Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheels In Motion  (Read 2776 times)

05omegav6

Re: Wheels In Motion
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2013, 21:46:53 »

It is a development process  ::) we're only at the mkII prototype stage with this particular bush.

Driving gently/smoothly and not braking and turning at the same time seems to be limiting tyre scrub :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2013, 21:56:50 »

It is a development process  ::) we're only at the mkII prototype stage with this particular bush.

Driving gently/smoothly and not braking and turning at the same time seems to be limiting tyre scrub :-\
This the black Cossie ones?

I spend a lot of time braking and turning at the same time...
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2013, 22:33:34 »

Yellow ones too soft, black ones next step. If they no worky then back to GM ::)

I also normally do my braking as I turn ::) has slowed me down a bit ;D

VauxVera

• Slough
    • Omega 2002 2.2 CD Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 March 2013, 11:47:37 »

Went to WIM on Friday, had full geometric set up, car worse! Pulling to the left more and steering wheel shuddering. Went back, they had a look and made another adjustment, then changed back wheels to front wheels, seems better. Not sure how long tyres will last though!  :-[

05omegav6

« Reply #19 on: 24 March 2013, 18:07:09 »

Went to WIM on Friday, had full geometric set up, car worse! Pulling to the left more and steering wheel shuddering. Went back, they had a look and made another adjustment, then changed back wheels to front wheels, seems better. Not sure how long tyres will last though!  :-[

My issue is most definitely bush related, as I suspect is yours :y

If all four wheels are set square then it should drive true on a level surface. If it doesn't, then there's a faulty component somewhere  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 03 April 2013, 18:56:33 »

Been back today to have the car reset.

All good, Tony himself worked his magic and the car is now behaving 8)

As far as front wishbone vertical bushes go, there isn't much more to be done :-\

Current set up consists of Powerflex front polys, and a hybrid of Sierra TCA Road and Track bushes.

The body of the bush is the track poly, the 'spacer/locating' pads are the road poly.

Front end is planted, if a touch firm, and laterally located quite securely. No squeaks or knocks as yet...

BUT

Whilst the car behaves as expected under reasonably spirited driving, standing on the brakes PRE ALIGNMENT, and wheel not held, from motorway speeds did cause the car to weave, alot.

Have yet to try a full on emergency stop from speed since the alignment was done, so shall clarify that detail shortly...

Progress, but not a complete solution  :-\

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03 April 2013, 19:59:07 »

Whilst the car behaves as expected under reasonably spirited driving, standing on the brakes PRE ALIGNMENT, and wheel not held, from motorway speeds did cause the car to weave, alot.

Have yet to try a full on emergency stop from speed since the alignment was done, so shall clarify that detail shortly...

Progress, but not a complete solution  :-\
IME this will get worse (made worse in my case by those awful tyres). Also, keep an eye out for a sensation that the outside wheel is folding in under itself at slow speed, significant lock corners.
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 04 April 2013, 00:04:17 »

I am familiarly intimate with that 'tucking under' sensation, but no sign of it inspite of tyre condition.

Since alignment, a full bore emergency stop, straightline, hands ON wheel, resulted in the wheel shimmying, but not enough to lose grip of the wheel or control of the car. Car pulled up dead straight. Also drove back via a route which involved a really good handling test. 2.5 miles of dips, crests, sweeping and tight blind bends :y

Google maps, Haslingbourne Lane, Petworth (junction with A285), to the A283 in Fittleworth (junction with Lower Street).

Follow it on Streetview for a proper idea of the road.

The car was barely driveable, but following the bush changes, it drove ok on way to WIM and now drives well.

These bushes are a compromise, and whilst not better than genuine GM ones, they aren't as compromising as they could be. Should put a couple of thousand miles or so on them this month, but thus far, no new tyre wear, and no scrubbing under (very) heavy braking, fast bends, and full lock low speed manoeuvring :y
« Last Edit: 04 April 2013, 00:05:53 by ex taxi al »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 April 2013, 18:39:43 »

Mine started fantastic, but slowly disintegrated into, well, I'm sure gayboy has explained...
Grumpy old man

feeutfo

« Reply #24 on: 04 April 2013, 19:50:45 »

That groomer forced me into his car again. It wasn't nice. :(

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 04 April 2013, 20:26:29 »

Mine started fantastic, but slowly disintegrated into, well, I'm sure gayboy has explained...

The last attempt went that way in a few days, dismissed as poor geometry until the tyres started dissolving :-\
Geometry helped, but behaviour was still pish/almost unpredictable :'(

Early days with current setup promising, but will report back in a couple of weeks :y
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.