Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.  (Read 6087 times)

Lizzie_Zoom

Re: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.
« Reply #30 on: 20 July 2014, 10:20:02 »

Quote from: Tilbo link=topic=125028 ;D.msg1593734#msg1593734 date=1405810323
What's all this about ? It will be penis size next !! The legal limit is 70 my 2.6 manual gets there quick enough don't bother timing it & it will sit there all day comfortably..

;D ;D ;D ;D I have been watching this thread and just laughing whilst thinking exactly what you have expressed Tibo.   ;D ;D ;D ;D

A V6 Omega is fast enough........especially my 3.2 ;D ;D ;D

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 July 2014, 10:39:32 »

My 3 pennorth. What's all this about ? It will be penis size next !! The legal limit is 70 my 2.6 manual gets there quick enough don't bother timing it & it will sit there all day comfortably.. 'At last'... 'sigh'!!... :y :y For the record my old CLS 500 managed 30-70 mph in 4.8 secs...........0-60MPH in 5.6secs. T'was  a quick old bus. And 'ONLY 5 litres'... 'Who cares'. :-\
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 July 2014, 10:42:57 »

My 3 pennorth. What's all this about ? It will be penis size next !! The legal limit is 70 my 2.6 manual gets there quick enough don't bother timing it & it will sit there all day comfortably.. 'At last'... 'sigh'!!... :y :y For the record my old CLS 500 managed 30-70 mph in 4.8 secs...........0-60MPH in 5.6secs. T'was  a quick old bus. And 'ONLY 5 litres'... 'Who cares'. :-\

Nineteen year old ( in mind, not body) petrol heads like myself. :y ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 July 2014, 10:52:08 »

What's all this about ? It will be penis size next !! The legal limit is 70 my 2.6 manual gets there quick enough don't bother timing it & it will sit there all day comfortably..

Quite right.  :y

I've got no interest in speed anymore.........especially after my recent indiscretion::)

I've noticed that now I'm sticking to the speed limit people behind me are more friendly and *wave* to me more.  ::)

*I say wave, it may be gesticulating.

Does friendliness vary with lane allocation, at all ::) ;D

On single carriageways, with heavy traffic in opposite direction, they can be really friendly, to the degree that they clearly want me to pull over for a chat.  ;D ;D

I remember when I was always in a hurry, even when there was no need to be (seems like only last week..... oh, it was  ::)), and always getting irate with other drivers holding me up.
I feel so much more relaxed now.  ::)

If I've got to suffer, so have they;) ;D ;D
Spoken like a true caravan owner  >:(

;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 July 2014, 10:54:13 »

There are some traitorous dogs here at OOF who have described the performance of the Omega as 'slow by modern standards'......you know who you are..... ;)

What is even worse is that these same traitorous dogs dare to suggest that Vauxhall's finest would be humbled by just about every turbo-diesel on the planet. Balls.

In defence of the mighty Omega I have just run some performance tests on my totally stock 88000 mile MV6.

I have chosen acceleration through the gears between 30 MPH and 70 MPH as this the yardstick that most magazines use........0-60MPH is more about traction an gearing than outright power.

Here goes........My car recorded a 30-70 mph time of 7.9 secs........taking 184.4 metres.

Competitors.....BMW 320D....................................7.6 secs
                     Jaguar XF 2.2D..............................8.0
                    Vauxhall Insignia 2.0CDTI 160............8.4
                    Golf 2.0 TDi....................................8.6
                    Mazda MX5 2.0................................7.2 :'(
                    Merc C220 CDI.................................8.5

So, in summary, this 20 year old engine even in it's smaller (2.6) form can still cut it with the modern derv drinker. :y :y

* performance figures for the smoky belching diesels have been taken from Autocar magazine road tests.
Be interesting to see what a 15yr old, 217k 3.0l auto could manage - although the 0-60 between the bigger and smaller V6's isn't that great, its that midrange power where the larger versions seem so much better.

