Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question about Insurance.  (Read 1901 times)

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
A Question about Insurance.
« on: 06 October 2015, 23:09:34 »

Hypothetically, if one should receive a renewal quotation for car insurance, accept it and authorise payment, and a few hours later have an incident resulting in a possible claim. Should one declare it, even though the new insurance has not yet commenced and would probably
 result in a revised quotation if the possible claim was known about?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: A Question about Insurance.
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2015, 00:10:10 »

best  to tell them. I assume you've paid for next year a little early and your bump has occurred in 'this years' policy rather than 'next years'  :-\ :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2015, 00:14:12 »

Indeed, it will come out in the wash... Be assumed as a fault claim and the new premium will be corrected once the claim is settled, regardless of outcome :y

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2015, 09:12:57 »

Absolutely, tell them - you should always tell insurers everything material at any point during the policy term - if you don't and you claim they will find out and it will cost you.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2015, 10:03:12 »

Don't forget you can go online and get quotes including a revised accident/claim history. You can change all sorts of mileage, number of points on your licence, etc all you like, to 'play' with the final figure, to see what a claim will cost you.

Not suggesting you actually defraud the insurers, as said, that will come out in the wash. But if, for instance, you've scraped and dinged your wing, and thinking 'ahh, I might claim on my insurance for this' then you'd be wiser to get it sorted yourself, as the cost of excess, plus the increase on premium will be fair and above the cost of a respray/scratchmatch.
If, on the other hand, you've scraped your neighbours car, then of course, your insurers will have to be made aware of that.

If I came off the road one evening, did some damage to my car, then sorry, but there's no way I'd be ringing them up for the sake of a new bumper and some paint, I could sort before tomorrow evening. The massively increased premium would kill my being able to afford to run my car. I know there's those who ring their insurers to tell them they're using a new kind of polish on their car, and please hike my premium a bit for the privilege, but unless anyone has been injured, or property damaged in any way, then I'd be keeping it to my self.

Letter of the law states, of course, you should tell them everything. For the purposes of this thread, that's what I'm saying.  :) Just not what I'd necessarily do in every situation. Hypothetically.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2015, 11:17:54 »

Don't forget you can go online and get quotes including a revised accident/claim history. You can change all sorts of mileage, number of points on your licence, etc all you like, to 'play' with the final figure, to see what a claim will cost you.

That's a good idea. :y

Having had 35 claim free years, I am not sure, do you still pay the excess if the claim is for damage to only the third party's vehicle?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2015, 12:14:42 »

Honest anwser is a pretty useless 'dunno' but I'd imagine so. Appreciate what you're saying, though, if you're not claiming for your own, why pay the excess? Like I say, I'd say 60% 'yes', but in truth no idea  :-[
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2015, 14:42:37 »

That's a good idea. :y

Having had 35 claim free years, I am not sure, do you still pay the excess if the claim is for damage to only the third party's vehicle?
You only pay the excess for YOUR claim, not the third party. If you don't claim from your policy for a fault accident then there's no excess to pay.

If it was a non fault accident, then you either claim on your policy pay your excess and have it reimbursed once the third party repay your insurers... or you claim directly from the third party and pay nothing.

Either way, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE RELEASE YOUR CAR TO ANYONE WITHOUT A WRITTEN GUARANTEE THAT IT IS BEING REPAIRED.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2015, 16:10:59 »

I had a similar thing a few years ago when i shunted someone who stopped for no apparent reason, (crash for cash?). I was still running on my old insurance for the last few days before new one kicked in, using a different company. The old company were excellent in dealing with the claim and the repair on my old PFL. I thought that they would write it off but as it didn,t have any aircon rads in the front to take the impact, (very low speed,) it was just a cross member straighten and new bumper fitted. Informed new insurer of collision but premium cost remained as original quote so was well pleased. Also old insurer helped when ambulance chasers tried to get their costs back from me re the claim for whiplash that the third party put in. The woman in the passenger seat already had a neck brace on when she leapt out of the car :D. We both contested it and the claim was dismissed. So yeah, tell your insurers  as in my case it was my fault in the eyes of the law.

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2015, 21:51:30 »

Is it best to wait until contacted by the third party with a quote for the repairs, or tell the insurance company now that there is most likely a claim on the way?

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2015, 22:02:36 »

Is it best to wait until contacted by the third party with a quote for the repairs, or tell the insurance company now that there is most likely a claim on the way?
Tell the insurers now... Why you haven't yet is a puzzle... And let them sort it out.

Figureman52

• Intermediate Member
  • Nottingham
    • 2.6 CD Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2015, 22:17:41 »

Was thinking if the bill was not too high to keep it away from insurers, but after this discussion that would probably not be a good idea.

05omegav6

« Reply #12 on: 07 October 2015, 22:31:29 »

Was thinking if the bill was not too high to keep it away from insurers, but after this discussion that would probably not be a good idea.
That only works if no other vehicle/person/property was involved. You previously mention a bump with a BMW... Unless you own and were driving both cars... You need to report it and if any damage/injuries has occurred to Third party/property/vehicles then you havean obligation to report it to the Police as well, within seven days iirc...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.