Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yesterday was not agood day to travel.  (Read 3949 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Yesterday was not agood day to travel.
« on: 04 October 2015, 20:08:20 »

It should have all been so easy.

A 180 mile trip that should have taken about 4 hours.

A three car pile up on the A52 about 10 miles from Grantham was my first delay. After inching along for the best part of an hour the road was finally closed  meaning I had to find an alternate route.

The Signum has satnav that is piss poor at redirection so I used the time honoured method of reading a map. For anyone under the age of twenty a map consists of folded paper with lots of lines and squiggles. For the purpose of clarification a map is not the same an 'app'. ::) ;D

This was followed by a major incident on the M6/M42 junction 3A.....very nasty. :-\

Although several people were taken to hospital it seems  there were no fatalities.

My four hour trip took the best part of eight hours. :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Yesterday was not agood day to travel.
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2015, 20:10:21 »

I bet you wished you were in your old Omega.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Crazycarzowner

« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2015, 20:11:25 »

:o :o :o Ouch!!!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2015, 20:14:04 »

The Signum is pretty comfortable.

What really pissed me off was that I was forced to stare at the 'lard arsed' rump of an Insignia as we queued on the M6 car park.

Not a pretty sight, Sir Tig.......I liken it to the fat bird from the chip shop. ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2015, 20:16:22 »

The A52 accident, had been advertised, fairly heavily on the wireless, you could have diverted towards Melton, then A46, going  m69, depending on your destination.
You cant beat old skool navigation.
Hoof'land storeman.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2015, 20:33:46 »

The A52 accident, had been advertised, fairly heavily on the wireless, you could have diverted towards Melton, then A46, going  m69, depending on your destination.
You cant beat old skool navigation.
BG, I cut across from the A52 to the A46.......then M1....M69.....M6 ...M42. :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2015, 20:42:09 »

A three car pile up on the A52 about 10 miles from Grantham was my first delay. After inching along for the best part of an hour the road was finally closed  meaning I had to find an alternate route.

The Signum has satnav that is piss poor at redirection so I used the time honoured method of reading a map. For anyone under the age of twenty a map consists of folded paper with lots of lines and squiggles. For the purpose of clarification a map is not the same an 'app'. ::) ;D

This was followed by a major incident on the M6/M42 junction 3A.....very nasty. :-\

Although several people were taken to hospital it seems  there were no fatalities.

Best take the pessimist approach. Allow 8 hours for the journey and be chuffed to bits if it only takes 4 hours. That is what I do with Leicester to Portpatrick via the M6 grimway.(allow 8 hours and be chuffed to get there in six). Roll on Smart motorways and more proactive traffic control
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2015, 20:48:22 »

Roll on teleportation.  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2015, 20:53:39 »

Best take the pessimist approach. Allow 8 hours for the journey and be chuffed to bits if it only takes 4 hours. That is what I do with Leicester to Portpatrick via the M6 grimway.(allow 8 hours and be chuffed to get there in six). Roll on Smart motorways and more proactive traffic control

Don't work.
 problem is more traffic fighting for less road space, they need to build, larger roads. But wont happen.
Hoof'land storeman.

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 04 October 2015, 21:20:07 »

The Signum is pretty comfortable.

What really pissed me off was that I was forced to stare at the 'lard arsed' rump of an Insignia as we queued on the M6 car park.

Not a pretty sight, Sir Tig.......I liken it to the fat bird from the chip shop. ;)
And like said bird, the Insignias talents are hidden deep, but abundantly there nevertheless  :-*

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 October 2015, 21:21:53 »

Phew...lucky I missed that accident on the M6/M42....all clear when I came through on my way back from Cosford. I assume it was earlier in the day. :(
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2015, 21:49:18 »

A blockage on a traditional motorway is 3 lanes of stationary traffic, and the hard shoulder clear for emergency vehicles. Converting that to a 'smart' motorway gives four lanes of stationary traffic and nowhere for the emergency vehicles to get through.

Which means it takes even longer for the blockage to be cleared.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2015, 22:13:40 »

Oh. I thought that if there is a blockage then traffic gets diverted according to where you want to go. If lane 1 and 2 are blocked it will close those and tell you to get into lane 3. I know that for heavy traffic they will use the hard shoulder as a fourth lane.

My question then would be, if there is an accident and the "control centre" sees that all lanes are stationary, would they then take the decision to divert traffic off rather than just let it all pile up. The Smart thing would be to alert drivers to accident 23.6 miles ahead best leave at jct 23 . 
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2015, 11:28:34 »

Oh. I thought that if there is a blockage then traffic gets diverted according to where you want to go. If lane 1 and 2 are blocked it will close those and tell you to get into lane 3. I know that for heavy traffic they will use the hard shoulder as a fourth lane.

