Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2979284 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #21645 on: 13 January 2021, 19:30:29 »

It's pretty much a given that the correct camber is all the way out on the upper bolt.*

The lower bolt hole (on the hub) should be round, which helps.

*I have only once encountered a car that requied the top bolt to be pushed inboard slightly to correct this when finally set up, which, with hindsight could have been due to the shape of the holes on the strut rather than the hub.
Onanists always think outside the box.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #21646 on: 13 January 2021, 20:26:44 »

Much easier to set camber on your own with one of those inflatable bags used for easing the door frames out when you lock the keys in or a wedge. Just insert between strutt and top of the wheel, inflate or tap in until setting is correct

Absolute genius idea. :y
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21647 on: 13 January 2021, 21:17:19 »

Geometry is out but that is expected so taking into work later this week to set up on the Hunter machine. I did add camber adjustment bolts though so should make it a little easier

Well, got mine done yesterday. Managed to get the front camber to -1 degree 23 minutes as that is the best I could get at the time holding the wheel upright whilst someone locked the bolts up. A stronger bod at a later date will get it perfect. All other settings as per WIM

Work smarter, not harder: when I did mine, I tightened the camber bolts whilst my 75 year old mother held the wheel in place with the jack handle through one of the 'spokes.' I used a magnetic digital angle gauge stuck to a length of angle-iron cable tied across the wheel rim for the camber reading. When I had the alignment done properly, it was about 3 minutes out.

Jesus wept :o
Laying a rubber road.

iansoutham

• SE London
    • Omega 2.0 m/f/l est CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #21648 on: 14 January 2021, 03:52:19 »

Much easier to set camber on your own with one of those inflatable bags used for easing the door frames out when you lock the keys in or a wedge. Just insert between strutt and top of the wheel, inflate or tap in until setting is correct

Have got them and worked well up to a point. Then the hand pump just was not up to the job so getting a better hand pump (cheap eBay job for less than tenner for 2). That was my initial backup plan.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21649 on: 17 January 2021, 10:47:23 »

Spent a bit more time trying to trace the strange electrical gremlins on TBE, symptoms are around the drivers seat not moving and a feint lights-on buzzer when ignition is off but key still in ignition.

The door switches look good on a meter, which makes me slightly suspicious of the alarm ecu, given the live data coming out of it.  That doesn't explain why the seat eco is unresponsive when the seat doesn't work, so could be 2 separate issues, although they seem to play up at the same time....

I will have another poke around today...    ...although I might just scrap it, as was planned anyway once she has to start going back into the office due to LPG availability.
Grumpy old man

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21650 on: 17 January 2021, 12:58:57 »

sticking a de-humidifier in it for a few days might help if you own one  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21651 on: 17 January 2021, 15:43:52 »

Been there, done that ;D

Its actually reasonably dry inside now its water proof, and towels have soaked up what had pooled in the NSR footwell.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21652 on: 17 January 2021, 15:44:51 »

Refitted the passenger front carpet and trims on TBE, swapped door contact switches over from passenger to drivers. Lets see how that goes.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21653 on: 17 January 2021, 15:52:39 »

Took the Astra for a spirited drive to the stables to replenish the electrons that seem to have seeped out, even put some fuel in it and pumped up the tyres.  ;D

Looked at the ever increasing puddle of water in the passenger footwell of the daily, shut the door and walked away LOL. Carried on contemplating what to replace it with then decided a little snooze in front of the fire was a far better plan.  ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21654 on: 17 January 2021, 16:07:14 »

Removed the cobwebs form the Evo on some classic empty mountain roads near me Llanwonno, Bwlch, and the Rhigos. Yes I know, but they are really in this country ;D Battery is nice and charged now. Haven’t took it out for a fortnight and it’s going to take an hour or two for the shakes to subside  :o
Laying a rubber road.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21655 on: 17 January 2021, 16:22:44 »

Been there, done that ;D

Its actually reasonably dry inside now its water proof, and towels have soaked up what had pooled in the NSR footwell.
It's probably a moisture issue. Sitting around getting damp and never being driven far enough to warm up, let alone dry out won't help.

I drove mine to the big shops 11 miles away the other day just to give it bit of a run. I did consider Chichester, 20 miles each way, to give it a decent blat and top the battery off, but decided against it as we actually have a Sainsbugs and Tescos in the village, so had no real justification to even do the 11 miles... Other than to give the car a stretch.

Incidentally, if you have a preserved Plod car, you can use it on the Public roads for three reasons... to/from shows, to/from garage, and for 'battery charging' purposes... Which in itself implies that taking the car out for a run is actually a thing ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

ffcgary1

• Omega Baron
  • Mitcham,Surrey.
  • I really must get my eyes seen to.
    • Omega Estate/ jaguar XJ6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21656 on: 17 January 2021, 16:28:52 »

Finally transferred the registration number to my P38 range rover from my Omega, its the start of the process to finally sell the old girl, but it is so hard to part with it, i love the car so much but it has not been used much since 2017 when it toured around France and Belgium doing all the first world war battlefields and cemetery's.  I really Dont want to get rid of it i really Dont.
Gary. :-\
Elite leather, cruise control, 3.0ltr cams, gas flowed 3.0ltr inlet manifold, 4 bar fuel pressure regulator, rear side window demisters, rear electric windows. projectors /HID'S, h/l washers.
Jaguar XJ6

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21657 on: 17 January 2021, 16:49:20 »

Your unlikely to get much for it so worth considering keeping it, unless parking space is a serious issue ?
I may well have the same conundrum later this year and wont be sure what to do.
I think I will decide to definitely sell it, but only if I can get a grand for it. Its unlikely anyone will pay that for it, so I wont sell it, but that wont be my fault.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21658 on: 18 January 2021, 19:18:40 »

Trying to make my mind up if the 2 symptoms with TBE - alarm triggers and drivers seat intermittently non functional - are due to same fault.

Although noticed at the same time, I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that they are unrelated now...
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21659 on: 21 January 2021, 14:47:47 »

C**o. New battery, new injector seal, new connector soldered onto the loom to replace one that was falling apart.
Im bloody froze now.  ::)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.