Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutting and programming a new key  (Read 1374 times)

Scorcha

• Essex
    • Omega Elite 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
Cutting and programming a new key
« on: 04 August 2014, 22:50:34 »

Hi there
Still finding my feet as I'm still new to this so here goes,
I've recently purchased a 2.6 elite saloon but the only paperwork I got with the car was the V5 and mot, no carpass. Is it possible to cut and program a new key without this? I've also only got 1 key for the car. Where does it stand with using 'used' keys? Can they be reprogrammed?

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting and programming a new key
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2014, 23:33:37 »

You really need the car pass because you need the immobiliser code to program the immobiliser to recognise another key. This security code is also required on all devices I've seen to be able to program the car to recognise the fob.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2014, 23:34:53 »

Hi there
Still finding my feet as I'm still new to this so here goes,
I've recently purchased a 2.6 elite saloon but the only paperwork I got with the car was the V5 and mot, no carpass. Is it possible to cut and program a new key without this? I've also only got 1 key for the car. Where does it stand with using 'used' keys? Can they be reprogrammed?

The Car Pass can be obtained from Vx, it seems that it can be from between about £25 & £50, depending on the dealer. The pass contains the security code needed by TechII (Vx's box of diagnostic electrickery) to code the key. Old fobs can be re-programmed  :y

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2014, 23:41:10 »

While the fobs aren't a problem to reprogram I've found the immobiliser isn't with the two applications I have access too. A genuine Tech II seems better with used chips  :'(

Scorcha

• Essex
    • Omega Elite 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2014, 23:58:28 »

While the fobs aren't a problem to reprogram I've found the immobiliser isn't with the two applications I have access too. A genuine Tech II seems better with used chips  :'(
Tech II I take it is the software used to do the programming. What's the difference between this and
"My Naff Code Reader"? I was thinking of getting this but not sure how useful it would be
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 00:15:18 by Scorcha »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2014, 06:36:02 »

Tech II I take it is the software used to do the programming. What's the difference between this and
"My Naff Code Reader"? I was thinking of getting this but not sure how useful it would be

..... by TechII (Vx's box of diagnostic electrickery) t......

::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 05 August 2014, 06:40:30 by Andy B »

chrisgixer

« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2014, 08:03:52 »

Code reading is best done via tech 2. Certain lap top based code readers who's name shall not be mentioned have a habit of screwing the ecu when it comes to programming.

Scorcha

• Essex
    • Omega Elite 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2014, 11:59:41 »

Code reading is best done via tech 2. Certain lap top based code readers who's name shall not be mentioned have a habit of screwing the ecu when it comes to programming.
I've seen lap top versions of tech 2 on eBay, are these any good or just the usual copied rubbish? I see mentioning a certain code reader is as good as swearing for which I apologise

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2014, 12:12:08 »

I've seen lap top versions of tech 2 on eBay, are these any good or just the usual copied rubbish? I see mentioning a certain code reader is as good as swearing for which I apologise

Sorry, I used code reading in the wrong context. Programming is to be avoided. Stay away from pairing head units and head unit security codes or key codes for transponders. Etc. Avoid Aaaaall that.

However diagnostic fault codes for engine and gearbox ecu's etc are fine as far as I'm aware. No problem there. Although accessible functions available seems to vary over the model years.

So stay away from programming basically, or risk a fritzed ecu.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.