Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: White smoke.  (Read 8470 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
White smoke.
« on: 16 June 2018, 01:50:13 »

Hi all,as above white smoke coming from the engine bay/grill when up to temp.Is this a sign of a coolant leak,TIA Dean. :y

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke.
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2018, 06:12:53 »

Not necessarily it could be stored damp from over night or rain water.  If you notice the water level and water pressure has changed then it can be a pin hole leak but if up to temp turn off engine and you should hear it hissing.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2018, 08:51:11 »

Remove the 3 piece plastic rad cover and have a look at the rad when it's running at full temp, not unknown to have hairline crack in the black  plastic bits of the rad
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2018, 10:18:58 »

Hi all a bit more info.Car was stood for two weeks,then did 40 miles and then stood for another week.Went to asda last night parked up back at home then noticed the smoke,only because it was dark.Left the car running and smelt the smoke/steam,its not burning oil smell its some thing else.Checked the exhaust no white smoke that i could see,just smells of exhaust gasses.The smoke was just wafting up not being blown,so the fan was not on.Temp is perfect 90/92 so not over heating,i could not open the bonnet as the cable is stretched.And i need someone to push down on the bonnet,to release it.I am going to have a look at the expansion bottle to see what the level is,but normally the display tells me low coolant.If Feb i had a full service done by Serek everything was good until now,hope its not a big problem Dean. :-\ :(.  BTW Serek changed the HBV when he did the service.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 10:20:45 by moggy »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2018, 10:23:32 »

Not necessarily it could be stored damp from over night or rain water.  If you notice the water level and water pressure has changed then it can be a pin hole leak but if up to temp turn off engine and you should hear it hissing.
Hi Chazza,did not hear any hissing when i switched off.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2018, 11:22:39 »

As you say smoke/steam is coming from front grille area, my money is on a small crack / pin hole  in the rad plastic casing .  I had a very small coolant leak & smell of coolant when hot ,for ages  but just could not locate it as no visible trace or drips. . 

Eventually on a very cold day with the car at full running temp there was a small column of steam rising from the n/s front of the rad . Still could not see where it was coming from until rad was removed .

Once you are able to open your bonnet & then remove the black rad cover/s , if you can see steam from the grille with the bonnet shut , you should be able to see where it is coming from.

visible steam at this time of year ( warm)  could mean it is a fair leak .. Your header tank level will give an idea. But don't forget that small coolant leaks quite often only happen under pressure when hot & evaporate before being able to leave a drip on the ground etc. 

New rad is about £45   & fairly simple to do  . .all be it fiddly   ;)

HTH  :y
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 11:27:55 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2018, 11:29:57 »

As you say smoke/steam is coming from front grille area, my money is on a small crack / pin hole  in the rad plastic casing .  I had a very small coolant leak & smell of coolant when hot ,for ages  but just could not locate it as no visible trace or drips. . 

Eventually on a very cold day with the car at full running temp there was a small column of steam rising from the n/s front of the rad . Still could not see where it was coming from until rad was removed .

Once you are able to open your bonnet & then remove the black rad cover/s , if you can see steam from the grille with the bonnet shut , you should be able to see where it is coming from.

visible steam at this time of year ( warm)  could mean it is a fair leak .. Your header tank level will give an idea. But don't forget that small coolant leaks quite often only happen under pressure when hot & evaporate before being able to leave a drip on the ground etc. 

HTH  :y
Hi mate,it was not very warm last night.And i could only see it with the headlights on,could not see any smoke with them off.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2018, 11:54:57 »

hi Dean

my point was that I could not see anything  until a very cold day & even then it was a few minutes after the engine had been shut off.

Once you get bonnet open  . . . first check the header tank, if it is empty or lower than usual then it points to a coolant issue. Re fill header tank & then  run the car up to temp . . then see if anything is visible    . . . that would be my next move   :y
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 11:58:10 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2018, 12:37:52 »

Is the coolant level dropping?
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2018, 20:31:09 »

Is the coolant level dropping?
So far he can,t tell because he can,t open bonnet.  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2018, 13:17:59 »

