Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: C30NE Setting camshaft and distributor timing  (Read 7238 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Re: C30NE Setting camshaft and distributor timing
« Reply #15 on: 25 October 2014, 08:38:44 »

Arvine, you have e-mail  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 October 2014, 10:15:31 »

hi guys,
i have a C30NE engine (12V) and i would like to clarify the correct timing of this engine, should the crank rotation sensor should line up with the region of the crank pully (that has the gear like notches) where it is missing a notch, ie a space where there should have been 2 notches/ teeth, and #1 piston at TDC and the distributor rotor has a notch on the tip of the rotor should line up with a notch on the distributor housing in the region of #1 cylinder spark plug wire.

currently the crank rotation sensor lines up with the crank pully (region that misses a notch) when the distributor rotor points to # 5 cylinder spark plug wire...  the engine starts and runs (easy for a Motronic 1.5 system that pulses the injectors in banks: 1+2+3 together then 4+5+6 together and the coil sends the spark respective of engine RPM which the rotor directs to the appropriate spark plug... when revved, it revvs well, but when held at a constant revv above idle, there is a serious missfire problem with rather frequent exhaust backfires,  the oxygen sensor signal fluctuates from 0.18V to 0.89 V, the engine idles smoothly, spark plugs were checked for spark (injectors unclipped, plugs put onto plug wires and the engine cranked), plugs cleaned with carb cleaner and gap set to 0.035" and reinstalled), fuel pressure was not checked (awaiting delivery of a fuel pressure testing kit), though has battery voltage at the pump +ve terminal

does any one have access to a workshop manual on setting the timing correctly???

regards
R-vin

hey guys, i made a mistake (was with the significant other while checking this, i should have gotten out from below the car to check for my self) when i said that the crank pully notch was on # 5 cylinder, re checked it this morning, with assistance of an experienced mechanic...  the notch on the CPS wheel/crank pully lines up with the #3 spark plug with #1 cylinder not at TDC,
i went below again while the mechanic checked the proper TDC position of #1 cylinder...  he showed me that the rotor groove in the middle does not line up with the notch on the distributor housing....  in clockwise rotation, the notch on the distributor housing was infront of the rotor notch, actually futher ahead than the rotor tip.....
i have a new question, can the distributor be rotated on the engine, or will i have to remove it and try to engage it to the crank shaft in the correct position....

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
`To retime the distributor you remove the clamp bolt, pull the distributor body(with the cap removed) off the engine, this diisengaging the drive gear, then put it back where you choose. The ECU adjusts the timing, but if the rotor arm does not coincide with a pick up contact over the entire range of ECU timing adjustment you will get misfiring. It's all in Haynes somewhere.

The state of distributor cap and leads is critical for good starting and running. I used to carry a spare cap and leads and change the lot if it misbehaved.

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 October 2014, 16:06:19 »

Arvine, you have e-mail  :y

thanks buddy,

cheers
R-vin
R-vin

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 October 2014, 18:36:37 »

I remember that it's very easy to get the dizzy 180 deg out when you fit it. Either remove it start again, or in the mean time reposition the HT leads to suit  :y

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 October 2014, 18:46:59 »

No problem, I don`t have any experience of the C30NE engine, The C30SE seemed a lot easier with the timing and didn`t need a timing light.
I`ll have a look at the pictures you sent me tomorrow and see if I can give any input, There`s a couple of lads on here that are/ have been Autobahnstormers members that might be able to help, I`ve also got a friend that has had a few Monzas and Carltons with the C30NE engine so I`m sure we`ll get it sorted one way or another  :y

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 October 2014, 19:56:24 »

hi guys,
i have a C30NE engine (12V) and i would like to clarify the correct timing of this engine, should the crank rotation sensor should line up with the region of the crank pully (that has the gear like notches) where it is missing a notch, ie a space where there should have been 2 notches/ teeth, and #1 piston at TDC and the distributor rotor has a notch on the tip of the rotor should line up with a notch on the distributor housing in the region of #1 cylinder spark plug wire.

