Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspension - Front Legs !?  (Read 1261 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
Suspension - Front Legs !?
« on: 07 August 2010, 23:39:12 »

Is this normal  :question

Only noticed the gap between damper rod plates & chassis mounting after new wishbones fitted... Posted a topic about it & got lots of helpful advice about what checks to make.. fully understand the advice given but can't remove the 24mm brass nut above the plate in order to carry out any checks. I've now been to three seperate garage mechanics who are all telling me there SHOULD be a gap between plate and mount  :exclamation knowing that mechanics can be liberal with the truth to get a job, I seriously don't know if this is normal or not? Can anyone with a pre-facelift mig tell me if thiers look the same or tight to chassis  :question
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

mic_k

• Telford shropshire
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension - Front Legs !?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August 2010, 00:08:48 »

Is this normal  :question

Only noticed the gap between damper rod plates & chassis mounting after new wishbones fitted... Posted a topic about it & got lots of helpful advice about what checks to make.. fully understand the advice given but can't remove the 24mm brass nut above the plate in order to carry out any checks. I've now been to three seperate garage mechanics who are all telling me there SHOULD be a gap between plate and mount  :exclamation knowing that mechanics can be liberal with the truth to get a job, I seriously don't know if this is normal or not? Can anyone with a pre-facelift mig tell me if thiers look the same or tight to chassis  :question

hmm.. adjustable spanner + metal pipe on it and another person with 11mm spanner on the top, must go, just did that last week.  Don't think I've got gap so big tho. Will check tommorow
Laser cows, like normal cows but with lasers

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 August 2010, 00:17:39 »

Had a go with adjustable and 11mm on top but on my own without metal pipe on the handle (very good idea!) Just wouldn't budge! Slightly burred the brass nut and dented the adjustables
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

mic_k

• Telford shropshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2010, 11:53:45 »

just had a look on mines and... it looks the same if not higher than yours :o. maybe it's like it supposed to be  :-? I hope so.
Laser cows, like normal cows but with lasers

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 August 2010, 12:03:14 »

You asked the same question here mate??

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1280961818
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 August 2010, 12:17:05 »

There is supposed to be a gap between the plate and the strut mount. Get some-one to turn the steering from lock to lock as you look at the strut mounts, you will see the way they are designed to move.

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 August 2010, 12:19:25 »

just did that last week.

Me too!!! How is your new suspension, did you fit it yet? :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 August 2010, 14:01:40 »

Posted by: Darth Loo-knee Posted on: Today at 12:03
You asked the same question here mate??

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1280961818

Very similar but this time just want to know if I even need to make any checks at all. I'm being told by garage mechanics it's normal, so wanted to see if other pre-facelifts look the same. Like the old addage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"  ;)

"Posted a topic about it & got lots of helpful advice about what checks to make.. fully understand the advice given but can't remove the 24mm brass nut"

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 August 2010, 14:03:21 »

Thanks for looking Mic_K  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 August 2010, 01:43:45 »

Can anyone with a pre-facelift mig tell me if thiers look the same or tight to chassis
120 hits :exclamation mic_K knows what his tea saucers look like :y Has anyone else noticed theirs while immersing their heads in rocker cover oil leaks  :D

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 August 2010, 09:45:43 »

[size=18]The gap is supposed to be there, it's normal.[/size]

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 August 2010, 10:52:59 »

brickhead maybe you should read this  ;)
chrisgixer wrote on 05. Aug 2010 at 00:03 "Might have removed the shock to change the wishbone I suppose, but it's not necessary normally" chrisgixer wrote on 05. Aug 2010 at 00:19 "It's the bottom nut may need tightening, or the top mont on the shock is disintegrating" matchless wrote on 05. Aug 2010 at 09:57 "Take it back to the mechanic and get him to make good his poor work".
You say normal but others don't, that's why I'm asking if others look the same, not advice, just a straight up Q. do your's look the same  :y

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 August 2010, 11:27:18 »

Not on my Omega because I sold the front suspension to mic_k last week.

In the past I have replaced the upper strut mounts on a Cavalier I used to own and that gap is supposed to be there, it will close up if you jack up the front of the car. I can guarantee that the gap will be there on my Vectra.

If the top of the strut was solidly fixed to the car body then the steering movement of the wheels would cause the strut to try and flex. Have a look on your car whilst someone operates the steering from lock to lock, as long as the movement of the topmount is smooth and fluid with no notchiness or jerkiness then I'd say it was fine.

How big is the gap and is it the same on both sides of the car?

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 August 2010, 20:52:05 »

gap looks the same both side's - approx 1/2 inch or 1.5cm - I understand what you're saying & it makes perfect sense (only queried it because no gap before new wishbones were fitted) Anyway I'll have to just forget about it because no one (except you, gixer & mic_k) will say if they have a gap or not - It's like trying to get blood out of a stone ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.