Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scruffy Omega Estate  (Read 2032 times)

Pedro

Scruffy Omega Estate
« on: 19 June 2009, 20:55:26 »

Probably put this in the wrong section, so apologies to start with!
 ;D ;D ;D

Had a butcher's at this today.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220436300576

Now, it's done 166K, supposed new engine at half that mileage, bit of a leak in the exhaust, no history produced (apperently there's a shedload, but it wasn't available), very, very scruffy indeed..... like a helluva lot of stone chips - some very deep, scratches all over, a couple of tiny dents, the fake wood near the handbrake is that filthy it's black, you can hardly see the dash clocks for fog behind the clear perspex, there's an oil leak from the filler cap, the AC doesn't work, window switches broken and would take a month of Sundays to put right - oh, and the first Omega I've seen with windy handles for the rear windows!!! BUT it starts and drives well (slightest of hesitancy when the pedal hits the metal), it's a manual gearbox, every panel is straight, the roof rails have no ally corrosion, and apart from the AC, everything works......I forgot to try the stereo, but minor problem.
One owner from new, and apparently, everything it's needed, it's had
Out of tax, and MOT till July.

So it'll need a bottom half respray, AC looking at plus stripping the interior to clean everything with a steam - cleaner!!

I think it's basically a good car with alot of miles, but what do you guys think it's worth?

jonathanh

• Omega Knight
  • coventry
    • View Profile
Re: Scruffy Omega Estate
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2009, 21:11:12 »

scrap value.  £100-£150.

There are much cleaner examples around with better spec.  that looks like a shed load of work for poverty spec. 

I know some may disagree but I'd consider poverty spec if immaculate - but not something that has been treated as a dog kennel
parking near Birmingham airport for members with +250 posts.  PM for info

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2009, 21:15:21 »

There was a worse X plate at the auction recently that had clearly had a rear ender, that went for 550 was also poverty spec  :)
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

Pedro

« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2009, 21:35:31 »

Two different ends of my price scale there!
I kinda thought £250 tops, as I don't mind doing some work, and thought about it as another longish-term project.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2009, 21:40:27 »

Two different ends of my price scale there!
I kinda thought £250 tops, as I don't mind doing some work, and thought about it as another longish-term project.
Ask him if he'll take 150 to 200 you'll get your money back if you tidy it up  :y
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2009, 21:50:40 »

In my opinion a car that looks scruffy inside and out is probably just as bad mechanically.

But that's my opinion.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2009, 00:17:47 »

Doesnt happen often to take a tatty dog and turn it into a crufts winner, sadly.

I'd a tatty dog for the week and a minter for Sunday best!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

smoothomega

• Omega Knight
  • Perth, Western Australia
  • 2002 2.2DTI CDX,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 June 2009, 01:03:25 »

If it stays close to that price and you don't mind the poverty spec, then IMHO it would be a a good buy and with a little tlc would make a nice motor  :y

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 June 2009, 21:47:08 »

In my opinion a car that looks scruffy inside and out is probably just as bad mechanically.

But that's my opinion.

Totally agree with that. I've just bought a Senator 3.0 12v with an immaculate interior (£175 btw) but 160,000 miles. But you'd never believe the mileage. It drives superbly. In fact I still suspect the mileage -yet masses of detailed service history back it up. Admittedly the engine is a C30NE, but it drives smoother, quieter and more refined than my 30NE 60,000 mile Monza.

So yes, a nice clean interior is always a good sign, a dirty tip of an interior a very bad sign.
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 18 queries.