Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ¿Changing coil location?  (Read 945 times)

meridiansi

• Madrid - Spain
    • View Profile
¿Changing coil location?
« on: 15 January 2010, 20:56:09 »

Hi everybody from Spain. 8-)

It seems to be my new coil time as my meggy has begun to misfire 1 cilynder.

I think can remember a photo of a X25XE whose coil had been relocated in order not to loose the hands trying to replace it.

Do any of you know were can i found that photos? as I'm looking for them with (obviously) no success  :'(

Thank you very much in advance,
Raúl.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: ¿Changing coil location?
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2010, 21:37:57 »

Cant see the benefit......and if its 1 cylinder down it wont be the coil

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2010, 21:51:57 »

considering how often they fail, at worst every 100k? Its not worth the effort, scuttle off, its not too bad  :y

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2010, 04:29:30 »

Tunnie and Marks DTM Calib are on the button! Had mine off last week to gain some access to something further down in the bad weather and it was fairly easy with the Scuttle and Plenum removed. I lost no skin at all! Gave me a chance to get the whole area down there cleaned up too!
Problem is if there is only one misfiring it is not likely to be the coil. More likely it is a single plug lead or the plug itself. Might even be an idicator of something else going amiss. Have you checked to see if the plug reccesses are clean and clear, if not the plug can short out. Oil or water in the reccess is not an unknown problem. It is worth keeping the HT side of the circuit clean and dry anyway.
One good point is that the torque settings for re-assembly of any component should be kept to. I have seen loads of repairs where a torque wrench was not used and the tightening done until it was 'tight'. For the sake of a small single 15 quid payment for a torque wrench to do the job right.
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 January 2010, 09:25:11 »

Hi everybody from Spain. 8-)

It seems to be my new coil time as my meggy has begun to misfire 1 cilynder.

I think can remember a photo of a X25XE whose coil had been relocated in order not to loose the hands trying to replace it.

Do any of you know were can i found that photos? as I'm looking for them with (obviously) no success  :'(

Thank you very much in advance,
Raúl.

I posted some pics on here that i stole from VXON - can't find them now though.
I think you need a set of Cavalier/Calibra/Vectra plug leads as they're a bit longer, allowing you to find another location for the dispack (coil).
I agree, it's in a stupid location for a few reasons, but I'm not going to argue the merits of doing this with those that prefer to leave it where it is.
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 January 2010, 10:01:11 »

...... think you need a set of Cavalier/Calibra/Vectra plug leads as they're a bit longer, allowing you to find another location for the dispack (coil). .....

Don't forget there's a 'low tension' connection too! You'd have to extentend the cabling to the plug aswel.  ;)

meridiansi

• Madrid - Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 January 2010, 10:52:16 »

Thank you very much for your answers and suggestions,

Cant see the benefit......and if its 1 cylinder down it wont be the coil

considering how often they fail, at worst every 100k? Its not worth the effort, scuttle off, its not too bad  :y

Tunnie and Marks DTM Calib are on the button! Had mine off last week to gain some access to something further down in the bad weather and it was fairly easy with the Scuttle and Plenum removed. I lost no skin at all! Gave me a chance to get the whole area down there cleaned up too!
Problem is if there is only one misfiring it is not likely to be the coil. More likely it is a single plug lead or the plug itself. Might even be an idicator of something else going amiss. Have you checked to see if the plug reccesses are clean and clear, if not the plug can short out. Oil or water in the reccess is not an unknown problem. It is worth keeping the HT side of the circuit clean and dry anyway.
One good point is that the torque settings for re-assembly of any component should be kept to. I have seen loads of repairs where a torque wrench was not used and the tightening done until it was 'tight'. For the sake of a small single 15 quid payment for a torque wrench to do the job right.
GudLuk

The coil has been diagnosed as broken by a mechanic, it has cyl #1 wo spark (with new wires) Thanks.

This operation has probably no benefit but it would be easier to leave old coil where it is, not only to avoid remove and refit screws but for reconnecting wires ...

I think you need a set of Cavalier/Calibra/Vectra plug leads as they're a bit longer, allowing you to find another location for the dispack (coil).
I agree, it's in a stupid location for a few reasons, but I'm not going to argue the merits of doing this with those that prefer to leave it where it is.

Those are the pictures I was looking for, Pedro, about the leads length I got them from Ebay and are in deed quite longer than originals.

I suppose the coil is where it is for some reason I can´t understand but, what I know, is that is really hard to verify or replace any part related with it, and that change would make it a bit easier  :)

Thank for the Low tension advice pedro, hadn't taken in account I supossed It would be long enough.

Best regards and thank you again for the replays,
Raúl.

meridiansi

• Madrid - Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2010, 12:11:40 »

Hi Pedro,
finally found your thread.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1256388576/0
Thanks again,
Raúl.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2010, 12:17:39 »

The coil has been diagnosed as broken by a mechanic, it has cyl #1 wo spark (with new wires) Thanks.

The coil pack is made up of 3 coils inside, each coil supplying the spark for 2 cylilinders. If it was just the coil pack at fault, you'd have a miss fire on 2 cylinders not just one!  ;)

meridiansi

• Madrid - Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2010, 13:07:45 »

ups, shall I suposse from this a bad connection ?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2010, 13:31:34 »

ups, shall I suposse from this a bad connection ?

Could be.  A faulty HT lead? Faulty plug?  :-/

meridiansi

• Madrid - Spain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 January 2010, 22:47:35 »

Thanks Andy,

will have a look, but I had ordered the new coil pack. :'( :'( :'( It should arrive this week.

The leads are nearly new, have been changed for a missfire 2 months ago, it solved it, the car has been running fine since first days of Jan.   :-?

Don't believe in casualtys, but all it has happened at same time that a hedgehog (resistor pack) fail that makes the blowing fan unstoppable ... and I'm removing and refitting the fuse to avoid flushing the battery.

May be it's time to change the car, not parts  of it ... :'( :'(

Thanks again for your help.
BR,
Raúl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 22 queries.