Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust  (Read 5720 times)

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Exhaust
« on: 22 November 2014, 16:11:34 »

What is the best way to replace my centre and back box assembly 2.6 2003. Eternal, exhaust fitters, Which make to avoid.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2014, 16:13:08 »

Furher to my post how much would an independent garage charge to fit an eternal.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2014, 16:34:43 »

Furher to my post how much would an independent garage charge to fit an eternal.
My local tyre place charges about £50, but depends on how easily the centre piped come off the cats :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2014, 18:36:24 »

I'm happy with Eternal or ETS. Certainly far, far, far better than the shite Bosal/Timex shite that virtually all garages will fit.

Not sure on fittings costs, as do myself. Most backstreet garages are around £50 per hour, and I reckon they'd be a bit mean to charge more than an hour.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2014, 19:23:06 »

Certainly easily done on the drive with the car reversed onto ramps.

The exhaust is heavier that it looks when you're lying underneath it though...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2014, 19:27:17 »

Doable in an hour, on your own, in the street, with the car on axle stands.
Does that give you an idea of how long it should take with the car on a ramp, with another pair of hands?
20 minutes perhaps?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2014, 19:33:06 »

Does that give you an idea of how long it should take with the car on a ramp, with another pair of hands?
20 minutes perhaps?
Nick W, you're not stopping for enough tea and bacon butties ;D
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2014, 19:36:35 »

20 minutes perhaps?
Nick W, you're not stopping for enough tea and bacon butties ;D

How can you say that; you've met me! Although coffee is my drink, tea gives me indigestion.

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2014, 19:56:44 »

Assuming nothing snaps/seizes, but should be a doddle on a ramp...

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2014, 20:06:32 »

Like Al said in message 2, problem is separating cat section from central section. I always heat the downpipe threads up to red heat, then let them cool down, before I carefully unscrew the screws. That takes 15 minutes. Break one off, and you are drilling it out.

Much depends on who put it on last time. If I did, stainless steel screws and lots of copper ease grease, correct torque, it's not too bad. It it's some young lad in a tyre shop, I can be in trouble.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2014, 20:23:40 »

I always expect the bolts to be a problem and find it's a relief that I don't have to drill them out.
Nor do I mess about withe mounting rubbers, but buy new ones and cut the old ones off.
I hate doing exhausts, and so don't see the point of being gentle.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2014, 23:16:59 »

I hate doing exhausts, and don't see the point of DIY for the sake of saving £50.

::)  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 November 2014, 09:56:08 »

I hate doing exhausts, and don't see the point of DIY for the sake of saving £50.

Nick didn't say that! He said he didn't see the point of being gentle. £50 is £50. Fitting exhausts is one of the easier jobs on an Omega.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 November 2014, 11:12:55 »

Nick didn't say that! He said he didn't see the point of being gentle. £50 is £50. Fitting exhausts is one of the easier jobs on an Omega.

No he didn't, I did.  Crawling around on your back under an Omega on the drive isn't my idea of fun and exhaust fitting is one of those jobs that's worth paying a garage to do IMO.  ;)  :y
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

omega3000

« Reply #14 on: 23 November 2014, 12:15:54 »

:y

:y

Sod laying on the floor fighting the thing , drive to Sereks and up on the lift ..job jobbed  :)

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 November 2014, 12:59:37 »

What about something like these guys

u spanner

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 November 2014, 17:02:05 »

has anybody had an exhaust from premier-car, double skinned they sound ok.

Muroman

• Intermediate Member
  • Finland
  • Cars for life
    • Vectra -02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 November 2014, 13:06:10 »

I just did it like this :) And I noticed the exhaust is really heavy when you're wrestling with it under the car :D For a couple minutes I already was thinking I'm just stuck and can't move until someone comes pass, but after five minutes with the exhaust on my belly I got it off :)

I installed a used Simons from the cats back it was from my old car and probably ordered from Sweden.

Driving: Vectra - 2002 - 2.2 "GTS" - Manual
Old: Omega - 1999 - MV6 - Automatic
Old: Omega - 1995 - MV6 - Manual

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 November 2014, 15:30:34 »

looks like nice car :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 November 2014, 15:55:34 »

Exhaust is pretty much day 1 of 'home DIYer mechanic college' they're easy enough, unless you get a major headache, which can happen in any walk of life.

To be honest the real pain / issues with my exhaust were all down to me fitting replacement studs for the heatshields, which was time-consuming, but worthwhile. Being under the car also meant I was able to spot a couple of bits of damaged underseal, which were allowing rust - had I not spotted them now, they would have been potential for costly welding work in a couple of years. The actual sections being fitted to the car was thrown on in under the hour.