My question then would be, if there is an accident and the "control centre" sees that all lanes are stationary, would they then take the decision to divert traffic off rather than just let it all pile up. The Smart thing would be to alert drivers to accident 23.6 miles ahead best leave at jct 23 .

I finally came to a halt some 5 miles from the accident.

It took one and a half hours to branch off for the M42.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2015, 11:33:52 »

I would have thought you had the CD70 Nav in your Signum which is brilliant at redirection and auto re-routes before you get to the blockages.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2015, 11:49:45 »

The problem with all this is the people driving the cars. Lots of drivers I see aren't thinking any further ahead than the car in front. You can put up as many signs as you like, with plenty of warning that will still be ignored until they've driven right up to the obstruction. This then leaves the entire road blocked up with vehicles that have nowhere to go until the obstruction is cleared.

Smart motorways are a cheap way of adding another working lane. Until something goes wrong, at which point the 'smart' part disappears instantly and we're stuck with relying people's intelligence and better nature. In a traffic jam!!!

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2015, 12:28:19 »

I would have thought you had the CD70 Nav in your Signum which is brilliant at redirection and auto re-routes before you get to the blockages.

I have yet to find anything better than google maps for that.  The Nissan set comes close but the traffic updates are slow and you are often on top of a slow-down before it can reroute you.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2015, 12:39:03 »

I do have the CD70 Nav.

Not a peep from the system with regard to redirection and auto re-route.

I shall have a long read of the manual. :)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2015, 12:48:52 »

Yes, it picks up TMC from Classic FM (has dual tuner) and works very well.

It then prompts if you wish to accept the direction when a more effective route is detected.

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2015, 12:54:25 »

Probably a simple check box in the settings menu :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05 October 2015, 12:56:41 »

I do have the CD70 Nav.

Not a peep from the system with regard to redirection and auto re-route.

I shall have a long read of the manual. :)

So you have all the kit and no fickin idea ;D ;D ;)
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05 October 2015, 12:58:43 »

Its the dynamic guidance setting.

aaronjb

« Reply #23 on: 05 October 2015, 13:28:30 »

I have the same in the BMW (traffic from Classic FM) and Ranger (I assume also from Classic FM) - it lags a long ways behind TomTom live traffic updates, I find.. sometimes 30 minutes or more. Then again the tuner in the BMW is .. less than spectacular.

Speaking of people merging etc; Friday gone I did Barmston (near Bridlington)-> York -> Halifax -> Shepley -> Northampton -> Bracknell..

The first half reminded me what 'rush hour' in a rural setting is like (i.e. peaceful, 60mph on A roads etc), the second half allowed me to point out the remarkably large difference between Shipley and Shepley to my other half and the last half reminded me that people drive like self abusers on motorways, managed or otherwise, especially around Luton (why always Luton!?).

I arrived at one point where roadworks were being set out and reduced the motorway from three lanes to one (just the nearside). Signposted on the overhead signs for probably three miles out were the white "Move over" arrows. From a mile out the red "Lane closed" crosses.

So why was there a car beside me trying to push me onto the hard shoulder when he was suddenly surprised by the appearance of cones in L2? FFS. >:( >:( (and yes, I was being bloody-minded at the time and made him stop and wait for a gap!)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05 October 2015, 15:27:15 »

Spot on Nick W. I suspect that most folk look only as far as the car in front.  Horribly frightening.

Sat nav, as good as it is, will destroy what vestige people had of a sense of direction or common sense. I had to laugh at the person who recently flew to Grenada thinking it was Granada (in Spain).

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2015, 15:35:18 »

Spot on Nick W. I suspect that most folk look only as far as the car in front.  Horribly frightening.

Sat nav, as good as it is, will destroy what vestige people had of a sense of direction or common sense. I had to laugh at the person who recently flew to Grenada thinking it was Granada (in Spain).
:o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 October 2015, 22:56:53 »

M'lud, you should of realised at the time that it was a mistake getting rid of both your personal helicopter and private jet. :P :P :P :P Now you have to sit in traffic queues like the rest of us rif-raff. ::) ::) ::) ::)
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

aaronjb

« Reply #27 on: 10 October 2015, 00:30:27 »

Tonight was nearly not a good night to travel; traffic came to a halt on the exit slip from M25-M3, I stopped but the person (quite a long way, several bus lengths!) behind me failed to notice a bright orange pickup with it's brake lights on.

That sinking feeling as I looked in the rear view mirror and realised I'd stopped just a bit too close to the fella in front to have an escape plan.

Luckily Mondeotwonk swerved into the shoulder and stopped partly alongside me.

When we started moving again he then proceeded to drive right up my arris as if it were my fault he wasn't paying attention and he wanted to intimidate me  ::) ::) ::) some people need help.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 10 October 2015, 19:52:15 »

Couldn,t you have flashed your warrant card at him or is that frowned on when you,re off duty? ???
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.