Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: taxing a car without a logbook  (Read 13598 times)

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
taxing a car without a logbook
« on: 28 May 2009, 20:59:19 »

Bought my fiancee's daughter a car in December 08 and took the green section of the V5 to the post office to tax it and they said they will send off for a new log book.   Thought no more about it but no log book has arrived and the tax is due on Monday.  Just phoned DVLA and they have said we cannot tax the car and it must be declared SORN until we apply for a new V5, pay £25 for the V5 and we then have to wait for it to arrive before we can use the car which can take up to 30 days.   Moral of the story make sure you get a V5 back from Swansea!!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: taxing a car without a logbook
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2009, 21:00:22 »

Got the green supplement?

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2009, 21:11:40 »

Find where your nearest DVLA office is. Explain situation, they should be able to sort you "over the counter". Same thing happened to me a couple of years back :y
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
!
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2009, 21:26:08 »

Gave the green supplement to the post office when we taxed the car when we bought it.

DVLA Swansea were adamant that you can only tax a car if it is registered in your name and it is not their fault if the V5/green supplement has been lost by the Post Office so £25 must be paid for a new V5 and the car must be off the road until the new V5 is received and the car taxed after then.

Apparently the procedure changed in the last year and there are no exceptions!!!

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2009, 21:29:17 »

Surely if you fill out another form for lost/stolen/defaced v5 then you should be able to tax the car.

Paul :y
Vx Trade club card holder
Halfords trade card holder

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2009, 22:19:46 »

apparently you have to wait for the new log book to be in your name - the last owner didn't send the log book off

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2009, 22:22:24 »

Yeah but you are putting it in your name therefore you are able to re-tax your car, unless the rules have changed.

To tax your vehicle you’ll need:

a completed V11 reminder or V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’
your registration certificate (V5C) or New Keeper supplement, if using a V10
a completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
an MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
insurance that covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

As stated on the DVLA web site so who ever told you, you had to wait until you have received your new log book was telling you porkies

« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 22:25:26 by vauxhallomega1 »

KillerWatt

« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2009, 22:43:47 »

Spot on Paul  :y :y :y

PS @ the OP

If it's not DVLA's fault that the post office lost the logbook after the former keeper posted it, it surely stands to reason it's not your fault if the post office lost the green section you sent off afterwards either ;)

Play them at their own game mate, because if people let them get away with that crap then it's a license to print money as far as they are concerned.

« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 22:46:32 by KillerWatt »

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2009, 23:20:09 »

Yeah but you are putting it in your name therefore you are able to re-tax your car, unless the rules have changed.

To tax your vehicle you’ll need:

a completed V11 reminder or V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’
your registration certificate (V5C) or New Keeper supplement, if using a V10
a completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate
an MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old)
insurance that covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle
the payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax)

As stated on the DVLA web site so who ever told you, you had to wait until you have received your new log book was telling you porkies

copied this off DVLA "How to tax your car without a reminder"
If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road.

However the good news is - my fiance has just come in from work and turned a couple of drawers out and found the green slip (the Post Office gave it back with the tax disc) and on form V10 and V62 it says you can use V5/2C for 2 months at a PO or 13 months at the local DVLA office so I am going to join the queue tomorrow and see if we can get the tax disc .... but lesson learned ...... chase the V5 up sooner rather than later

Simon_Omega

« Reply #9 on: 29 May 2009, 17:32:07 »

on the green slip that the customer / new keeper gets given, it does say if not heard in 4 weeks, to call the dvla,  so the people who then try tax it 6 months later, are having to pay 25 bucks, as they have not done anything about it or followed it up,  if you take dvla the green slip on week 5, they do it free.  but 6 months is out of time they say.
so kind of fair enough, but a pisser if u need to tax the car though!

But, the keeper might have sent it, like i did once,

i had a problem, someone bought my old car, then aplied for it to go in their name, assume dvla never got my v5,  but i had a photocopy of it.  the dvla tried to charge me 35 quid for not telling them i sold it,  then up to 60 quid, then to court, went to court, showed judge the photocopy of the v5 with the address, he said you have informed them, they just not received it, so its not my fault, go home thanks for your time.
so,  Simon 1 -  DVAL - 0

the dvla woman was horrid and said i should have followed up the reminders and letters and fines,  but i said, this court hearing is for failing to inform, which i did not do.  as the judge agreed.

she said you get a receipt leter confirming that its changed to new keeper,  in all the years i have never had one!

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 May 2009, 20:55:33 »

Now When I got my car I had the green slip, the tax was due to run out BUT with me having the green slip I couldn't use it so I contacted DVLA and they told me to go to the local office and fill in the V62. I did this and went to my local DVLA office handed the form over and they came back with a NEW V5 and a new Tax disc as the V5 hadn't arrived to me.
So DVLA will issue you with a new tax disc if you go to the local office as they have V5 documents there and can give you a new form.

omegadti

• Glasgow
    • omega dti
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2009, 22:31:33 »

I eventually sussed it - if you have the green slip and take it to DVLA office to tax the car it is valid for 13 months and if you hand it over with a V62 you don't pay the £25 - mission accomplished and everyone happy :y :y :y

VX1

• Omega Baron
  • Reading, Berkshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2009, 22:48:32 »

Congrats, well done :y

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.