Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back brake disc and pads  (Read 1009 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
Back brake disc and pads
« on: 03 September 2020, 10:05:16 »

I know that there is a post for the fronts. But thought I would do one for the back brake setup.

Can anyone tell me if these back brake pads, will fit a 1995 2ltr (X20XEV) estate and a 2002 2.6ltr (Y26SE)?

The part number is GM 9192125, which I assume is the Trade ones, if not what is the number I need?

Also are the Delphi Back discs, as good as the ones recommended on the other post?

I have found some and it says that they fit both Omegas. So I assume that it was only the front brakes that were different on the 1995 Omega. I have the bits to update it to later discs and calipers, as recommended by DG on the other post. And both are solid discs rear.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Solid-Brake-Discs-Opel-Omega-B-2-0-16V-Saloon-94-99-136HP-285mm/372759253011

Just getting all the bits together to sort, them ready for winter.

Thanks for any help.

Addy

Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Back brake disc and pads
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2020, 10:28:34 »

The rear pads are all the same but the fitting kit that used to be included with the GM pads is for non-vented discs only.
Your 2.6 V6  probably came with vented discs from the factory? You should check, as you can't fit solid discs in lieu of vented, they're 12mm thick versus 20mm for the vented.
« Last Edit: 03 September 2020, 10:36:27 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2020, 10:38:54 »

Rear pads are the same on every Omega ever built.

As said, your car should have vented discs.

If it doesn't, you should consider not driving it until you have...

1. Verified exactly which calipers are fitted.
2. That you have the correct discs for those calipers.
3. Have fitted the appropriate calipers.

As a quick check, solid calipers are marked '40' and venteds are marked '42'.

Rear fitting kits are only good for non vented. For venteds you'll need to get from Vauxhall.
Onanists always think outside the box.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2020, 11:29:08 »

Thanks for the replies.  I thought it best to check, as I recall somewhere on here about vented discs. But couldn't remember which cars they were on, was it just the 2.6 or fitted with vents on other engine sizes?  At least I know to look for vented now, for the 2.6, would the discs in the link Tbe OK for the 2ltr?

Thanks again for all the help. Much appreciated.

Addy
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2020, 12:09:27 »

Those rear discs will fit ANY Omega with solid discs, so ALl except 2.6/3.2. :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2020, 15:03:28 »

The part number is GM 9192125, which I assume is the Trade ones, if not what is the number I need?

Also are the Delphi Back discs, as good as the ones recommended on the other post?
GM #9193476 = Original pads for all Omegas. The package include anti-rattle cross-springs and pins for solid disc calipers only.
GM #9192126 = Aftermarket spec Tradeclub pads for all Omegas. No anti-rattle cross-springs or pins included.
GM #9192125 = Aftermarket spec Tradeclub pads for Vectra B. I don't believe these include any fitting components.

GM #9195056 = 55mm wide anti-rattle cross-spring for 43mm vented disc caliper, 2 required.
GM #9195055 = 86mm pad retaining pin, 4 required.

#9192125 and #9192126 do indeed appear to be the same part. Might be just a different factory. But strictly speaking you need #9193476 as first preference or failing that #9192126.

Try to clean-up and reuse the springs and pins from the vented caliper. Else you might be able to get some as a Vaux dealer pre-paid special order from Germany on 7-10 days delivery. Bill will be circa £50 + VAT.

As DG advised above a vented disc caliper body will have '42' cast into it. A solid disc caliper will have '40' cast into it. These are the piston diameters in mm. If you look closely at a vented caliper body you should be able to make out an 8mm thick spacer in between the two caliper halves. Don't rely on the existing disc as a guide.

If you fit a solid disc in lieu of a vented you run the risk of the pistons popping out of their bores once the pads are worn. Seems to have happened to some of the members.

Also don't be tempted to use the solid caliper anti-rattle springs on the vented caliper. DG keeps telling us that doing so can jam the pads.

« Last Edit: 03 September 2020, 15:05:14 by Enceladus »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2020, 15:17:03 »

I bought some Ferrodo rear vented discs from the Gay of E (and delivered next day) a few weeks back, cost around £40 the pair, delivered. No idea if they are any good, as never fitted them, and never will now.  I wouldn't ever consider Delphi shite though.

Rear pads are identical throughout the range, but you may have to reuse your existing pins and antirattle spring if you have vented discs.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2020, 15:17:54 »

That last point isn't fiction.

If the vented caliper is 8mm wider, it stands to reason that the solid anti rattle spring is 8mm narrower, which is coincidentally the combined pad backing thickness. Doesn't take a genius to see that the spring can end up inside the pads, effectively wedging them off the disc... at best severely restricting pad movement and at worse rendering them non existent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.