Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing the Skoda..  (Read 9688 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing the Skoda..
« Reply #30 on: 15 June 2018, 14:06:32 »

Same, an XJ-R from this era still looks good. But smell of piss.
FTFY

Then who knows how to actually work on them.
Can't speak for the X350 or X358, but the X351 is well engineered, and seems easy enough to do most tasks. Due to time needed to remove trim/plastics, I reckon some tasks could be pricey if not DIY though.
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2018, 14:19:31 »

FTFY

Can't speak for the X350 or X358, but the X351 is well engineered, and seems easy enough to do most tasks. Due to time needed to remove trim/plastics, I reckon some tasks could be pricey if not DIY though.

Trouble is for X351, you need to be spending £15k. That gets you something with 100,000+ miles as well.  :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2018, 14:23:04 »

FTFY

Trouble is for X351, you need to be spending £15k. That gets you something with 100,000+ miles as well.  :(
I never said get a current one ;). It wouldn't suit you anyway. I agree, your 3.2 is your best choice for the foreseeable future :y
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2018, 14:25:49 »

FTFY

Boo Hoo  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 15 June 2018, 14:28:40 »

FTFY

I never said get a current one ;). It wouldn't suit you anyway. I agree, your 3.2 is your best choice for the foreseeable future :y

Yup, cheap as chips to run.

Needs it's annual service soon, getting a bit overdue. Got everything I need bar oil for it, might just shove ECP QX stuff oil in it.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 15 June 2018, 16:15:27 »

For me, nothing Saab came up with after the early 90s ever floated my boat. 

Don't get me wrong, if I could have landed a 9000 that hadn't been feasted on by the tin worm, I'd have gone for one of them years ago, but (I think) they're all at least 21yrs old now - so probably will never happen.  ::)

I quite like the Jaaaags of the early 2000's era, well XJ and s-type, not the x-type. In fact most things in the 220-300 bhp <£5-6k bracket will get a look in when I can get a change. Sadly 20-25k/yr (even after the move) rules out anything too exciting.

The Swede is mighty comfortable and is proving reliable, touch wood, but (to quote clarkson) its as dull and grey as sitting in Eyore's bottom. But 35-40k/yr rather forces my hand atm  ;D

Same, an XJ-R from this era still looks good. Effortless power as well, which is what I like.

Trouble is finding examples, some appear to be around ~3/5k or crazy 10k+  :-\ - Then who knows how to actually work on them.

I'll continue to run 3.2 for some time yet, as it ticks all my boxes for now. If I lost if for what ever reason, I've no idea to be honest what I'd get.

I'd like to scratch that V8 urge, given my current low miles. Maybe something like e39 5 Series 540i.

I was even looking at Astra GTC's other day on Autotrader, for the cash, they offer great value. That would be a head over heart decision though!

Hairdresser's car. :)

Way back in the eighties we knew a kid who drove a white XR3i cabriolet. He thought he looked cool. The girls liked the car but thought that all the drivers were benders.
« Last Edit: 15 June 2018, 16:18:46 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15 June 2018, 16:17:07 »

Monaro Tunnie?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15 June 2018, 16:17:56 »

:-X

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15 June 2018, 16:19:59 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15 June 2018, 16:21:59 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 15 June 2018, 16:22:07 »

Monaro Tunnie?

To expensive for that V8 itch, if I would get one would still be doing car share. But only really want to burn few grand (sub £5k) - I do like them though, thing is, I guess I'm getting old. I would prefer an auto.  :-[

So VXR8  :D - But for the cash to buy one of those, I'd probably get XJ like the fatty admin.

For me, nothing Saab came up with after the early 90s ever floated my boat. 

Don't get me wrong, if I could have landed a 9000 that hadn't been feasted on by the tin worm, I'd have gone for one of them years ago, but (I think) they're all at least 21yrs old now - so probably will never happen.  ::)

I quite like the Jaaaags of the early 2000's era, well XJ and s-type, not the x-type. In fact most things in the 220-300 bhp <£5-6k bracket will get a look in when I can get a change. Sadly 20-25k/yr (even after the move) rules out anything too exciting.

The Swede is mighty comfortable and is proving reliable, touch wood, but (to quote clarkson) its as dull and grey as sitting in Eyore's bottom. But 35-40k/yr rather forces my hand atm  ;D

Same, an XJ-R from this era still looks good. Effortless power as well, which is what I like.

Trouble is finding examples, some appear to be around ~3/5k or crazy 10k+  :-\ - Then who knows how to actually work on them.

I'll continue to run 3.2 for some time yet, as it ticks all my boxes for now. If I lost if for what ever reason, I've no idea to be honest what I'd get.

I'd like to scratch that V8 urge, given my current low miles. Maybe something like e39 5 Series 540i.

I was even looking at Astra GTC's other day on Autotrader, for the cash, they offer great value. That would be a head over heart decision though!

Hairdresser's car. :)

Way back in the eighties we knew a kid who drove a white XR3i cabriolet. He thought he looked cool. The girls liked the car but thought that all the drivers were benders.

I think there are decent enough cars, but for similar money can get facelifted previous shape Insignia. Be it diesel  :(

I like the diesel mum bus, we've been really, really pleased with it. Just not sure I could live with inline 4 pot diesel as my commuter. Not exactly smooth or effortless  :(

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 15 June 2018, 16:35:18 »

To expensive for that V8 itch, if I would get one would still be doing car share. But only really want to burn few grand (sub £5k) - I do like them though, thing is, I guess I'm getting old. I would prefer an auto. :-[

Ha! I never picked up that the monaro was manual only! I just assumed that a big lazy v8 from the colonies would have an auto option...

Sub £5k v8 could be challenging!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 15 June 2018, 16:38:49 »

To expensive for that V8 itch, if I would get one would still be doing car share. But only really want to burn few grand (sub £5k) - I do like them though, thing is, I guess I'm getting old. I would prefer an auto. :-[

Ha! I never picked up that the monaro was manual only! I just assumed that a big lazy v8 from the colonies would have an auto option...

Monaro is very much available as an auto, about 50/50 in the US and Oz... Unfortunately rocking horse shit rare in the UK as it was basically an unavailable special order...

In its home market it is simply a 2 door example of the Commodore range, here it was marketed as a two door sports coupe ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 15 June 2018, 16:39:19 »

Yeah Monaro's manual only, I would prefer the effortless "put it in D" type stuff where you don't need to fart around with gears, getting change just right. Just push that pedal harder to 'smoke' em.

Something we do in the M235i, is that, surprisingly can smoke nearly anything it comes up to.

It's surprising what V8 you can get, sub £5k:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201803054272205?onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&minimum-badge-engine-size=4.0&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=tw89de&model=6%20SERIES&make=BMW&sort=price-asc&page=1

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 15 June 2018, 16:43:25 »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.