I think a trip down to Mr Wood is in order :)
Grumpy old man

Jusme

• Omega Knight
  • North Hykeham, Lincoln.
    • Lexus LS430
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 July 2014, 12:34:01 »

For the record my old CLS 500 managed 30-70 mph in 4.8 secs...........0-60MPH in 5.6secs. T'was  a quick old bus.
In 1988 my 2 litre Cossie RS500 after a trip to Brodie Britain managed 0 - 60 in 4.8secs. and 0 - 100 in a shade over 11 secs... 'So there' Merc man.... Can't understand why Clarkson gets 'orgasmic' over cars that manage the same times 26 years on???
Under-steer is when the front of the car hits the wall, and over-steer is when the rear of the car hits the wall.
Power is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how much of the wall you take with you.

Magwheels

• Intermediate Member
    • 2.2 dti Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 July 2014, 14:52:01 »

Can't understand why Clarkson gets 'orgasmic' over cars that manage the same times 26 years on???

Because he likes the sound of his own voice and it keeps him in a job. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 July 2014, 16:11:25 »

For the record my old CLS 500 managed 30-70 mph in 4.8 secs...........0-60MPH in 5.6secs. T'was  a quick old bus.
In 1988 my 2 litre Cossie RS500 after a trip to Brodie Britain managed 0 - 60 in 4.8secs. and 0 - 100 in a shade over 11 secs... 'So there' Merc man.... Can't understand why Clarkson gets 'orgasmic' over cars that manage the same times 26 years on???

The Merc was okay but no more than that.....and I'm glad that I sold it.The Omega is a far nicer car to drive anyway. I don't think that JC would cream his jeans over a 0-60 mph sprint in 4.8 sec these days. It would need to be significantly quicker than that.

Maybe  2.6 to sixty and five to 100 mph would be enough to get his juices flowing though....like a Veyron. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 July 2014, 17:31:25 »

I think the biggest problem is that cars have become flabby and overweight, so despite the advances, they're no quicker.

As for JC and his Mercs, its possibly due to his downer on BMWs after her was not allowed to test drive the BMW powered McLaren F1 due to a driving conviction...   ...not that I blame him on not liking non M3/M5 beemers
Grumpy old man

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #39 on: 21 July 2014, 20:06:15 »

I think the biggest problem is that cars drivers have become flabby and overweight, so despite the advances, they're no quicker.

As for JC and his Mercs, its possibly due to his downer on BMWs after her was not allowed to test drive the BMW powered McLaren F1 due to a driving conviction...   ...not that I blame him on not liking non M3/M5 beemers

Fixed for you TB! ;D ;D ;D ;)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 July 2014, 20:36:14 »

In terms of acceleration it is poor. Thirty to seventy is going to be better cos the huge mass has got some momentum.

It's all about the wafting along people  :y
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 July 2014, 20:41:52 »

In terms of acceleration it is poor. Thirty to seventy is going to be better cos the huge mass has got some momentum.

Great cruisers, just eat the miles.  :)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 July 2014, 20:49:15 »

Great cruisers, just eat the miles.  :)

Very true mate.

Re the acceleration with the auto you have to be in the position where it can drop a cog or it isn't fast at all. E.g. When you're crawling along and then mash the pedal it's really slow. But if you're in third and it drops to second that's quite fast. All about timing.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 July 2014, 22:19:00 »

Can be very lazy driving the 3.2, just effortless. Suspect most times where a diesel is trying it on, the diesel is revin it's nuts off and going through the gears.

Where as the 3.2 just pulls and pulls.

I must be doing something right, think the rears will be shot soon on the 3.2, be lucky if I get 14k out of them  :o

TB also has same tyres as me  :o

Ohhh the shame!  :D :D :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 July 2014, 22:51:07 »

I respect my Omega far too much to rag it like you lot!  :P  ::)

In fact I've taken to wearing a flat cap, driving gloves and have a pipe stuck between my teeth as I cruise up the motorway at 70 (ish) and everywhere else at about 10 mph below the limit!  ::)  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.