Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Exhaust for 2.5 estate  (Read 4683 times)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust for 2.5 estate
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2019, 14:46:11 »

Whether the back box is stainless or not, the pipes certainly won't be, and they corrode around the weld to the back box and on the lower side of the pipes where water sits.
In 2006,  I replaced an original back box (with the stainless angled exit tips) on my 3.2 due to excessive corrosion, with a genuine original again with the stainless angled tips on the the exit pipes ( VX aftermarket are mild steel with 90 degree angled steel tips, and they rust as any other exhaust component)
There different qualities of stainless though - 304 grade is pure stainless steel and will not rust, whereas lower grades such as 409 have an amount of mild steel in them, and although described as stainless, will still corrode away albeit at a slower rate than a mild steel exhaust.
However I have yet to see a stainless VX exhaust on an Omega apart from the exit tips on the original fitment. A magnet is the best test.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Hoof'land storeman.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 March 2019, 22:03:55 »

Custom made stainless systems can be bought for the Omega, but as has been suggested, original exhausts from Vauxhall to the best of my knowledge have never been stainless.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 March 2019, 08:54:02 »

Custom made stainless systems can be bought for the Omega, but as has been suggested, original exhausts from Vauxhall to the best of my knowledge have never been stainless.
Terry's own words 'this car has a stainless back box'...  :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 March 2019, 09:40:15 »

I have the invoice from Longlife, Bristol, for £259, dated 2013-01-12, from the previous owner. I hope I can separate it from the old system without damaging it.

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 March 2019, 10:59:42 »

I'm not going to create a new topic just yet, maybe some smart people can offer me some advice.
On my 3.2 saloon the silencer box is quite rusted away and needs to be replaced. If I were to get a used exhaust system from an Estate - can it be bolted right on or are the connections different? I've gone through some of the threads and they say that the length and what not are not the same. Also are the V6 exhaust systems all the same - is the 2.5 one interchangable with the 3.2 one and 2.6 with 3.0 and so on?

A second idea is to purchase a new system altogether: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Opel-Vauxhall-Omega-B-3-0-3-2-V6-Saloon-Silencer-Exhaust-System-351-/251165535819 - this would do, right?

Best regards.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 March 2019, 11:38:40 »

Saloon and estate exhausts for any given engine are different cat back for saloon and estate.

They are NOT interchangeable. Ever.

Opomes

• Estonia
    • Opel Omega B 2002 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 March 2019, 11:56:45 »

Saloon and estate exhausts for any given engine are different cat back for saloon and estate.

They are NOT interchangeable. Ever.

Perfect.
What about a V6 2.5 vs V6 3.2 exhaust or V6 2.6 vs V6 3.2 - interchangeable or not?

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 March 2019, 12:19:41 »

All V6 exhausts cat back will fit, whether 2.5, 2.6, 3.0 or 3.2. As said, only saloons will fit all saloons, and only estates will fit all estates. However, the exit pipes on a 2.6 and 3.2 are longer than a 2.5 and 3.0. I have fitted a 2.5 back box to a 2.6, and just used stainless tips to extend the exit pipes to clear the bumper, and it also gives a nicer finish to the visable part off the exhaust.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 March 2019, 12:32:08 »

Unless I'm due for a trip to the opticians, nowhere in this topic can I see Terry stating the back box is stainless...until he later refers to having the invoice from Long Life at Bristol....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 March 2019, 13:30:03 »

"Pre MOT check" is usually a waste of time, unless maybe you mean that you did it yourself. Get the car MOT tested and decide what to about if it actually fails. It might well pass with just an advisory on the exhaust. Most MOT test stations allow free re-tests if the car is brought back within 10 days with the failures fixed. They don't re-test everything, just the failure points.

It's been suggested several times on other forums such as MSE that Council run MOT test centres, perhaps surprisingly, are good as they have no vested interest in failing your car as they don't do repairs for the general public. It seems that where Councils run MOT test centres to look after their own fleets they are also legally obliged to offer MOT test services to all. Not tried it myself however I did take an Omega to one a couple of years ago to have the emissions tested when they offered free tests. It passed.

Where is the hole in your exhaust? If it's the rear of the back box where it meets the centre pipes then it's well nigh impossible to weld or patch. Buy the system DG linked to and put that on. You'll have to drill out any broken bolts from the flanges on the cats. If they haven't been drilled out already. Or get a garage to put it on.
The hole is on the right hand centre section, where the input pipe enters the centre box at the top. I cannot see it but when I put my hand over it the sound disappears. The back box is stainless steel. The cat section to centre section bolts look very rusty and will need drilling out.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 March 2019, 13:56:00 »

I think I should make an appointment then at the opticians :D
However,  my experience of mixing mild steel and stainless exhaust systems (albeit on classic cars), is that due to the differing expansion rates of mild steel and stainless, it isn't always easy to maintain a gas right joint, especially on male/ female sliding joints. A heat resistant red silicon allows for slight movement whilst maintaining a gas tight seal, and it also aids subsequent separation of the joint, whereas an exhaust paste sets rock hard, with no allowance for expansion movement, and is horrible stuff to remove if you need to separate the joint at a later date. Bolted flanges such as the cat to centre section as on the Omega stand a better chance between differet metals, but I would either keep to all stainless or all mild steel.
With the red silicon, there is also no need to overtighten the clamps - nip them up firmly to hold the two sections together, but overtightening only deforms the pipe, and makes later separation difficult. I would also try and source or reuse the original VX style D clamps, rather than use U clamps, as U clamps are more likely to put an indentation in the pipe it is clamping which makes life difficult when separating later.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 March 2019, 14:00:38 »

I think I should make an appointment then at the opticians :D
However,  my experience of mixing mild steel and stainless exhaust systems (albeit on classic cars), is that due to the differing expansion rates of mild steel and stainless, it isn't always easy to maintain a gas right joint, especially on male/ female sliding joints. A heat resistant red silicon allows for slight movement whilst maintaining a gas tight seal, and it also aids subsequent separation of the joint, whereas an exhaust paste sets rock hard, with no allowance for expansion movement, and is horrible stuff to remove if you need to separate the joint at a later date. Bolted flanges such as the cat to centre section as on the Omega stand a better chance between differet metals, but I would either keep to all stainless or all mild steel.
With the red silicon, there is also no need to overtighten the clamps - nip them up firmly to hold the two sections together, but overtightening only deforms the pipe, and makes later separation difficult. I would also try and source or reuse the original VX style D clamps, rather than use U clamps, as U clamps are more likely to put an indentation in the pipe it is clamping which makes life difficult when separating later.
Whats as gas right joint? ;D

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 March 2019, 14:05:47 »

I would also try and source or reuse the original VX style D clamps, rather than use U clamps, as U clamps are more likely to put an indentation in the pipe it is clamping which makes life difficult when separating later.
If Terry gets a ticket on it ,I doubt he'll worry about "what if i need to remove the back box in another 5 years " :D ;D

cheap aftermarket exhausts are shyte but cheap enough to stick on an ageing 15 year old beater ,in the hope of a couple of MOT passes   :P

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 March 2019, 16:47:02 »

Are you talking about Terry seeing out 5 years or the car??!!?? ;D
I'm looking at all mine being still around long after that - with the right care! My oldest car is 51 years old, so what makes you think an Omega won't make it to past 50?!? ::). I might struggle to see it get to 50, but you never know....
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 22 queries.