Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Cruise control on my Vectra does not work  (Read 14372 times)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
Re: Cruise control on my Vectra does not work
« Reply #30 on: 07 July 2019, 20:06:09 »

The only reference I have found so far in Haynes of cruise control and the clutch switch is the instruction in Clutch 6.5, 18 where it tells me 'where fitted, to refit the clutch switch to the pedal bracket'.

I wonder where else he covers it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 07 July 2019, 20:24:08 »

Red collar should pull down. You should then be able to press in the grey tabs and release the switch straight up :y

Switch should be cheap enough from VX...
In the photograph the clutch pedal is depressed. With pedal at rest the switch plunger touches the pedal.
I imagine all will become clear when I get the new switch.
That was the instructions for removing the switch. Pedal position is largely irrelevant, although wedging the pedal down might make life a bit easier :)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 07 July 2019, 23:24:50 »

I've yet to drive a car with adaptive cruise ....

The milk float has it and for UK commuting, I love it. On motorways I now set it to either 75, or whatever the smart motorway speed limit is +3 mph. It then keeps me a sensible distance from the car Infront at all times and ensures I don't get pinged for speeding.

It's pretty smart on the golf too, if I go to overtake it will start building the speed immediately I indicate, so it's up to the speed of the next lane by the time I  pull out. It also won't undertake unless I dab the throttle to tell it that it can.   :y

It also will do stop start traffic for you and will slow you depending on steering angle, so you don't get catapulted off at the first bend.

It's probably second only to air con now on My list of "features a commuter car should have".

aaronjb

« Reply #34 on: 08 July 2019, 08:52:10 »

Yep - loved that on the Skoda in stop-start traffic.. stop behind the traffic automagically, tap the button when they start moving again.

The RRS, on the other hand, makes a big deal in the manual that the adaptive cruise will not come to a complete stop if the traffic in front of you stops .. it just beeps at you ;D ;D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 08 July 2019, 10:01:08 »

Yep - loved that on the Skoda in stop-start traffic.. stop behind the traffic automagically, tap the button when they start moving again.

The RRS, on the other hand, makes a big deal in the manual that the adaptive cruise will not come to a complete stop if the traffic in front of you stops .. it just expects everyone to get out of the way! ;D ;D

FTFY Aaron!  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 08 July 2019, 15:24:12 »

On the Veccy C's its normally the Stalk switch that starts to become intermittant, normly a quick wringle or hard button pushes can give a temp but limted fix.

Another on these Cars is once the Cruise detects an issues, (Main ECU) it wont work again untill you do an Ing. Restart, assumi,g the stalked wringle did its job.
Thanks for suggestion. I have rocked the stalk switch vigorously, switched on ignition, no change. Worth a try though.
Yep, worth a try, remember the having to do a Ing. Restart, for the future though or if you do end up changing Clutch / Brake switch.

As far vas I can remeber both the Brake and the clutch switch at as a closed loop ie, short cct, for the Cruise to operate so you could probably bypass and the test again to confirm, check with a meter to confirm first though.  :y

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 July 2019, 17:26:45 »

You reckon that ifs
On the Veccy C's its normally the Stalk switch that starts to become intermittant, normly a quick wringle or hard button pushes can give a temp but limted fix.

Another on these Cars is once the Cruise detects an issues, (Main ECU) it wont work again untill you do an Ing. Restart, assumi,g the stalked wringle did its job.
Thanks for suggestion. I have rocked the stalk switch vigorously, switched on ignition, no change. Worth a try though.
Yep, worth a try, remember the having to do a Ing. Restart, for the future though or if you do end up changing Clutch / Brake switch.

As far vas I can remeber both the Brake and the clutch switch at as a closed loop ie, short cct, for the Cruise to operate so you could probably bypass and the test again to confirm, check with a meter to confirm first though.  :y
You reckon the cruise only operates when both clutch and brake switches are closed, i.e. brake and clutch not applied. So if I short out the possibly faulty clutch switch, the cruise ought to function normally. Interesting.
I cannot find any wiring diagram in Haynes for the cruise control, though it is fitted to all Vectras. Curiouser and curiouser.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 08 July 2019, 17:57:59 »

You reckon that ifs

You reckon the cruise only operates when both clutch and brake switches are closed, i.e. brake and clutch not applied. So if I short out the possibly faulty clutch switch, the cruise ought to function normally. Interesting.
I cannot find any wiring diagram in Haynes for the cruise control, though it is fitted to all Vectras. Curiouser and curiouser.

Just change the switch Terry,no need to over think it as you had a fault code for the clutch switch so cruise won't work till thats fixed anyway :y
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 08 July 2019, 18:53:14 »

I wonder where on e-bay I can get a box of Vectra miniature fuses with a fuse rmoval tool.
Why ebay?  I most definitely would not buy a fuse from egay, or an unbranded one.

They are a bog standard mini blade type. Every single factor in the whole world will stock them.  FFS, tell me what values you need, and I'll post you some.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 08 July 2019, 19:13:59 »

You reckon that ifs

Just change the switch Terry,no need to over think it as you had a fault code for the clutch switch so cruise won't work till thats fixed anyway :y
Come to think of it,I don't find ABS system wiring in Haynes either. The suggestion was that I could check whether the fault was the clutch switch by shorting it out. To do so I would need to know which wires to connect. I have odered a new clutch switch, so I shall change that next.
My sister recently bought a 2010 Corsa. On the Corsa she cannot start the engine until she depresses the clutch pedal - same switch presumably. At least I can still drive my car.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 08 July 2019, 21:26:57 »

I wonder where on e-bay I can get a box of Vectra miniature fuses with a fuse rmoval tool.
Why ebay?  I most definitely would not buy a fuse from egay, or an unbranded one.

They are a bog standard mini blade type. Every single factor in the whole world will stock them.  FFS, tell me what values you need, and I'll post you some.
I was suprised they were missing, along with the extraction tool. Never happened before on used Omegas. It was mainly the tool I was looking for.  I'll check the dead Astra in the morning.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 08 July 2019, 22:23:12 »

I was suprised they were missing, along with the extraction tool. Never happened before on used Omegas. It was mainly the tool I was looking for.  I'll check the dead Astra in the morning.

Surely you have some small pliers, or even some sturdy tweezers? And as TB said, any supplier will have any size of the modern blade fuses in any quantity you want from 1 to 100s for pennies over the counter. Or a selection pack of mixed values, which is probably the best approach.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 08 July 2019, 22:30:40 »

Surely you have some small pliers, or even some sturdy tweezers? And as TB said, any supplier will have any size of the modern blade fuses in any quantity you want from 1 to 100s for pennies over the counter. Or a selection pack of mixed values, which is probably the best approach.
Yes, I managed with a pair of lomg slim pliers, to remove and examine all the fuses in the A pillar fuse box - all OK. I was dismayed to discover that the tool and spare fuses were all missing from the cover, a situation I wished to rectify. I shall check my donor Astra tomorrow.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09 July 2019, 01:41:41 »

Terry, the car has given you a code for the clutch switch. Replace it with a new one from Vauxhall and report back.
Apologies for shouting, but it really isn't difficult.  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 22 queries.