policy has changed about changing water pumps with cam belts. On the in line fours, with the cam belt using the water pump as a pulley it may still be policy to change the pump with the cam belt.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 April 2019, 23:04:50 »

I only ever drove one manual omega (2.5 diseasal) and admittedly not very far, but it was bloody horrible  :-\

Big cars have 2 pedals.  Small cars have 3 pedals.

It's the law!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 April 2019, 23:17:26 »

the water pump can be changed whenever ,not driven by the toothed timing belt  :y
however...
you may as well while you have the aux belt off anyway(4 bolts) ,and , buying just a pump on it's own will cost £25+ ,so cheaper to buy a kit with toothed belt,water pump,deflection roller and tensioner and do it once ,
i went for a gates kit myself but that's about £5 more if you pick the right one (complicated as it's listed as corsa )
On the V6 Omegas I think forum policy has changed about changing water pumps with cam belts. On the in line fours, with the cam belt using the water pump as a pulley it may still be policy to change the pump with the cam belt.

If the pump is driven by the cam belt, then it's always part of the belt change. Doesn't matter what the engine is or whatever it's fitted to.

If the pump isn't driven by the cam belt, then it's discretionary.

The original OOF suggestion to change the V6 pump with the belt was for preventative maintenance because a genuine GM pump was very cheap. They're no longer cheap, so the suggestion is that it makes more financial sense to leave it until fails. Which ought to be a very long time. Of course, you don't have to buy a genuine pump ;D  Personally, I prefer not to disturb parts unnecessarily

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 April 2019, 23:34:52 »

I drove 100,000 miles in my first Omega (2.5 V6 CD manual) then 100,000 miles in my 2nd (2.6 V6 Elite auto) then about 5,000 miles in a 3.2 V6 MV6 auto.

The Omega manual box doesn't have a slick change and the clutch is just heavy enough that I used to get back ache and knee pain.

What I miss in the auto is being able to select the gear I want when I want. The V6 is a silky smooth engine with a bulge in the torque curve which the auto hides from you. It is 10 years since I last drove the manual so I can't remember the precise numbers but recollect being able to drop it into 3rd at just over tick-over (550rpm) then give it full throttle and wait while it gently built momentum up to about 3000rpm and then got more urgent (and vocal) as the inlet flaps did their thing.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 April 2019, 23:49:10 »

A manual Omega (with correctly set suspension) can be just as rewarding to drive as a hot hatch If not more so 8)

The gear change is only clunky if you try and force it. Certainly wouldn't have put 190k miles on my plod estate if it wasn't nice to drive.

The clutch is pretty standard hydraulic in its feel and operation ;)

Next car will be auto, but only because it was never available as a manual and the parts to make it one are rarer than a unicorn carrying a basket of rockinghorse poo...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 April 2019, 11:22:48 »

Buying any used car is gamble. As I buy used Astras I learn what matters to me - specification, MOT history, condition, proximity, price, mileage, age. After 7 years most cars are out of warranty and have been sold by their original purchasers, and are being serviced by independents, which can mean oil and plugs changed, tyres ticked, and little else. I am amazed how long they last.

I am also surprised how skilfully their owners manage to avoid scratching them. This car has done well.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 April 2019, 11:56:54 »

Seems the play in the steering has been an ongoing problem for many years but no one has bothered to resolve  :-\
and quite rare that a July 2006 car is 4 stud wheels
I think it would be time well spent to see if you can track down why the steering has play NOW , rather than risking waiting till MOT time in 4 months
IIRC you have a pit  :-\ so could observe steering movement with an assistant ,weight of car on the wheels .
does look like it will tidy up with some spit and polish  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 April 2019, 12:18:54 »

Looked at one way you could say 150,000mls makes it a high miler,but it's a 13yr old car so that averages at just over 11,000 a year which is there or thereabouts to average mileage.Does look good for an '06 plater[I've seen much worse] I'd check out/fix the steering play issue asap though.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 April 2019, 13:55:55 »

Seems the play in the steering has been an ongoing problem for many years but no one has bothered to resolve  :-\
and quite rare that a July 2006 car is 4 stud wheels
I think it would be time well spent to see if you can track down why the steering has play NOW , rather than risking waiting till MOT time in 4 months
IIRC you have a pit  :-\ so could observe steering movement with an assistant ,weight of car on the wheels .
does look like it will tidy up with some spit and polish  :)
Unusual to have drum handbrakes too. I suppose Astras were assembled on several sites. Good news to me as the 04 Astra that seized up during MOT emissions test also has 4 stud wheels with good tyres on, now I can use them. But that car has disc handbrake, so not the same site.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 April 2019, 14:29:19 »

Ah , still have that one ,that will be a good source of spares then  :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 April 2019, 17:20:17 »

They all are. Driven no end of them, and they are all horrid.  I would, however, have to concede that the 2.5TD does need a manual, the auto just isn't suited.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 April 2019, 20:06:59 »

Ah , still have that one ,that will be a good source of spares then  :)
It has already provided heater fan relays, heater fan, rear brake calipers, front pads, and more. Had a code pop up on the Astra today, and JamesV6CDX  mentioned the MAF sensor. I have a spare for that too.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 April 2019, 20:00:55 »

locking kit £12.21 Buy it now

kit inc water pump £79.95

why you insist on buying such high mile cars I will never know  ;D
for £600 you can pick them up nearer 100k  some with 12 months mot  :-X
Cam belt kit and tool kit have arrived. Not sure whta all these tools are for. Will it become obvious as I follow Haynes?

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.