Hi all a bit more info.Car was stood for two weeks,then did 40 miles and then stood for another week.Went to asda last night parked up back at home then noticed the smoke,only because it was dark.Left the car running and smelt the smoke/steam,its not burning oil smell its some thing else.Checked the exhaust no white smoke that i could see,just smells of exhaust gasses.The smoke was just wafting up not being blown,so the fan was not on.Temp is perfect 90/92 so not over heating,i could not open the bonnet as the cable is stretched.And i need someone to push down on the bonnet,to release it.I am going to have a look at the expansion bottle to see what the level is,but normally the display tells me low coolant.If Feb i had a full service done by Serek everything was good until now,hope its not a big problem Dean. :-\ :(.  BTW Serek changed the HBV when he did the service.
Tie the Bonnet Pull Lever to the Steering Wheel, Mains Cable is good for this, then your free to work on the Bonnet.  ;)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2018, 07:31:35 »

Can't stand the tension anymore  . . .is THAT bonnet open yet ?    ;D ;D ;D ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2018, 07:48:10 »

When my radiator went it had a very small hole/crack right in the top face of the plastic side tank on passenger side and was firing a very fine spray straight at the underside of the plastic rad cover so I only caught sight of the leak by chance.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2018, 08:15:39 »

When my radiator went it had a very small hole/crack right in the top face of the plastic side tank on passenger side and was firing a very fine spray straight at the underside of the plastic rad cover so I only caught sight of the leak by chance.

Yer Baza . . .but WAS  your bonnet open !   :-\    Come on Dean  suspense is getting too much now !  ;D ;D ;D ;D     

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2018, 08:54:02 »

Hi all,hope your well.Right so to put Alnico Blue out of his misery ;D and sort the problem.As its a nice day with the help of my wife i am going to get the bonnet open.First i will check the level in the expansion tank,and top up if necessary then i am going to put some dye in.Just a couple of questions,can i get the dye from a local factors.Also how much do you put in and can you leave it in,would i be able to see the dye in the daylight.As i was going to wait until it was dark, and use my torch to see if i can see if i can see where the smoke/steam is coming from.Also would you guys use the car with this problem,as i need to get about.I may even need to get to serek,but i am not sure it will make it.Any advice welcome :-[ :( :-\.Thank's Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 June 2018, 09:35:16 »

I had a similar problem with a mysterious coolant leak (look it up under that title) and I used some UV tracer dye from ebay, bundled with a UV torch. Not easy to see the glow in daylight and also, as in my case the leaking coolant was chucked around by the fanm, not easy to pinpoint even in the dark!
I hope that helps and if you want details of the vendor for those items, I'll try to look them up for you.

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 June 2018, 09:46:09 »

I had a similar problem with a mysterious coolant leak (look it up under that title) and I used some UV tracer dye from ebay, bundled with a UV torch. Not easy to see the glow in daylight and also, as in my case the leaking coolant was chucked around by the fanm, not easy to pinpoint even in the dark!
I hope that helps and if you want details of the vendor for those items, I'll try to look them up for you.

Ron.
Thanks Bigron,that would be a great help.Dean. :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 June 2018, 10:02:03 »

Ron.
BTW Ron,cant find your thread did you get it sorted Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 June 2018, 10:04:03 »

Ye Gods, the prices now!
The company I used has ceased to trade and there is cheap dye, from the US, but with a £15 carriage charge and the UV torches are now silly money.
Your local aircon re-gassing centre may be able to help?

Sorry I couldn't be much help.

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 June 2018, 10:10:36 »

I did find the leak eventually, yes, but not after going to EssexBigAl's place and he changed the radiator for me; there was a leak from the plastic casing all down under the top hose, not visible with the rad in situ.

Ron.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 June 2018, 11:14:53 »

only jesting about your bonnet Dean  . . ;)  get your missus to sit on the front edge of it while you pull the lever, and then stand up while you are still pulling. :) :)

Ok  . .so once you are in there  .  .first try and adjust your bonnet pull cable as you are going to have to keep checking the header tank. There is a guide on here somewhere. easy job , just 1 small bolt head to loosen , re tension cable outer  & re tighten (see guide)
   IF the header tank is below the "cold level" mark it could/ probably is  a coolant leak . If the header  tank is empty or almost empty , same as above,  but that means your low coolant warning is not working as well.  (Low coolant warning is normally a problem the other way round , with it showing when level is fine owing to float switch in the tank fubered.)

IF your header tank is still at its usual level , your "white smoke " from the grille area issue will probably be something else & not a coolant issue .

IF the level is down  you need to refill to cold level mark & monitor it constantly , after each short trip ,  over the next few days to see if it drops . IMO  short trips are ok  . . but nothing more until you find out if coolant is dropping & how quickly.

