Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: White smoke.  (Read 8476 times)

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • vauxhall omega 3.0 elite
    • View Profile
White smoke.
« on: 16 June 2018, 01:50:13 »

Hi all,as above white smoke coming from the engine bay/grill when up to temp.Is this a sign of a coolant leak,TIA Dean. :y

Chazza12

• Intermediate Member
  • south yorkshire
    • 1996 2.0 16v CD estate
    • View Profile
Re: White smoke.
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2018, 06:12:53 »

Not necessarily it could be stored damp from over night or rain water.  If you notice the water level and water pressure has changed then it can be a pin hole leak but if up to temp turn off engine and you should hear it hissing.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 June 2018, 08:51:11 »

Remove the 3 piece plastic rad cover and have a look at the rad when it's running at full temp, not unknown to have hairline crack in the black  plastic bits of the rad
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 June 2018, 10:18:58 »

Hi all a bit more info.Car was stood for two weeks,then did 40 miles and then stood for another week.Went to asda last night parked up back at home then noticed the smoke,only because it was dark.Left the car running and smelt the smoke/steam,its not burning oil smell its some thing else.Checked the exhaust no white smoke that i could see,just smells of exhaust gasses.The smoke was just wafting up not being blown,so the fan was not on.Temp is perfect 90/92 so not over heating,i could not open the bonnet as the cable is stretched.And i need someone to push down on the bonnet,to release it.I am going to have a look at the expansion bottle to see what the level is,but normally the display tells me low coolant.If Feb i had a full service done by Serek everything was good until now,hope its not a big problem Dean. :-\ :(.  BTW Serek changed the HBV when he did the service.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 10:20:45 by moggy »

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 June 2018, 10:23:32 »

Not necessarily it could be stored damp from over night or rain water.  If you notice the water level and water pressure has changed then it can be a pin hole leak but if up to temp turn off engine and you should hear it hissing.
Hi Chazza,did not hear any hissing when i switched off.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 June 2018, 11:22:39 »

As you say smoke/steam is coming from front grille area, my money is on a small crack / pin hole  in the rad plastic casing .  I had a very small coolant leak & smell of coolant when hot ,for ages  but just could not locate it as no visible trace or drips. . 

Eventually on a very cold day with the car at full running temp there was a small column of steam rising from the n/s front of the rad . Still could not see where it was coming from until rad was removed .

Once you are able to open your bonnet & then remove the black rad cover/s , if you can see steam from the grille with the bonnet shut , you should be able to see where it is coming from.

visible steam at this time of year ( warm)  could mean it is a fair leak .. Your header tank level will give an idea. But don't forget that small coolant leaks quite often only happen under pressure when hot & evaporate before being able to leave a drip on the ground etc. 

New rad is about £45   & fairly simple to do  . .all be it fiddly   ;)

HTH  :y
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 11:27:55 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 June 2018, 11:29:57 »

As you say smoke/steam is coming from front grille area, my money is on a small crack / pin hole  in the rad plastic casing .  I had a very small coolant leak & smell of coolant when hot ,for ages  but just could not locate it as no visible trace or drips. . 

Eventually on a very cold day with the car at full running temp there was a small column of steam rising from the n/s front of the rad . Still could not see where it was coming from until rad was removed .

Once you are able to open your bonnet & then remove the black rad cover/s , if you can see steam from the grille with the bonnet shut , you should be able to see where it is coming from.

visible steam at this time of year ( warm)  could mean it is a fair leak .. Your header tank level will give an idea. But don't forget that small coolant leaks quite often only happen under pressure when hot & evaporate before being able to leave a drip on the ground etc. 

HTH  :y
Hi mate,it was not very warm last night.And i could only see it with the headlights on,could not see any smoke with them off.Dean.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 June 2018, 11:54:57 »

hi Dean

my point was that I could not see anything  until a very cold day & even then it was a few minutes after the engine had been shut off.

Once you get bonnet open  . . . first check the header tank, if it is empty or lower than usual then it points to a coolant issue. Re fill header tank & then  run the car up to temp . . then see if anything is visible    . . . that would be my next move   :y
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 11:58:10 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 June 2018, 12:37:52 »

Is the coolant level dropping?
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 June 2018, 20:31:09 »

Is the coolant level dropping?
So far he can,t tell because he can,t open bonnet.  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 June 2018, 13:17:59 »

Hi all a bit more info.Car was stood for two weeks,then did 40 miles and then stood for another week.Went to asda last night parked up back at home then noticed the smoke,only because it was dark.Left the car running and smelt the smoke/steam,its not burning oil smell its some thing else.Checked the exhaust no white smoke that i could see,just smells of exhaust gasses.The smoke was just wafting up not being blown,so the fan was not on.Temp is perfect 90/92 so not over heating,i could not open the bonnet as the cable is stretched.And i need someone to push down on the bonnet,to release it.I am going to have a look at the expansion bottle to see what the level is,but normally the display tells me low coolant.If Feb i had a full service done by Serek everything was good until now,hope its not a big problem Dean. :-\ :(.  BTW Serek changed the HBV when he did the service.
Tie the Bonnet Pull Lever to the Steering Wheel, Mains Cable is good for this, then your free to work on the Bonnet.  ;)

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 June 2018, 07:31:35 »

Can't stand the tension anymore  . . .is THAT bonnet open yet ?    ;D ;D ;D ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 June 2018, 07:48:10 »

When my radiator went it had a very small hole/crack right in the top face of the plastic side tank on passenger side and was firing a very fine spray straight at the underside of the plastic rad cover so I only caught sight of the leak by chance.

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 June 2018, 08:15:39 »

When my radiator went it had a very small hole/crack right in the top face of the plastic side tank on passenger side and was firing a very fine spray straight at the underside of the plastic rad cover so I only caught sight of the leak by chance.

Yer Baza . . .but WAS  your bonnet open !   :-\    Come on Dean  suspense is getting too much now !  ;D ;D ;D ;D     

moggy

• Omega Knight
  • hartlepool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 June 2018, 08:54:02 »

Hi all,hope your well.Right so to put Alnico Blue out of his misery ;D and sort the problem.As its a nice day with the help of my wife i am going to get the bonnet open.First i will check the level in the expansion tank,and top up if necessary then i am going to put some dye in.Just a couple of questions,can i get the dye from a local factors.Also how much do you put in and can you leave it in,would i be able to see the dye in the daylight.As i was going to wait until it was dark, and use my torch to see if i can see if i can see where the smoke/steam is coming from.Also would you guys use the car with this problem,as i need to get about.I may even need to get to serek,but i am not sure it will make it.Any advice welcome :-[ :( :-\.Thank's Dean.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.