Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't shoot me just yet... Winter tyre question...  (Read 3932 times)

05omegav6

Don't shoot me just yet... Winter tyre question...
« on: 01 October 2015, 17:14:26 »

I know... ::) :-[

Basically both cars need tyres soon... 18"s have about 1500 miles left and are on my daily plod bus. 16"s two have about 1000 miles left and two are, umm, barely legal, and are on my currently un Motd Elite. Ultimately they will be swapped, but not this week.

Budget being such as it is, I can get decent (5+mm) used winter tyres in both sizes for around £120-150 a set. In 16" black and round new tyres start at about £40, 18"s about £50 but would prefer to bide my time and replace current Goodyears like for like.

The 16"s are Runway Enduros, but given that they are utterly unobtainable, I need to look elsewhere...

Can get new 16" Acclera winters for £45 each... Anyone any experience of them? Thinking they can go on the daily for the winter. Or would I be better off getting part worn decent tyres, winter or otherwise? Have heard good things about Michelin Alpins and had Continental winters on the Merc to good effect, just not sure about the whole second hand tyre thing :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't shoot me just yet... Winter tyre question...
« Reply #1 on: 01 October 2015, 17:33:28 »

1st why do you need winter tyres, are you going on an European trek in the snow?

If answer is no just buy something to last untill, you can afford nice new black shiney ones.
Hoof'land storeman.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 October 2015, 18:06:22 »

I currently run two sets of second hand tyres on the 2.2, set of Kuhmo KU31s for general use. For my personal requirements they have been excellent. For set of 4 they cost me £100, had 6mm of tread and came on CDX alloys. Fitted 3 years ago, no problem. Bought off the forum  :y

Also got a set of Goodyear Winter Sport 3Ds which I bought for Austria road trip, driven over a couple of thousand miles in snow, slush and ice. You could really feel the extra traction they brought, really "gripping and pulling" through even fairly deep snow. Again almost new £120 set on CD alloys, again a forum purchase  :D

Not sure I'd buy another set of winters, just for UK use though.  While they would track and pull well, all the other morons in Audi's and such, will block up the roads, so you are stuffed. In Europe, they all have them, so progress can be made. No gridlock like here

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 01 October 2015, 18:14:19 »

Don't let Mr DTM hear you, he's.......erm........not too keen on part worns. ;D

STEMO

« Reply #4 on: 01 October 2015, 18:17:05 »

BTW.....I got 4 General Tire (yank) 16's on wifey so car, £50 a corner and seem fine.

http://www.barnsley-tyres.co.uk/TyreSearch/Details/9015/General+Altimax+Sport+20555R16

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2015, 18:38:35 »

Winter tyres?.......fine if you live in the north of Sweden or Canada.

We didn't need winter tyres in the good old days. Driver skill was all that was required. ::)

We should all be dead and buried....yet we seem to have survived survive without ABS....Traction control......ESP, and all that crap. ;D 

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2015, 18:40:25 »

Years ago when short of cash, and covering a fair mileage each year, I used part worns for about five years, and never had a problem. I understand the concerns about hidden damage to sidewalls etc., but careful examination should, in the main, eliminate any worries. :y

EMD

• Omega Baron
  • Noofhampton
    • 95t
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2015, 21:09:57 »

My 2 winter tyres on the rear are still on from last winter  ;D
Omegatitis

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2015, 21:15:34 »

Winter tyres?.......fine if you live in the north of Sweden or Canada.

We didn't need winter tyres in the good old days. Driver skill was all that was required. ::)

We should all be dead and buried....yet we seem to have survived without ABS....Traction control......ESP, and all that crap. ;D

Oh so very true, good Doctor :y
« Last Edit: 01 October 2015, 21:17:27 by terbert »
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 October 2015, 09:51:56 »

Some used tyre places sell tyres that look ok i.e. good brand with good tread, but have had vulcanised repairs to the shoulder area, where most manufacturers don't recommended / tyre outlets won't repair due to being right on the sidewall. Due to the flexing of the sidewall, I would avoid any tyre with any repair in this area.
Many come from Europe where the tread depth regs are different, and I know it goes without saying, but I would check any used tyre very very carefully before being fitted for being repaired near the sidewall.
If any used tyre has good tread depth, there always a good reason why it's been previously removed / replaced.
I would avoid them unless your wallet deems it necessary.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2015, 10:00:47 »

Presumably pressure tested ok and non repaired ie no repairs needed with as much tread as possible is about as much as can be hoped for :-\

Is a half worn premium tyre a better bet than a no name black and round new tyre?

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 October 2015, 10:01:53 »

Can get new 16" Acclera winters for £45 each... Anyone any experience of them? Thinking they can go on the daily for the winter.

If you're thinking of cheap winters, then I wouldn't bother dicking about changing them in the spring.  ::)

Just leave them on until they're shagged.   You might find that they're a better all round budget tyre anyway.  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 02 October 2015, 12:16:31 »

Can get new 16" Acclera winters for £45 each... Anyone any experience of them? Thinking they can go on the daily for the winter.

If you're thinking of cheap winters, then I wouldn't bother dicking about changing them in the spring.  ::)

Just leave them on until they're shagged.   You might find that they're a better all round budget tyre anyway.  ;)
Makes sense that, which helps refine the question slightly... Are half worn Michelin Alpins or similar for £140-160 a better proposition than new Acceleras for £180...

Decisions, decisions :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 October 2015, 12:20:21 »

That depends how skint you are.  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 02 October 2015, 12:58:26 »

Lol ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.