As a guide my leak was about half a litre every 100/150 miles in use , but would not lose anything while parked up Monday to Friday. Temp gauge was always a steady 90/92 with this leak ongoing.

Report back once you have seen the header tank level & we can go on from there  :y

« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 11:30:39 by Alnico Blue »

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 18 June 2018, 11:42:55 »

Dean
         Bonnet pull adjustment is in maintenance guide under Trim, Cosmetics & Body , external section  :y :y
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 11:45:02 by Alnico Blue »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 June 2018, 16:47:10 »

Hi all,right got the bonnet open with the help of the wife.(i will adjust it later today). Expansion tank was not quite empty but below the level mark,and well below the top of the sensor.(So the sensor is not working but it was a few weeks back)I put in 1ltr of water to put it to the mark,and i have ordered some dye.Tonight i will take it for a run and get it up to temp,maybe in the dark with a torch i will be able to see where the smoke/steam is coming from.Dean.(BTW No oil in the water in the expansion tank,and no water in the oil on the dip stick)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 June 2018, 17:00:59 »

I hope that you got the dye for a sensible price, Dean. Do you have a UV torch, because an ordinary torch won't make the dye glow?
They are not cheap, either, but I could lend you mine if all else fails, using our wonderful posyal system.

Ron.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 June 2018, 17:28:29 »

Don't run it for too long on a weaker than 50:50 antifreeze mix (couple of days max), due to the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze.

I suspect you have a hairline crack in the black plastics either side of rad, usually the hot side.

Dye not needed, as you can trace the steam ;)
Grumpy old man

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 June 2018, 17:35:10 »

Don't run it for too long on a weaker than 50:50 antifreeze mix (couple of days max), due to the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze.

I suspect you have a hairline crack in the black plastics either side of rad, usually the hot side.

Seconded here  . . on both highlighted points  .   Mine was a hairline crack in the black plastic ::)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 June 2018, 18:03:44 »

Hi TB,hope your well.Right i have adjusted the bonnet cable,but i have another problem.The little clip that the bolt screws in to has had it,it tightens up but then springs back out.Its holding the cable at the moment but can you buy a new clip from some where.TB when Serek did the service in Feb i am sure he would have put in 50:50 mix,since then i have put in.Approx 1ltr of pink coolant when i got back from Sereks and about 2ltrs of water.Do you think it would make it to Sereks,i wont bother with the dye then just look for steam later tonight.Thanks for all the helpfull advice its much appreciated.Dean. :y BTW( i have not used the car very much since Serek did all the work)
« Last Edit: 18 June 2018, 18:12:32 by moggy »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 June 2018, 18:08:42 »

Just to let people know,dye £3.12+vat and light £7.47+vat from demon tweeks.Dean.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 June 2018, 18:17:06 »

Hi TB,hope your well.Right i have adjusted the bonnet cable,but i have another problem.The little clip that the bolt screws in to has had it,it tightens up but then springs back out.Its holding the cable at the moment but can you buy a new clip from some where.TB when Serek did the service in Feb i am sure he would have put in 50:50 mix,since then i have put in.Approx 1ltr of pink coolant when i got back from Sereks and about 2ltrs of water.Do you think it would make it to Sereks,i wont bother with the dye then just look for steam later tonight.Thanks for all the helpfull advice its much appreciated.Dean. :y BTW( i have not used the car very much since Serek did all the work)
Sounds like you have trashed the hole where the clamping bolt goes into the body.

Yes, carry plenty of water, it will make it to Sereks I would imagine, unless you are losing no end of coolant.

If you have put in (effectively) a 1:2 mix, that's too weak.
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 June 2018, 18:22:19 »

Without going out in the cold to look (still got man flu), I think the clip is a standard "Spire" clip, available on ebay for pennies?
Example: Item Number 192318095864

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 June 2018, 18:53:42 »

Sounds like you have trashed the hole where the clamping bolt goes into the body.

Yes, carry plenty of water, it will make it to Sereks I would imagine, unless you are losing no end of coolant.

If you have put in (effectively) a 1:2 mix, that's too weak.
TB,i have 4lts(bottles) of pink coolant in the car,what if i drain out 2lts of whats in now and top up with 2lts of coolant.Would that help as i need to use the car a few time this week.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 June 2018, 18:56:43 »

Without going out in the cold to look (still got man flu), I think the clip is a standard "Spire" clip, available on ebay for pennies?

