Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2962332 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #16650 on: 12 July 2018, 15:19:24 »

In all honesty, since working in my new job, commuting 90mins plus each way, sorting the house out etc etc I have found that I really wanted to simplify my life as I am starting to struggle to keep all the balls in the air and it has started to affect the quality of my work/decision making. Changing to an EV seemed a pretty cost-neutral way to take some work/stress out of my life. I realise admitting any kind of mental weakness or ineptitude is not popular in these parts and will likely get me (re)branded a nambi pambi millenial snowflake, but there we are. Another way to look at it is I can only concentrate on so many things at any one time and I've decided having to repair my daily driver doesn't need to be one of them.

Oh agree, I'd have something newer, as I know myself, time to tinker is rare. I'd try it for a while though, see if it worked as long as the banger worked and passed an MOT.

On the banger thing, while it doesn't address my above point, you also have to want to do it I think. 28k p.a. @35mpg is £4575 p.a. in fuel alone, insurance of say £500, tax of say £300 is £447 pcm so savings will be minimal and I would argue that anything "interesting" is going to return nearer 26-28 mpg rather than 35.

I realise I'm in an uncommon position in that I have access to a pretty sweet lease deal, and 60% of my fuel will be free (or 90% once we move), but then I'm not saying the car would suit everyone, just that I think it will suit me.  :y

Our test track guys recon the are good for about 150 miles but a bit on the slow side for an EV
I'm expecting similar overall performance to the Ovlov, but delivered in a different way. 0-45 the VW will cream the swede, at motorway speeds I'm expecting limited overtaking shove. But then again, my current 1.2l rollerskate is more than man enough to my daily 60-70mpg slog  :y.

On the battery degredation front, I am genuinely curious as I think mine will rapidly become one of the highest mileage e-golfs around (I will never understand why people run ev's for 3-5k p.a. - buy a sodding V8!). My figuring is that I can "manage" with 60% of the starting capacity if I have to and I believe it massively unlikely I will lose 40% capacity in 3yrs/75k and that if I do I'd be able to make the case that the car is not fit for purpose and throw it back early.

STEMO

« Reply #16651 on: 12 July 2018, 15:21:03 »

Is any software development done at Gaydon?

Don't do it, Mark! If you leave Sky, how will we get our cheap TV deals? ;)  :)

I'd never leave by choice  ;)  :y

Been here 9 years this September  :o

Depends what ComCast do if they win this bidding war, I have a nasty feeling they may transfer bulks of software engineering elsewhere. American companies tend to favour outsourcing, preferring quantity over quality. I'm hoping Uncle Rupert wins!
Uncle Rupert got the go ahead today  ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16652 on: 12 July 2018, 15:25:36 »

Depends what ComCast do if they win this bidding war, I have a nasty feeling they may transfer bulks of software engineering elsewhere. American companies tend to favour outsourcing, preferring quantity over quality. I'm hoping Uncle Rupert wins!

But Comcast has outbid him, twice. Last night went £14.75, after Rupert just bid £14.

STEMO

« Reply #16653 on: 12 July 2018, 15:28:50 »

But Comcast has outbid him, twice. Last night went £14.75, after Rupert just bid £14.
Yes, but surely your shares will surge anyway?  :-\

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16654 on: 12 July 2018, 15:29:42 »

Yes, but I'd prefer Rupert to be the out-right winner.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16655 on: 12 July 2018, 20:40:07 »

Bloody hell. Part of reason I bought the XJ was to not get drawn in to childish encounters.

But a 7 series clearly fancied his chances, and needed teaching a lesson about making progress around the lanes. Dynamic on, Sport on, Flappy paddles on. The old style TB enabled. Job done.

:-[
Grumpy old man

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #16656 on: 12 July 2018, 21:16:36 »

Bloody hell. Part of reason I bought the XJ was to not get drawn in to childish encounters.

But a 7 series clearly fancied his chances, and needed teaching a lesson about making progress around the lanes. Dynamic on, Sport on, Flappy paddles on. The old style TB enabled. Job done.