currently the crank rotation sensor lines up with the crank pully (region that misses a notch) when the distributor rotor points to # 5 cylinder spark plug wire...  the engine starts and runs (easy for a Motronic 1.5 system that pulses the injectors in banks: 1+2+3 together then 4+5+6 together and the coil sends the spark respective of engine RPM which the rotor directs to the appropriate spark plug... when revved, it revvs well, but when held at a constant revv above idle, there is a serious missfire problem with rather frequent exhaust backfires,  the oxygen sensor signal fluctuates from 0.18V to 0.89 V, the engine idles smoothly, spark plugs were checked for spark (injectors unclipped, plugs put onto plug wires and the engine cranked), plugs cleaned with carb cleaner and gap set to 0.035" and reinstalled), fuel pressure was not checked (awaiting delivery of a fuel pressure testing kit), though has battery voltage at the pump +ve terminal

does any one have access to a workshop manual on setting the timing correctly???

regards
R-vin

hey guys, i made a mistake (was with the significant other while checking this, i should have gotten out from below the car to check for my self) when i said that the crank pully notch was on # 5 cylinder, re checked it this morning, with assistance of an experienced mechanic...  the notch on the CPS wheel/crank pully lines up with the #3 spark plug with #1 cylinder not at TDC,
i went below again while the mechanic checked the proper TDC position of #1 cylinder...  he showed me that the rotor groove in the middle does not line up with the notch on the distributor housing....  in clockwise rotation, the notch on the distributor housing was infront of the rotor notch, actually futher ahead than the rotor tip.....
i have a new question, can the distributor be rotated on the engine, or will i have to remove it and try to engage it to the crank shaft in the correct position....

Ω 4 Life
R-vin
`To retime the distributor you remove the clamp bolt, pull the distributor body(with the cap removed) off the engine, this diisengaging the drive gear, then put it back where you choose. The ECU adjusts the timing, but if the rotor arm does not coincide with a pick up contact over the entire range of ECU timing adjustment you will get misfiring. It's all in Haynes somewhere.

The state of distributor cap and leads is critical for good starting and running. I used to carry a spare cap and leads and change the lot if it misbehaved.

hey, being a new owner to this particular car, i soon realised the lack of maintenance, started by changing the spark plug wires (after getting a nice jolt from #5), then the distributor cap and rotor, then got new plugs in, cleaned the injectors (which were in a terrible state... the plastic cover/seal retainer were broken or missing altogether, luckily i got an injector repair kit>>two actually since were for 4 cyl, which has the new seals, the plastic washer and a new plastic tips), checked the O2 sensor for proper function (appears non functional untill the engine warms up then fluctuates between 0.08V to 0.98V, left to idle would stay lean, throttle snap and it would go rich then lean off and start cycling rich-lean-rich-lean), but the problem was recurring, this is the point i compression tested the engine both cold and hot, 170-180psi across the block, idle vacuum test for valve sealing issues saw low manifold vacuum where the gauge showed leak at intake manifold, used a lot of carb cleaner spray looking for this leak and nothing, this is when i decided to go back to basics and check the engine timing...
i just made an adjustment to the distributor position (not sure how to send a foto in this post), the engine seems to be much better, though did not get enough time to let it warm up (thermostat 92°C open)... will be heading out soon, will see how it works.

cheers guys
R-vin
R-vin

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 October 2014, 12:06:59 »

You set distributor by inserting it to engage its gear so that with no. 1 cylinder about to fire rotor arm is aligned with the no. 1 lead contact in the distributor cap, bearing in mind that as ignition timing advances it must still align. The end of the rotor arm is quite long to assist you here. There may be some adjustment on the locking screw slot. Then as long as the plug leads are in the right order it should run on all 6.

Haynes manual weighs 750gms.

R-vin

• Trinidad, W.I.
  • Best Regards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 December 2014, 07:23:08 »

hey guys,
i`d like to thank all of you for rallying to my needs, i finally got the engine revving right!!!!!, the distributor needed turning about 10° anti-clockwise, as soon as i can get some pictures posted, every one can see how to properly time a C30NE engine,
basically the flat side of the distributor (where has the recess for the tab of the distributor cap to enter) should be positioned " square" to the engine, or simply rotate it till this is closest to the cylinder head.
i`m thinking that the timing was adjusted by someone, particularly when the thermostat housing started leaking to probably stop the engine from boiling the water (no pressureised system).

cheers guys
R-vin

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 December 2014, 13:58:04 »

No problem, glad you got it soerted  :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.