Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Driving styles and fuel economy...  (Read 4373 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Driving styles and fuel economy...
« on: 31 July 2017, 12:47:57 »

You can probably see where this is going  ;)

But at the weekend I was due to meet some mates, we arranged for a bit of lads weekend in Peterbough. So when leaving early Saturday morning, as I had huge chunks of average speed camera road works, I decided to see what I can really squeeze out of my VW. Add in the fact that I was in the car, climate set just so and tunes blasting through Spotify I was super comfy. No little MissT to worry about, no work.

So I really did not care if the drive took 2hrs or 2hrs30, such a rare chance to just sit and listen to music with no disturbances these days. Throw into this I was driving along the car parks known as M1 & M25.

This is what I got...

Over...

I remember thinking about Top Gear's challenge when they drove from south of France, Clarkson had Jag, Hammond the Polo may had a Subaru I think? 

I remember clips from inside car with Clarkson going on with trucks passing him in the background.

I was not that slow. Cruise control set dead on 60mph.

On the way back I did not bother with being careful, cruise set at 85mph instead. MPG? Forgot to take a photo but got 52mpg on the return run.

/Waits for abuse about driving too slowly  ::)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 12:51:28 by tunnie »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
Re: Driving styles and fuel economy...
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2017, 12:52:53 »

Now also consider the book values are 72mpg for 'extra urban' and it's 4 years old and done 85k, did not think that was too bad.  ;D

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2017, 13:01:20 »

Impressive! Especially considering the car has very acceptable performance :)

Have you previously checked the MFD for accuracy? The one on the yeti is correct to within about 1mpg of actual. On the volvo it seems to be about 1-2mpg off actual (both optimistic as you would expect).

I managed 48.2 in the Swede over an 800mile tank last week, which I thought was good, particularly as I was just doing what the conditions would allow, up to about 75mph max. I think the most that would be achievable in mine is about 55-58mpg, but I'd have to find a lot of HGV's to slipstream  ;D.

Now, if I can just get a decent DAB kit fitted... ::)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2017, 13:37:00 »

I've found in 6th gear at 55-70mph it's incredibly good on fuel, you need at least 55mph or 6th is to high. On a run to Wales to see the in-law's I've seen 64mpg over a long run, that was with cruise set at 70mph. I've always thought a 60mph cruise would get it into the 70's, but I was surprised it went so high.

I think a 55mpg cruise would have seen 80+ average, but even for me trucks over-taking me is too slow.  ;D

As you say performance is acceptable, mid range it's very punchy thanks to same torque as the 3.2 V6.

Only thing I really miss is the 80mph+ kick down, do that in the 3.2 and your off leaving most things unable to pass. Can't quite do that in the VW.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2017, 13:38:07 »

No I need to check the MFD, but so far it's saying 360 miles on the trip and it's not used half a tank yet  :D  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2017, 14:03:06 »

Well....

The mighty Signum shows 27.6 MPG over 19867 miles.

The other one shows 22.9 MPG over the last 6543miles. On a 'forced economy run' like Mr Tunnie describes it once averaged 30 MPG. :y

70 MPG plus is showing off .....and nobody likes a smartarse. :P :P :P :P :P :P ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 July 2017, 14:08:32 »

You wait until I crack 80mpg average  :P :P :P

aaronjb

« Reply #7 on: 31 July 2017, 14:41:38 »

I think I would die of boredom if I sat at 60mph with the cruise on, so ~52mpg is about the best I've seen on a run (and much less across a tank as at least half the week is short journeys).

Usually the run to work is 50-52mpg (*cough* 70mph north of MK, slowly dropping to ~60mph by the time you're near Luton where everyone seems to have received their driving license free with 8 packs of cornflakes, then the usual 0-50-0 stop-start on the M25 until Heathrow) and the run home is mid-40s as the traffic is worse.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 July 2017, 14:49:00 »

Setting your cruise control at 55 mph will see your actual speed at circa 51mph as VAG speedos overread quite generously (hence the error between computer and real world)... this puts you very close to the plus 10% minimum required for safe overtaking of trucks doing an actual 56mph... Borderline suicidal.

I would rather get 25mpg less and not risk being crushed in the car. :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 July 2017, 15:09:15 »

In fact, does anything from VAG tell the truth? ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 July 2017, 15:21:05 »

I think I would die of boredom if I sat at 60mph

For me, it was as if I was sat in the living room on the sofa with music on. Just happen to be in the car.  :y

The times when I don't have to deal with my daughter, or have a pile of things to sort at home is very rare.

When you have a daughter and wife to support, trust me time alone is relax is rare  ;D

In fact, does anything from VAG tell the truth? ;D

Not really, but then again does any car maker? Jag's have a distinct case of BS as well when it comes to their figures vs real world.

aaronjb

« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2017, 15:33:18 »

this puts you very close to the plus 10% minimum required for safe overtaking of trucks

Could someone tell that to the truckers? Every morning the M1 slows down from 70+ to 62mph because there are long lines of artics in lanes 1 & 2 overtaking each other with a speed differential of about 0.000001% and then there's Bob in his Luton van doing 62mph in the outside lane trying to get past all of them..

When you have a daughter and wife to support, trust me time alone is relax is rare  ;D

It's bad enough with just a girlfriend.. I can't imagine having a sprog as well! ;) I intend never to find out, though.. Still, I spend plenty of time in the car alone and I don't find it that relaxing as you still have to concentrate (OK, I'm well aware plenty of people don't, and that's why I see them upside down/sideways/in many pieces on the M1 on a regular basis!). Not that I don't find it enjoyable to drive when it's not rush-hour - I genuinely enjoy driving - it's just not as relaxing as being at home in front of the idiot box (my other hobby ;D)

Anyhoo.. 72mpg is still impressive, any which way you cut it.

Ironically now I don't do the commute four days a week there was no real reason for me to get a frugal derv - I could have (should have!) kept the truck and I'd be better off at this point. Hindsight, and all that..

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 July 2017, 15:40:52 »

My 3.2 elite, driven quite gently averages 23.8mpg, but I don't care.  :)
Other car which gets used 70% of the time has almost infinite mpg.  :)
« Last Edit: 31 July 2017, 15:45:33 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 31 July 2017, 15:41:42 »

this puts you very close to the plus 10% minimum required for safe overtaking of trucks

Could someone tell that to the truckers? Every morning the M1 slows down from 70+ to 62mph because there are long lines of artics in lanes 1 & 2 overtaking each other with a speed differential of about 0.000001% and then there's Bob in his Luton van doing 62mph in the outside lane trying to get past all of them..

It's bad enough with just a girlfriend.. I can't imagine having a sprog as well! ;) I intend never to find out, though.. Still, I spend plenty of time in the car alone and I don't find it that relaxing as you still have to concentrate (OK, I'm well aware plenty of people don't, and that's why I see them upside down/sideways/in many pieces on the M1 on a regular basis!). Not that I don't find it enjoyable to drive when it's not rush-hour - I genuinely enjoy driving - it's just not as relaxing as being at home in front of the idiot box (my other hobby ;D)

Anyhoo.. 72mpg is still impressive, any which way you cut it.

Ironically now I don't do the commute four days a week there was no real reason for me to get a frugal derv - I could have (should have!) kept the truck and I'd be better off at this point. Hindsight, and all that..

76mpg  :P

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 31 July 2017, 15:56:59 »

That's impressive  :y , especially as you were on cruise for some of the journey as I find I can drive more economically when I don't use cruise.
A 420d Beemer won't get anywhere near that, most I've seen on a constant run is 62.9mpg and 50mpg from the 430d on the same run.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.