Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Temp gauge/fans  (Read 1808 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Temp gauge/fans
« on: 06 October 2018, 18:04:03 »

Having fitted a new radiator plus thermoswitches and a new oil cooler it was evident something else was wrong as the temp gauge would climb to an indicated 90 at which point the fans[all 3]would kick in and drop the indicated temp to about 75 before shutting off when the cycle would repeat.So to this end I've fitted a new thermostat,coolant temperature sensor and temperature sender.Just been to bleed cooling system[I'd run out of anti-freeze and the battery was flat before]Gauge now climbs to an indicated 95 at which point the fans[again all 3] kick in and lower the indicated temperature to about 92/3 where the gauge holds steady and resolutely refuses to go any lower and the fans won't shut down-this is the same with expansion tank cap on or off.Top hose gets hot bottom hose stays cool,the pipe that runs across the radiator[from just above where the gearbox oil cooler pipes fit]gets hot.The pipe that runs to the front of the expansion tank gets hot and the smaller pipe from expansion tank to throttle body[?] stays cool.Heater blows hot[heater set on ECO,fan on slowest speed and temperature set to high]This is all with the parked and ticking over in the garage so could change when there's airflow through the radiator from it being driven.Basically it's just the fans not cooling things enough to shut off that's worrying me.Turn the engine off and the fans continue to run for a few seconds still cooling things before turning themselves off.Apologies for lengthy post,but what's the collective wisdom?Ok to run as is or have I done something wrong when changing the thermostat/temp sender/cts?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Temp gauge/fans
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2018, 18:40:50 »

So what are you worried about?

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2018, 20:15:33 »

Probably nothing in all fairness but I know what this car is like for going wrong.It was just that the fans wouldn't cool it enough to be able to shut down until after the engine had been stopped,I'd have thought they'd cool it enough to turn off with the engine running-unless like I said it's because the car was stood still and therefore no through flow of air from its forward movement.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2018, 20:22:14 »

my fans run for 15 seconds or so after i switch off the ignition after a run (car up to temperature)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2018, 20:31:19 »

That's what mine did,so it sounds like I'm worrying unduly and it's not because I've done something wrong 8)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 October 2018, 21:10:00 »

Having fitted a new radiator plus thermoswitches and a new oil cooler it was evident something else was wrong as the temp gauge would climb to an indicated 90 at which point the fans[all 3]would kick in and drop the indicated temp to about 75 before shutting off when the cycle would repeat.So to this end I've fitted a new thermostat,coolant temperature sensor and temperature sender.Just been to bleed cooling system[I'd run out of anti-freeze and the battery was flat before]Gauge now climbs to an indicated 95 at which point the fans[again all 3] kick in and lower the indicated temperature to about 92/3 where the gauge holds steady and resolutely refuses to go any lower and the fans won't shut down-this is the same with expansion tank cap on or off.Top hose gets hot bottom hose stays cool,the pipe that runs across the radiator[from just above where the gearbox oil cooler pipes fit]gets hot.The pipe that runs to the front of the expansion tank gets hot and the smaller pipe from expansion tank to throttle body[?] stays cool.Heater blows hot[heater set on ECO,fan on slowest speed and temperature set to high]This is all with the parked and ticking over in the garage so could change when there's airflow through the radiator from it being driven.Basically it's just the fans not cooling things enough to shut off that's worrying me.Turn the engine off and the fans continue to run for a few seconds still cooling things before turning themselves off.Apologies for lengthy post,but what's the collective wisdom?Ok to run as is or have I done something wrong when changing the thermostat/temp sender/cts?
On my 2.5 the fans cut in at 97 and cut out again at 90. If temperature does not fall to 90 with all fans running, could the condenser matrix be clogged, inhibiting air flow through the new radiator?
.I am surprised that your fans run till temp drops to 75, isn't that near bottom of the temp gauge scale? Could be a dodgy new thermoswitch, though I have never known one fail.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 October 2018, 21:19:21 »

Possibly a sticky controller relay :-\

Could also be a duff thermoswitch, but if new unlikely... But not impossible...
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2018, 09:33:56 »

Complicated, isn't it? You're changing several items each time.
The temperature gauge sender and the ECU temp sender are on the coolant bridge, and you changed those. along with the thermostat, in your second repair. There are 2 radiator thermosensors, I presume the larger round one controls the fans. I wonder what the other sensor does? The new thermostat might explain why the temperature now remains over 90, but strange the fans do not cut out.

Possibly Tech2 live data could help.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2018, 14:36:41 »

Been today to check coolant level which was fine[left it while today so it was plenty cold enough after bleeding the system yesterday]also did the fan test which proved ok.Things changed again slightly today as after level check/fan test I started it and let it run on tickover this time temp got to 95 and fans fired up but then the gauge wouldn't drop lower than about 94 but held steady at that.turned ignition off and the fans ran a few seconds after that and then shut down turning the ignition back on straight after the fans stopped[but not starting the ignition gave a gauge reading bang on 90.
Unfortunately I don't know of anyone within a shout of here with a TechII and I certainly wouldn't know how to use such a thing[or similar] to do it myself even if I had one.
Think I'll run it about locally for a while and see what's what,as long as it doesn't overheat then I'll probably learn to put up with it doing what it is.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2018, 14:39:22 »

That sounds like all is in order :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2018, 14:51:36 »

Thanks DG that's re-assuring to know :y

Conradh

• Crewe
    • 1998 Omega elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 October 2018, 21:29:14 »

I was going to put a similar post on here as my 2.5 does a similar thing. I usually only run it in the summer months and there’s so much heat that comes off it.  When you get out you feel the heat from under the car.  I put it down to the air con.  That’s said now the outside temp has dropped it still seemed to me to be running hot with the fan on all the time and when you turn it off they continue to run for a while.  It’s never overheated so far even in the 30 odd degrees we had this summer.  It usually runs at the 95-97 mark.  Sounds like the fan running after turning it off is normal?

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2018, 22:28:14 »

None of those symptoms are a problem.
Quit worrying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.