Chat Area > General Discussion Area

Building Advice

(1/6) > >>

tunnie:
So we have chosen our architect for extending tunnie's towers, plans are now submitted to the council, we await their decision. It could just maybe have been done in permitted development, but advice from many was to go full planning so have all paperwork. Also helps when selling it's all in and approved and for the small sum, a no-brainer really.

Had a few builders around, all coming in at same price roughly and splitting payment equally over the term of work.

Where I need advice is:

1) I know work can start 7 days after approval is given, the builder can then have the inspector come out 4 or 5 times to inspect as he goes. EG - Builder digs the foundations ready for concrete, inspector comes out and gives thumbs up. Concrete goes in. Similar things happen at roof stages/structure etc.

2) Other option, is I also get full building engineering plans drawn up. Then submit that to the council, wait another 6 weeks  >:( - For that to be approved, I use that then as my safety net with the builder.

Thoughts on either? One builder we had was very good, showed us loads of photos of work done and will take me to them if we get close do doing the deal. But he favoured option 2. Have another builder coming around next week, who has done work for friends of ours and they were very happy. I'll probably go with him, as early indications show price is same as others but because we know he has done good work and seen his work, is a huge bonus. Also they ploughed on with work during 'beast from east' when snow/ice everywhere, they just carried on as normal which is a good sign to me.

Oh and FYI it will be a single story rear extension, also taking 70% of the garage and will be about 4m by 7m.

Shackeng:
You know you do not have to use the Council's Inspector, and in any event, IME after multi building projects, you will be lucky to see him once. :y

tunnie:

--- Quote from: Shackeng on 02 November 2018, 16:36:15 ---You know you do not have to use the Council's Inspector, and in any event, IME after multi building projects, you will be lucky to see him once. :y

--- End quote ---

Yeah I know you can use independents, did you find that better? Also is it worth getting approval for engineering plans signed off as second stage/building code approval?  :-\

Shackeng:
I never used that option. Just building plans or Architects drawings., and have used independents for the last few jobs. Last time I think it was £75 for the indy. :y

tunnie:
Thanks  :y :y - Did he come out just once at the end or during stages?

Be interested to know what Fuse 19 did during his work, either council or Indy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version