:-[

Can't you just put you clog down any more? ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Automaticman

• Neston
  • Saxwood
    • Frontera V6 Omega V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16657 on: 12 July 2018, 21:52:23 »

Put it up for sale......
When ya wanna shoot, shoot, dont talk !

Zirfeld

• Intermediate Member
  • Lahr/Germany
    • 2.0/16V Saloon+Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16658 on: 13 July 2018, 17:21:27 »

Back on the road again, after 18 month of Caravan driving.

fotos online kostenlosth.

Needs Tuev in August, so I changed some sealings and all front lights.

Cambelt new in June, also front crank sealing, rolls,  water pump and hydros

General service done. Runs great. No bodywork needed.

Found a nice Irmscher front on a scrape yard.

If I will find the time, I will do some painting later this summer, but first the Estate needs a new front suspension.

Rolf

« Last Edit: 13 July 2018, 17:40:21 by Zirfeld »
I am not forced to drive an old Omega. I simply like it.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16659 on: 13 July 2018, 20:49:15 »

Found my leak[at least I found a leak and hope its the only one!]from changing the oil cooler.Poured a little water into header tank while looking at oil cooler and surrounding area and lo and behold there was the leak :y I had thought maybe oil cooler to cooler plate not tightened properly,but no I'd not tightened the n/s coolant bridge banjo bolt :-[ :-[ :-[ Tomorrow afternoon I'll check tightness of all bolts and then refit inlet manifold fill with coolant and see what happens when running to bleed cooling system and fingers crossed it'll be good to go :-X Only using cheapo blue anti freeze[£1 a litre from £ shop for now,once happy all is good I'll drop that out and refill with better stuff. :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16660 on: 13 July 2018, 20:54:15 »

always nice to pinpoint the problem , then you know where your going to resolve it  :y
good luck with finishing the re-build Mr BazaJT  :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16661 on: 13 July 2018, 21:13:13 »

Thanks :y Much embarrassed at the schoolboy error but there it is a lesson to check everything learned 8) Considering this car covers well under 1,000mls per year it has had more than its fair share spent on it of late.The welding, brake pipes and cat back exhaust swallowed over £300 then its had a new radiator and now a new oil cooler.I'd like to say that's an end to the spending for a while but it needs a set of clocks[sometimes the speedo and rev counter don't work whilst everything else does]and a replacement CCR 2006 as mine won't recognise the fact there are CDs in the magazine >:(

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16662 on: 13 July 2018, 22:26:46 »

Had a mis-fuelling incident, for the sake of marital harmony we aren't discussing how it occurred.  :-X

No problem, covered under breakdown. Except when the car was delivered back last night, it was clearly pissing diesel. Didn't notice till tonight due to it being on the passenger side and my leave time being 5am.

Noted it tonight. Not in the best of moods I got the recovery garage back out, a quick investigation shows the threaded cover to the fuel lift pump was cross threaded and thegrips broken where someone had clearly hit it with a screwdriver to tighten it  ::).

Long story short they've got it back and are fixing it, I'm in a VX viva rollerskate and I'm pricing up the cost of removing diesel from my driveway cause I'll be facked if I'm doing or paying for it.

In other unrelated news, I ordered it's replacement.

Who is your breakdown with? If it’s covered then it should have been attended by a mobile unit who do it all the time and don’t make such rookie mistakes :-X ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16663 on: 14 July 2018, 07:32:16 »

Green Flag, actually attended by a local lot Auto Start maybe, can't remember. As you can see below, they did a real number on it. Volvo specify a large diameter toothed socket to remove the ring. If they used that and made this mess, I'll eat my hat.

« Last Edit: 14 July 2018, 07:35:51 by jimmy944 »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16664 on: 14 July 2018, 08:30:27 »

Looks like they used the S.D + F.B.H method

Screw driver + F**king Big Hammer

is it fuel pump / sender unit ?

I've not had a volvo since the old 340 saloon  8)

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.