Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: something loose/rattling at front, not drop links  (Read 1132 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
something loose/rattling at front, not drop links
« on: 21 November 2014, 08:37:30 »

On my 2000 2.5 petrol estate there is a rattling at the front of the car as I pass over bumps at 25mph. I cannot see anything loose. I thought it might be drop links, though they knock rther than rattle. I changed the o/s drop link - noise seemed to be more on the right - the one I removed was perfect, and the noise is still there.

Any ideas?

05omegav6

Re: something loose/rattling at front, not drop links
« Reply #1 on: 21 November 2014, 09:05:53 »

Does it vary if you brake or not :-\ calipers can rattle a bit if the pins are worn...

Air intake trunking loose :-\

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 November 2014, 10:21:27 »

I had similar turned out to be the balljoint

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 November 2014, 10:37:42 »

Without advising you replace every part of the suspension one-by one, I'd say best bet is to get it up on ramps, or even with weight off the wheel, and start wiggling as best you can - though appreciate this still may not reveal the problem. Knocking is worn suspension bits as a general rule, but as for a rattle.. that's slightly strange.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2014, 12:03:19 »

Had a rattle on mine a bit back and it turned out to be the front NS caliper was loose....!!!
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

chrisgixer

« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2014, 12:29:18 »

Plenty of tests in here
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90492.0

To test wishbone ball joint. Park up wheels straight. Reach under and wiggle the wishbone up and down near the ball joint. If there's play you'll feel it knocking.

Repeat with drop links while your there, wiggle near the ball joint. Any play can be felt in hand.

If still no joy, Jack and wiggle everything looking and feeling for play. Including bumpers, wheel arch liners, air boxes, under trays the lot. Even missing tools and dropped bolts or sockets dropped in the subrame hole when changing wishbones. A whack with hammer on the subrame will make the item rattle inside.

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2014, 12:31:11 »

Ps re wishbone ball joint test, repeat a couple of times with the car parked in a differant position, try and keep the sterring straight and mot under load, as the slightest side load can push differently on the all joint and you may not be able to feel the play.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 November 2014, 13:11:40 »

Thank you all gentlemen. I changed both wishbones in April, so did not suspect ball joint or brake caliper. Followig Al's suggestion, I checked the air filter, and found the front pipe and connecting tube were missing, and the air filter was loose and rattling about on torn mountings. I changed the filter and fitted spare mountings and a connection tube, so fault is cured.

However I wonder if the missing front tube is important. I suppose it give a central air intake point marginally higher than the connecting tube (better in floods) and it might be a tuned length. I have not a spare, I have scrapped many cars but never kept one. Any thoughts?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 November 2014, 13:20:48 »

Glad its sorted  :y That's the sort of thing that can never be a 'common' or 'known' fault, it proves that every car is different, with a different history. Why that's been removed who can say? The extra tube I've often wondered about myself - if anything it collects water, being pointed upward, very odd. (I apprreciate theres a great big bonnet above it, but you see what I mean)

Enjoy the rattle-free driving!  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #9 on: 21 November 2014, 13:25:52 »

Thank you all gentlemen. I changed both wishbones in April, so did not suspect ball joint or brake caliper. Followig Al's suggestion, I checked the air filter, and found the front pipe and connecting tube were missing, and the air filter was loose and rattling about on torn mountings. I changed the filter and fitted spare mountings and a connection tube, so fault is cured.

However I wonder if the missing front tube is important. I suppose it give a central air intake point marginally higher than the connecting tube (better in floods) and it might be a tuned length. I have not a spare, I have scrapped many cars but never kept one. Any thoughts?
Any V6 one will do :y
Without it you run the risk of water going straight in past the headlight, but positioning is important as it ensure clear cool airflow to the intake. Might gain a smidgen more efficiency with it replaced :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2014, 07:13:49 »

Thanks Al. So I need a V6 front induction pipe. Anyone local got one, RobG, Joff?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.