Ron.
Thanks mate,i will take a look.Dean.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 June 2018, 19:05:46 »

No need to remove any - if its leaking much, just make sure you top up the next 1l with neat antifreeze.

If it is a hairline crack on rad, its going to get progressively worse, so you realy do need to locate the fault, then decide on a course of action, rather than just leave it and top up.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 June 2018, 19:12:52 »

You can get a new radiator for around £45-50, but if a garage is doing the work expect them to want to supply it. Which means it will probably be north of £200 by the time it's fitted :(
Onanists always think outside the box.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 18 June 2018, 19:28:29 »

No need to remove any - if its leaking much, just make sure you top up the next 1l with neat antifreeze.

If it is a hairline crack on rad, its going to get progressively worse, so you realy do need to locate the fault, then decide on a course of action, rather than just leave it and top up.
OK TB,i will do that and i will try to locate it tonight.And if its a new rad then so be it.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 18 June 2018, 19:31:18 »

You can get a new radiator for around £45-50, but if a garage is doing the work expect them to want to supply it. Which means it will probably be north of £200 by the time it's fitted :(
Hi DG hope your well,if its rad i was hoping Serek can supply and fit,but £200 wow.Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 18 June 2018, 19:38:48 »

Ron.
Hi Bigron,you are correct available on ebay.I would like to buy the clip and the bolt/screw, but i don't have a clue what size to order.Does anyone know the size please.Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18 June 2018, 20:21:18 »

The link I gave you was for a box of various sizes, for 99p post free!
I am going to buy some for my "just in case" box.  :y

Ron.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18 June 2018, 20:30:45 »

Oh dear, I should read things properly - the 99p price was for ONE clip!
So sorry, Dean.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18 June 2018, 20:56:25 »

Oh dear, I should read things properly - the 99p price was for ONE clip!
So sorry, Dean.  :-[ :-[ :-[

Ron.
No probs mate,i think if i had to use a 8mm socket the bolt and clip might be M4 thread.Dean :-\

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 18 June 2018, 21:42:48 »

Hi DG hope your well,if its rad i was hoping Serek can supply and fit,but £200 wow.Dean.
I sure he would be happy to :y

I was just bracing you for the reality of it.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 18 June 2018, 22:59:46 »

Last October I bought this from United Autoparts Distribution:-
 VAUXHALL OMEGA 2.5 2.6 3.0 3.2 1994-2003 AUTO/ MANUAL RADIATOR.
It was a perfect fit and cost £56.90 delivered.
You might consider buying one and asking Serek to fit it - unless he can offer a better price for the radiator?

Ron.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 18 June 2018, 23:39:51 »

Hi all,a quick update.Took the car out tonight 20 mile run came back home,and parked up.With the engine running no smoke or steam and no coolant dripping on the floor.However with the engine off coolant is dripping from around the rad drain plug area,on the right(can't see exactly where from). But it dripping through a hole in the middle of what looks like some kind of chassis plate,below and to the right of the drain plug.As i say i can't pinpoint exactly where the leak is,but at least i have found the area.Anyone have any ideas where it might becoming from,also why is it not leaking when running but leaking when off. :-\ :(. Dean.

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19 June 2018, 00:40:33 »

Hi,as i could not modify my earlier post,just to add the drain plug is done up tight i checked.Dean.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19 June 2018, 04:49:07 »

The radiator drain plug does have a rubber washer that can perish, but that doesn't answer why no leak when the engine is running.  ???

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 19 June 2018, 07:48:01 »

The chassis plate you refer to will be I imagine the engine undertray[from memory 4 bolts hold that on]My V70 had a similar leak as in it would leak for a short time after being turned off but only long enough to leave a small damp patch on the floor.Oddly enough although there's more stuff to remove/disconnect to change the Omega radiator it was a lot faster to change that[again from memory about two and a half hours]than the V70s that I did last Sunday that took me 7hrs :o

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 19 June 2018, 09:17:35 »

Hi all,a quick update.Took the car out tonight 20 mile run came back home,and parked up.With the engine running no smoke or steam and no coolant dripping on the floor.However with the engine off coolant is dripping from around the rad drain plug area,on the right(can't see exactly where from). But it dripping through a hole in the middle of what looks like some kind of chassis plate,below and to the right of the drain plug.As i say i can't pinpoint exactly where the leak is,but at least i have found the area.Anyone have any ideas where it might becoming from,also why is it not leaking when running but leaking when off. :-\ :(. Dean.

almost certain that it will be a hairline crack somewhere on the passenger side of the rad. This is very similar to how mine was leaking . Could not see the actual leak ( small very fine hairline crack about 25mm long) until rad was removed.