But I'm one of them people that really likes to know what's 'going on' inside/underneath his car. Regular servicing / playing about often reveals all manner of things like brake pipes that are on their way out, early signs of rust, a bolt that could do with a wipe over with an oily rag etc.. rather than just leaving it up to the MoTer once a year (who, for example, missed me having about 1mm of friction material left on my front brake discs, for instance!)
« Last Edit: 25 November 2014, 15:58:08 by Diamond Black Geezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 November 2014, 18:09:19 »

Exhaust is pretty much day 1 of 'home DIYer mechanic college' they're easy enough, unless you get a major headache, which can happen in any walk of life.

To be honest the real pain / issues with my exhaust were all down to me fitting replacement studs for the heatshields, which was time-consuming, but worthwhile. Being under the car also meant I was able to spot a couple of bits of damaged underseal, which were allowing rust - had I not spotted them now, they would have been potential for costly welding work in a couple of years. The actual sections being fitted to the car was thrown on in under the hour.

But I'm one of them people that really likes to know what's 'going on' inside/underneath his car. Regular servicing / playing about often reveals all manner of things like brake pipes that are on their way out, early signs of rust, a bolt that could do with a wipe over with an oily rag etc.. rather than just leaving it up to the MoTer once a year (who, for example, missed me having about 1mm of friction material left on my front brake discs, for instance!)

Better than my local MOT'er who failed a car on front brake pads worn, which were fitted the previous day! >:( >:( >:(

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 November 2014, 22:47:04 »

Considering that an MOT doesn't allow any dismantling, just how is the tester supposed to see the pads? Especially as that's enough to work on the brake tester.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 November 2014, 23:17:37 »

I've done half a dozen Omegas with relative ease, on jacks and stands. The last one though, I had to get help from another member, involving lots of heat and eventually a plasma cutter (just for bonus points). The old one really didn't want to come off...

Eternal have always been great, but my last one was an ETS and the quality is fantastic.
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 November 2014, 08:10:23 »

I've done half a dozen Omegas with relative ease, on jacks and stands. The last one though, I had to get help from another member, involving lots of heat and eventually a plasma cutter (just for bonus points). The old one really didn't want to come off...

Eternal have always been great, but my last one was an ETS and the quality is fantastic.
Bonus points award for plasma cutter. I have just googled it, and it sounds impressive, rather industrial, and somewhat hazardous. Did you use it to separate cat section from central section?

I must admit I had never heard of the technique as a DIY tool. I still use saws, hammers, angle grinders and bad language.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 November 2014, 09:18:24 »

Considering that an MOT doesn't allow any dismantling, just how is the tester supposed to see the pads? Especially as that's enough to work on the brake tester.

Fairly sure you can see how much wear is left on them just by looking at the holes in the caliper. I may be wrong.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 26 November 2014, 09:23:23 »

Can you give me a contact number for ETS.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 26 November 2014, 10:05:40 »

ebay.co.uk/itm/Muffler-Finisher-Opel-Omega-B-Saloon-2-5-3-0-V6-Exhaust-/151333449603?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233c2d2f83

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 November 2014, 10:09:33 »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 November 2014, 10:10:33 »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26 November 2014, 11:00:04 »

Woops! Try again. Or go to e-bay and search for omema exhaust.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Muffler-Finisher-Opel-Omega-B-Saloon-2-5-3-0-V6-Exhaust-/151333449603?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item233c2d2f83

Not your day for using keyboards, is it?  ;)

Type more caerfully.
I hate QWERTY keyboards. They were designed by Remington to avoid the typewriter arms jamming. My day job is printer and typesetter, using an Intertype 90 key keyboard, entirely different layout.

chrisgixer

« Reply #30 on: 26 November 2014, 14:35:00 »

Cost from a garage would depend on time taken and their hourly rate. Which would depend on how easily the cat bolts come out. Usually they are seized and need drilling out. At best you might get three of the four bolts out and snap one off.

The rest is just clips and hangers. So not more than an hours work for a garage I guess. Assuming the exhaust fits, which the ETS ones do, as said.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 November 2014, 15:31:07 »

Is ETS the same as  eternal I have searched for eternal but cannot find them.Some guidance needed please :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 November 2014, 15:48:28 »

Fairly sure you can see how much wear is left on them just by looking at the holes in the caliper. I may be wrong.

Precisely, they are supposed to be 'qualified' mechanics after all. :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 November 2014, 18:05:32 »

Is ETS the same as  eternal I have searched for eternal but cannot find them.Some guidance needed please :y
No, different.
Grumpy old man

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27 November 2014, 13:21:58 »

So how do I find eternal?

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 27 November 2014, 22:12:38 »

What do we know about Neu car parts exhausts

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28 November 2014, 15:11:49 »

Avoid.....worse than Timax

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 29 November 2014, 09:57:34 »

Thanks Mark I am trying to find the way to eternal is it eternal cars

omega squared

• london area
    • 335i/race car/2 x V6 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 December 2014, 11:16:53 »

you need a friendly local tyres and exhaust shop who will let the boys do a quick fitting for you on a quiet time like sunday morning or Saturday afternoon.
nothing tows better than an Omega estate in this price range
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.