Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Uh-oh  (Read 2840 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Uh-oh
« on: 05 July 2018, 16:57:14 »

My car share buddy has just ordered a M140i, with manual box.

Hopefully it proves more reliable than Jimmy's  :o

Does make me wonder though, he is about 6 years younger than me, does own/mortgage his own place. But cruises around in brand new high spec BMW's.

I just use a 16 year old rusting banger barge  :-[  :D  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
Re: Uh-oh
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2018, 17:03:33 »

Apparently just 7 of them left in the country!

Also 1 & 2 series going FWD in next gen apparently.  :-\

His will be one of last RWD manuals....

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2018, 17:04:37 »

Different priorities. Many people drive cars that are quite dispropotionate to their incomes, plus with so many finance deals around  . . . .

I knew a guy who drove a Bentley, his Mrs had a high end people carrier, very flash lifestyle. Suddenly disappeared with a load of creditors after them. I also knew a guy who drove an old Fiesta, who was the landlord of 16 houses in London, you'd almost give him change for a cuppa. Never judge by appearances.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2018, 17:10:12 »

Different priorities. Many people drive cars that are quite dispropotionate to their incomes, plus with so many finance deals around  . . . .

I knew a guy who drove a Bentley, his Mrs had a high end people carrier, very flash lifestyle. Suddenly disappeared with a load of creditors after them. I also knew a guy who drove an old Fiesta, who was the landlord of 16 houses in London, you'd almost give him change for a cuppa. Never judge by appearances.

I agree. For some obscure reason people think I'm wealthy.

I drive a 10 year old Signum and talk  to the ne'er do wells on this forum. If I had money I wouldn't have anything to do with the reprobates here at OOF. :)
« Last Edit: 05 July 2018, 17:15:13 by Field Marshal Dr. Opti »

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2018, 17:11:46 »

.......and it's easy to run a BMW 140i if it's on a PCP deal. You don't need to be wealthy to do that. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 July 2018, 17:15:15 »

.......and it's easy to run a BMW 140i if it's on a PCP deal. You don't need to be wealthy to do that. :)
Alternatively, save the payments for the term, and pay cash having negotiated a decent discount  ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 July 2018, 19:43:39 »

He is doing it on PCP, I suspect around £300-400 monthly payments don’t know details yet.  He was considering an M2  :o

That said if I cancelled my pension contributions and my share stocks monthly payments I could do it. But I’m not really keen on that  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 July 2018, 19:50:15 »

He is doing it on PCP, I suspect around £300-400 monthly payments don’t know details yet.  He was considering an M2  :o

That said if I cancelled my pension contributions and my share stocks monthly payments I could do it. But I’m not really keen on that  :)

Yes....within the reach of many provided they have the deposit. Personally, I would see it as dead money.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 July 2018, 19:57:42 »

Way I see it if he's getting it on pcp he's going to be paying hundreds per month you on the other hand own outright[presumably]your "16yr old banger barge",so for all that extra he's having to find to pay for it what does it do that yours doesn't?Plus of course your Omega will be more distinctive on the roads than his BMW.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 July 2018, 20:14:45 »

I remember a conversation with a bloke called Danny about his "purchase" of an Aldi A4 Sline.  I was his production manager, and drove a mk2 cavalier sri which cost me £40, but which had done me proud for 3 years and 60K.

Danny lived in one of the less nice bits of Runcorn utopia. 

Danny "Have you seen my new car? It's a SLine Leather seats, 18 inch alloys, privacy windows....blah blah blah....It makes your car look shit" (Remember now I'm the guy that decides the overtime and the performance bonus on a random whim, so that's how stupidly familiar he is)

Me " It's not new but i'll give you that it is really nice, Danny.  None of my business, but how much would I have to pay for a car like that? " (I genuinely have no interest in any car built in the last 10 years, so have no idea how much they cost new or second hand)

Him "£278 a month, it's got heated leather and lcd dials and ......blah blah blah"

Me "Yeah, but how much did it cost......I mean If I wanted to buy one like it, and wanted to pay cash how much would I have to pay"

Him "Nobody pays cash, it's £278 a month"

Me "Over how long ?......Do you get to own it? and does that include servicing and a warranty"

Him "Over 4 years, and then I'll give it back and get something else"

Me "Right"

3 months later

Him "Hey, why's the overtime being cut back? There's nothing on Sunday and I'll be too pissed on Friday to work Saturday morning"
Me "The Indian's have come on line. The customer is saving £10K a week on import duty, so I don't think we'll be shipping from the UK, unless there's a problem" (Our new sister company had sent 10 engineers to come and be trained and take ideas and tool drawings and they'd been in the factory for 6 months prior to this so hardly a surprise)
Me "Plus there's a global recession, so we might have to cut the work force or go on short time if it gets worse"
Danny "Shit. opps."
Me "What's wrong Danny? I know we are all going to suffer....I mean they don't actually need 4 production managers, and I'm not that good at it, so I'm shitting it." (I thought that might help the mood)
Danny "I won't be able to afford the payments on the car, and I've just remortgaged the house to pay off some of our debts, and spent the rest on a holiday and now me bird's pregnant....How will I be able to afford it?"
Me "Not get pissed on Friday night and take Saturdays overtime whilst you still can"

This is the same bloke who offered to break the legs of a guy who'd sold me a Calibre, with a breaked engine. For free. I declined his kind offer. It was my fault that I didn't spot the obvious.

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2018, 20:18:50 »

Way I see it if he's getting it on pcp he's going to be paying hundreds per month you on the other hand own outright[presumably]your "16yr old banger barge",so for all that extra he's having to find to pay for it what does it do that yours doesn't?Plus of course your Omega will be more distinctive on the roads than his BMW.

I've thought about the miles I'm doing in a petrol omega 22K last year, and the fact that some service parts are unobtainable at any UK dealer, and I can do the man maths that proves that I'd be no worse off and have less stress if I took out a PCP plan on something more economical like my dad's Focus 1.3 Ecoboost.   

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 July 2018, 20:28:43 »

Well admittedly I'm not the worlds biggest Omega fan[the Senator was a far superior car to me]but even I wouldn't get rid of the Omega for a Focus[of any description]but I suppose it's whatever floats your boat :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 July 2018, 00:17:18 »

Too true Baza! He pays all that money an dosn't have the joy of having to crawl under the thing every weekend to keep it going!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 July 2018, 00:32:14 »

I've thought about the miles I'm doing in a petrol omega 22K last year, and the fact that some service parts are unobtainable at any UK dealer, and I can do the man maths that proves that I'd be no worse off and have less stress if I took out a PCP plan on something more economical like my dad's Focus 1.3 Ecoboost.
What service items can you not buy ???
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 July 2018, 09:38:52 »

Also 1 & 2 series going FWD in next gen apparently.  :-\
Ah, back to its roots then, as the original 1 Series was designed by Rover as a FWD small family car, hastily reconfigured when BMW kept the design when selling Rover (presumably because it was better than the shite they were pumping out at the time). Which is why it ended up being such a compromised car.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.