IMO   when you stop running  the engine after it has reached full running temp ,there will be a heat build up as water pump is not circulating coolant & therefore an increase in pressure in the system  occurs .

There is I believe an "over run" of the fan/s  & possibly aux pump to counter act this, but the only time I visibly saw any steam rising  on my leaking rad , was in this situation a few minutes after engine shut down & on a VERY cold day

After your 20 mile run  . . .had the header tank level dropped at all?
« Last Edit: 19 June 2018, 09:21:37 by Alnico Blue »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 19 June 2018, 09:21:21 »

The radiator drain plug does have a rubber washer that can perish, but that doesn't answer why no leak when the engine is running.  ???

Ron.
No, they have a dowty washer and two inner seals :y

The washer corrodes over time. Also the plug can become brittle and snap off, causing a permanent leak...

Drain plugs were available new... If it's a red plug ask VX. But you'll need to pull the radiator to remove the old one if it snaps. At which point you would be daft not to fit a new radiator  ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 June 2018, 10:34:10 »

That's to say the genuine radiators/drain plugs...

Aftermarket are slightly different and tend to have a rubber o ring rather than a washer :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 June 2018, 13:36:49 »

Hi all,so it looks like a trip to sereks just hope i make it.I am still a bit confused as to why it leaks when turned off,and no leak when running.Dean. :-\ :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 June 2018, 14:07:02 »

Because the water is circulating rather than backed up behind the water pump and thermostat  :y

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 June 2018, 14:11:57 »

Because the water is circulating rather than backed up behind the water pump and thermostat  :y
Hi DG,so while it is running i am not loosing any coolant so should be good to use the car.So long as i keep checking the coolant level,is that right mate.Dean.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 June 2018, 14:17:29 »

Hi all,so it looks like a trip to sereks just hope i make it.I am still a bit confused as to why it leaks when turned off,and no leak when running.Dean. :-\ :(

If it is a small leak then it might simply be "blown away" by airflow from either/both of forward movement or fans. Once stopped the fluid "collects" and becomes visible, especially as, already said, the pressure in the system is higher a short time after switching off than it is when running.

One method of finding small leaks that can work is coloured food dye - bright yellow - added to the water.. makes it far easier to see, and dries to leave a stain that can be traced, another is to use blue "kimwipe" type paper cloth, this gets much darker when wet than when dry, and it stays like that for a little while...... so wrap it around suspect areas, secure with tape, go for a drive and then look for the colour change, might help you pinpoint the leak ??

I've used both methods with success in the past.

:)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 19 June 2018, 15:20:45 »

Halfords do an assorted O ring pack, it contains the right sized for the drain plug, had it most of mine and is a 2 minute fix if you can catch the coolant all the better
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 19 June 2018, 16:37:54 »

Hi all,just been out to the car small 6 inch damp patch under where the leak is.A small drop in coolant in the expansion tank, until serek fits a new rad i will just have to monitor it.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 19 June 2018, 17:38:45 »

Hi all,just been out to the car small 6 inch damp patch under where the leak is.A small drop in coolant in the expansion tank, until serek fits a new rad i will just have to monitor it.Dean.

Dean  . . .IMO   its ok to use your car ( until you can get it to Serek) as it is only losing a small amount of coolant. You need to check coolant level after each trip & top up with 50/50 mix.
I ran mine for several months before I got around to fitting a new rad. :-X

My temp gauge read normal all the time  while using it like that, & I think an overheating issue will only start to occur one the the header tank is completley empty & coolant is being lost from the remainder of the system .

What would assist you up to then is that if you could get the "Low Coolant Warning" working again.  ;)

As this will tell you when the header tank is down to about half full.   HTH   ;)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 19 June 2018, 19:34:31 »

Unfortunately, IIRC that involves a new header tank and sensor. :(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 19 June 2018, 19:50:16 »

Yup...

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 19 June 2018, 19:59:55 »

£40 and ten minutes. Quick, cheap and easy.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 20 June 2018, 17:38:14 »

£40 and ten minutes. Quick, cheap and easy.
Christ, when did they go up that much? Last one I bought was £25, and delivered on a nice van from my not-so-local dealer.  But that was a couple of years back.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.