Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 3021510 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #21450 on: 05 December 2020, 17:22:56 »

Replied, cheers.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21451 on: 05 December 2020, 18:06:24 »

Did all of the above, but Im sure I got the mix wrong. In hindsight I should have weighed half the contents of each bottle into two separate containers and then tipped one into the other.
I tipped half of one bottle into a container, placed it on the scales, then tipped enough of the second one in to double the figure.
Thought I had taken into account the 10g weight of the container, but obviously went wrong somewhere.
 I knew I had to act quickly once I started mixing so I think I got a bit panicky, and no doubt breaked up in the process.
Lesson learnt.  ::)

That's why I recommended weighing out each part in a separate container before mixing them. It's standard practice when a precise mix is required.

If you still have half the material you bought, and are near Medway bring all the bits and I'll do them for you

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21452 on: 05 December 2020, 18:12:38 »

That was the second attempt. The first started going off before I could pour it.  :-[ ;D So not very much left at all.
Im also quite a distance from Medway, although I should revisit the place sometime as I lived in Gillingham and then Hoo for a while in the early 70,s.
Thanks for the offer btw Nick.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21453 on: 05 December 2020, 18:23:28 »

The stuff I used was already portioned, I simply added them together in a foil tub and stirred... :-\

Does go off quick though.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21454 on: 05 December 2020, 18:28:57 »

Knowing I wouldnt need to use it all, I planned to mix just over half of each, and then probably have enough left to do the other side in the spring.
You know what happens with plans though.  ::) :D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21455 on: 05 December 2020, 20:02:35 »

That was the second attempt. The first started going off before I could pour it.  :-[ ;D So not very much left at all.
Im also quite a distance from Medway, although I should revisit the place sometime as I lived in Gillingham and then Hoo for a while in the early 70,s.
Thanks for the offer btw Nick.  :y

The stuff I used is mixed 2:1, Parts A:B. You can do this by volume but as it's small quantities of quite viscous liquid, weighing it is easier to get the accuracy needed.

So: 170g of Part A in a cup and 85g Part B(with a dash of black pigment) in another. Large yoghurt pots are good. Digital scales allow you to zero out the weights of the pots.

Add the smaller quantity to the bigger and mix carefully to give about 260g of product with a pot life of nearly 10 minutes at 20°C. That's enough to do both mounts with a couple of mm left in the bottom of the pot. It will stay runny long enough to find where you didn't block any holes ::)

You can break down the jig about 2 hours later, but leaving it overnight is better.

It's probably not necessary to be so accurate with the quantities but like paint, it's expensive in both material and time if you mess up.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21456 on: 05 December 2020, 20:54:02 »

I was certain it should be mixed in equal measures. I shall check in the morning and expect to find thats where I went wrong.  ::)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21457 on: 05 December 2020, 21:01:37 »

I was certain it should be mixed in equal measures. I shall check in the morning and expect to find thats where I went wrong.  ::)

That would certainly explain why it went off so fast and didn't bond the parts together.

More activator is not more better.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21458 on: 05 December 2020, 21:16:03 »

We live and (sometimes in my case), we learn.  ;D

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #21459 on: 06 December 2020, 09:44:11 »

Got to replace HBV on my 2.6. Wife borrowed it yesterday, got a call from her saying there was smoke coming from under the bonnet. Went to where she was with some spare coolant, nursed it home by turning off the heaters, temp gauge stayed at normal.  HBV was bought from Vauxhall dealer and hasn't even lasted a year :-[ Got a spare cheap one to put on for now. When I got it home and parked it up, there was loads of smoke from drivers side, but couldn't see where from. So let car cool down for a while. Restarted car and let it go through three fan kick ins, but no smoke appeared so hopefully it was just coolant that had puddled evapourating, it stank.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21460 on: 06 December 2020, 09:57:44 »

We live and (sometimes in my case), we learn.  ;D
Every day is a school day :y
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21461 on: 06 December 2020, 10:00:08 »

Got to replace HBV on my 2.6. Wife borrowed it yesterday, got a call from her saying there was smoke coming from under the bonnet. Went to where she was with some spare coolant, nursed it home by turning off the heaters, temp gauge stayed at normal.  HBV was bought from Vauxhall dealer and hasn't even lasted a year :-[ Got a spare cheap one to put on for now. When I got it home and parked it up, there was loads of smoke from drivers side, but couldn't see where from. So let car cool down for a while. Restarted car and let it go through three fan kick ins, but no smoke appeared so hopefully it was just coolant that had puddled evapourating, it stank.
Terry Paget had trouble with genuine HBVs failing very prematurely a couple of years back, so seems there was a crap batch.

If you bought it less than 2 years ago, ring the dealer you bought it from and explain to the parts man :y.  If you were stupid enough to buy from ebay, let that be a lesson.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21462 on: 06 December 2020, 10:06:20 »

For the rears, I did buy pattern in the hope they would be better made than the utter shite JLR provide, but only lasted 4 months.  Bought from the Gay of E, and the seller aint interested in doing anything.
Seems I can't open a case with the seller, as I bought it 3 months ago, and seller making it impossible to return the item, and as it was under £100 I can't take to small claims.

Bought with money already in my Paypal, so cant revert to bank, and Paypal wont respond to my online query with no option to speak to someone (but then Paypal is the scum of the universe).

Lesson learnt. Until next time.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21463 on: 06 December 2020, 10:25:00 »

The price of buying a car with door handles that are a service item :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21464 on: 06 December 2020, 10:30:18 »

The price of buying a car with door handles that are a service item :-\
Latches. Just because of the crap switches used by JLR's supplier.  Its a combined unit of the mechanical latch, and the 3 motors that control the locking (4 motors on facelifted ones, due to soft close).

But, yup, service item.  Originals lasted between 7 and 9 years.  I guess thats good enough, I should have stuck to genuine.  Pattern last 4 months. Now I'm concerned about the other side I did a couple of months ago, using pattern part.
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.