Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibration at 80mph  (Read 4092 times)

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Vibration at 80mph
« Reply #15 on: 17 November 2014, 20:26:29 »

Why don't we just have a suitable / sensible speed limit that we all stick to and is actually enforced? Would love to understand the social process that has occured where speed 'limits' are now seen as flexible. (I include myself in that sometime)
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 November 2014, 23:14:14 »

Why don't we just have a suitable / sensible speed limit that we all stick to and is actually enforced? Would love to understand the social process that has occured where speed 'limits' are now seen as flexible. (I include myself in that sometime)

The simple and logical answer is that a speed limit is only as good as the read-outs (the speedometers) in cars.

Increase the speed-limit to 100mph, and you have the 10% rule (acceptable variation in speedo), so technically, someone doing 110MPH could not be prosecuted.

I believe the law is 10% + 2.  So, at Motorway limits (70MPH) the 'allowed' speed is actually 79MPH.

On all the motorway roadworks at the moment and the SPECS set at 50MPH, I bang the cruise on an indicated 55MPH and I've not had a ticket yet.  Bear in mind I'm probably only doing 51 or 52MPH.  I'd guess the SPECS are set to report at 57MPH.  In that, I am well below the limit (at the indicated 55MPH).
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 November 2014, 00:21:59 »

Digressing from the OP

it p's me off when I'm following a car at 33/34 in a 30 which then stays at 33/34 in a 40 limit & the same again in a 60/NSL!  >:( >:( READ THE FRIGGING SIGNS ..........

and don't come the 'speed limits aren't a target' routine  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #18 on: 18 November 2014, 01:15:32 »

Digressing from the OP

it p's me off when I'm following a car at 33/34 in a 30 which then stays at 33/34 in a 40 limit & the same again in a 60/NSL!  >:( >:( READ THE FRIGGING SIGNS ..........

Aren't they? :o

Must have missed that memo... ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 November 2014, 12:40:24 »

Digressing from the OP

Aren't they? :o

Must have missed that memo... ::)

No, they're guidance for the rising percentage of drivers who can only "drive by numbers". Give them a 40 MPH bend in the wet in a 60 MPH speed limit and they are straight into the undergrowth, so a 40 MPH limit it has to be.  ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 November 2014, 17:21:45 »

The simple and logical answer is that a speed limit is only as good as the read-outs (the speedometers) in cars.

Increase the speed-limit to 100mph, and you have the 10% rule (acceptable variation in speedo), so technically, someone doing 110MPH could not be prosecuted.

I believe the law is 10% + 2.  So, at Motorway limits (70MPH) the 'allowed' speed is actually 79MPH.

On all the motorway roadworks at the moment and the SPECS set at 50MPH, I bang the cruise on an indicated 55MPH and I've not had a ticket yet.  Bear in mind I'm probably only doing 51 or 52MPH.  I'd guess the SPECS are set to report at 57MPH.  In that, I am well below the limit (at the indicated 55MPH).

When I did the dreaded safety course recently, we were asked for various ways to avoid speeding. I proposed cruise, which I try to use as you do. " No No no", says the instructor ( a lady advanced motorcycle trainer ???), "that will reduce your attention on the speed." ??? ??? ??? :-X

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 18 November 2014, 17:34:30 »

When I did the dreaded safety course recently, we were asked for various ways to avoid speeding. I proposed cruise, which I try to use as you do. " No No no", says the instructor ( a lady advanced motorcycle trainer ???), "that will reduce your attention on the speed." ??? ??? ??? :-X

If I'd been in your shoes there would probably have been an audible "pop" as my brain imploded at that point..

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 November 2014, 17:38:35 »

If I'd been in your shoes there would probably have been an audible "pop" as my brain imploded at that point..

Well I must admit, I immediately said "What utter rubbish", which she chose to ignore, fortunately, as I still passed.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 November 2014, 09:58:35 »

Reminds me of that bit I read in one of Clarkson's books - he was attending a 'road safety how to drive properly advanced motorist jobby course day lecture things' and he lost any faith in what the instructor was saying when they told him the correct, safe way to overtake a vehicle is to move over to the right hand side of the road then change down a gear, then accelerate  :o  :o
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 19 November 2014, 10:46:38 »

That is pretty much the order it happens if you're driving an automatic turbo diesel :'(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 November 2014, 10:54:23 »

That is pretty much the order it happens if you're driving an automatic turbo diesel :'(

is it?  ::)

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 19 November 2014, 10:58:23 »

Yup... Indicate, foot down, pull out, ecu wakes up, car kicks down, this wakes the turbo and the car finally accelerates properly... Granted, that process only takes a second or two, but... :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 November 2014, 11:36:52 »

Yup that's about right  ::)

Strangely I find myself slowing a little, leaving a nicer gap, then indicating, throttle, then pull out, acceleration. Does means sometimes a slightly unnerving gap between the right hand corner of the lorry trailer and the nearside Omegas headlight, though!  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

chrisgixer

« Reply #28 on: 19 November 2014, 12:32:05 »

Yup... Indicate, foot down, pull out, ecu wakes up, car kicks down, this wakes the turbo and the car finally accelerates properly... Granted, that process only takes a second or two, but... :y

Probably on a par with the Edwardian signal box then. ;) ;D

Even the 2.2  sport was able to keep up better (Ie, change down (and up) quicker than the manual) on the way to the curry house. :)

The Sheriff

« Reply #29 on: 19 November 2014, 12:42:05 »

Anyone who is worried about breaking the speed limit should buy a people carrier. The slightest cross wind will make you desist and loathe to do it again. ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 18 queries.