Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Author Topic: So what have you done to your car today?  (Read 2983076 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: So what have you done to your car today?
« Reply #17565 on: 07 January 2019, 13:28:32 »

How much did you spend to get your 'free' flights?
I think you're just determined to be awkward. It's normal, everyday spending on a credit card, paid off monthly so no interest. So they really are 'free' miles.

Exactly, all my fuel, maintenance cost for cars, goes on it and it's paid off fully each month. I just use it as a debit card really, with added benefit of work expenses.

I probably buy around 5-10k's worth of work stuff per month, this gets expensed. So it really is free miles  :)

Oh and add in the cash back sites I get free money, with my free miles  :D

STEMO

« Reply #17566 on: 07 January 2019, 13:29:59 »

I think you're just determined to be awkward. It's normal, everyday spending on a credit card, paid off monthly so no interest. So they really are 'free' miles.

Exactly, all my fuel, maintenance cost for cars, goes on it and it's paid off fully each month. I just use it as a debit card really, with added benefit of work expenses.

I probably buy around 5-10k's worth of work stuff per month, this gets expensed. So it really is free miles  :)

It's because of people like you that this country is in such a bad way. Bastard!  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17567 on: 07 January 2019, 13:32:40 »

Kinnell, Jimmy! Would you like a private jet direct to the airport of your choice?  ;D

You know us millenials ste, always after summin for nuffin ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17568 on: 07 January 2019, 13:33:11 »

It's because of people like you that this country is in such a bad way. Bastard!  ;D

:D :D :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17569 on: 07 January 2019, 13:41:19 »

Ah yes, £10 for every grand spent...  ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17570 on: 07 January 2019, 13:47:58 »

Does it matter? I'm not likely to stop buying milk and eggs or diesel to get to work...

[edit] .. and don't suggest it would be more cost effective for me to buy a cow and chickens  :P :P
I wouldn't :P looking after them would be a full time job ;D

But I maintain that if you paid actual cash for everything rather than slapping everything on a card, regardless of if/when/how it's paid off, you would be better off because you would actually spend less as a direct result of impulsing less.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #17571 on: 07 January 2019, 13:54:47 »

No, Visa/AMEX deal with MBNA has ended, which was a shame as AMEX was more points and work expenses took it. eg Apple products.

This one is Mastercard, with Virgin Money.

Cheers  :y

Back of a fag packet suggests that the house build could net us two business class fares to San Francisco (one that's been on the bucket list for years). Would be a nice way to celebrate finishing the project, even if it does cost a couple of hundred quid in taxes & fuel surcharge.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17572 on: 07 January 2019, 14:23:48 »

No, Visa/AMEX deal with MBNA has ended, which was a shame as AMEX was more points and work expenses took it. eg Apple products.

This one is Mastercard, with Virgin Money.

Cheers  :y

Back of a fag packet suggests that the house build could net us two business class fares to San Francisco (one that's been on the bucket list for years). Would be a nice way to celebrate finishing the project, even if it does cost a couple of hundred quid in taxes & fuel surcharge.

I found Upper Class ones pricey, we could have saved up in points I guess. But for 40k points total, we've done NYC return for both of us, I'm half way to another pair of tickets already.

You can do 4x regular flights for 1x Upper Class. Although I'm 6ft4 and economy is a real pain, literally! Rather just have more flights.

As next trip I'd like to do Vietnam  :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17573 on: 07 January 2019, 14:25:28 »

But if you spend 10 grand a month and it's of no cost to me.  ;)

STEMO

« Reply #17574 on: 07 January 2019, 14:31:06 »

Aye. £100 for nowt.  :y

aaronjb

« Reply #17575 on: 07 January 2019, 14:31:16 »

'kinell, I'm vastly overpaid and even I don't get paid £10k pcm net  :P

Ah, wait, expenses you said..  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17576 on: 07 January 2019, 14:36:41 »

'kinell, I'm vastly overpaid and even I don't get paid £10k pcm net  :P

Ah, wait, expenses you said..  ;D

I had a mortgage review recently, he pointed out 3 or 4 payments from Sky adding up to about £10k and said is this your salary?

I should have said yes  :D  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17577 on: 07 January 2019, 14:37:30 »

Aye. £100 for nowt.  :y

I just converted about that into Argos vouchers, for MrsT to use for Little MissT. So win win!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17578 on: 07 January 2019, 17:47:40 »

Only a fool would spend to get the free flights, free cashback, or whatever else is on offer.

My credit card (which offers some for of cashback incentive) gets used for most purchases (and obviously paid off in full monthly), and I use cashback sites for online purchases.  These are purchases I would make anyway, not because of the cashback offers.

So used with care and discipline, these can offer freebies at no real cost. Obviously, if you don't pay it off monthly, you'll get royally screwed.

Shame my card now gives Asda vouchers as its cashback.  Which aint much use to me, and I really must change.  But Mrs TB has no trouble spending them :D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17579 on: 07 January 2019, 17:53:22 »

But I maintain that if you paid actual cash for everything rather than slapping everything on a card, regardless of if/when/how it's paid off, you would be better off because you would actually spend less as a direct result of impulsing less.
I guess everyone is different.  Coming from the childhood I did, and dad always drumming in not to buy anything unless you could afford it, means any purchase decision is made on the basis of value and need, rather than the payment form used.  So I know that shiny new laptop, that I probably do actually need now, is £400, irrespective of whether its cash or card...

...and hence I'm typing this on my 12yr old laptop, because its (just about) good enough...
Grumpy old man

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.