Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.  (Read 6076 times)

05omegav6

Re: Omega 2.6 MV6 auto performance.
« Reply #45 on: 21 July 2014, 22:52:41 »

I respect my Omega far too much to rag it like you lot!  :P  ::)

In fact I've taken to wearing a flat cap, driving gloves and have a pipe stuck between my teeth as I cruise up the motorway at 70 (ish) and everywhere else at about 10 mph below the limit!  ::)  :)
Ahe...bulls...hit...m said the fence panel ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 22 July 2014, 05:46:21 »

Suspect most times where a diesel is trying it on, the diesel is revin it's nuts off and going through the gears.
Not usually revving too hard, as diesels tend to produce it all lower down. Modern ones are a bit peaky, thus need constant gearchanges to keep them on the boil, hence many coming with 7 or 8 speed autoboxes now

I must be doing something right, think the rears will be shot soon on the 3.2, be lucky if I get 14k out of them  :o

TB also has same tyres as me  :o

Ohhh the shame!  :D :D :D
Those tyres have catastrophically poor grip, wet or dry. And not much durability either. Not really much to recommend them, although they do give a nice ride.
Grumpy old man

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 24 July 2014, 08:33:25 »

Omegas are not slow, but they are not quick by modern standards.

Look at the Vauxhall alternative from the Omegas death, a 2.8 V6 engine with a 30-70 time of circa 5 seconds, weighs about the same as the Omega but considerably quicker.

I will be having a play at some point to see how close it is to 5 secs but with a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds and nearly 300+ lb-ft torque I would be fairly sure its not a million miles out, even with an auto box :-)

As I also currently own a 3.2V6 Omega I can speak from direct comparison and know the Omega doesn't come close on in gear acelleration

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 24 July 2014, 10:22:33 »

Omegas are not slow, but they are not quick by modern standards.

Look at the Vauxhall alternative from the Omegas death, a 2.8 V6 engine with a 30-70 time of circa 5 seconds, weighs about the same as the Omega but considerably quicker.

I will be having a play at some point to see how close it is to 5 secs but with a 0-60 time of 6.2 seconds and nearly 300+ lb-ft torque I would be fairly sure its not a million miles out, even with an auto box :-)

As I also currently own a 3.2V6 Omega I can speak from direct comparison and know the Omega doesn't come close on in gear acelleration

Which car do you speak of, Phil?...... ??? ???

Insignia VXR?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 24 July 2014, 11:33:55 »

Insignia  :y

Does not have to be VXR version, other specs had the same engine. Such as the Elite  :y

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 24 July 2014, 14:00:12 »

Vectra C and Signum, as well as the Inshitnia

Vectra and Signum come in Elite, police special or VXR (and i think in design spec in the Signum) with effecively the same engine, some are 230, some are 255 and some are 280bhp.

The odd thing is no matter which version you start with they all end up with around 400 lb-ft torque and 290ish BHP after a simple 'stage 1' remap, but thats by the bye, in standard form even the 230 is, suprisingly, considerably quicker than the Omega, and the Signum in elite spec is 1670kg!

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #51 on: 24 July 2014, 19:01:57 »

Suspect most times where a diesel is trying it on, the diesel is revin it's nuts off and going through the gears.
Not usually revving too hard, as diesels tend to produce it all lower down. Modern ones are a bit peaky, thus need constant gearchanges to keep them on the boil, hence many coming with 7 or 8 speed autoboxes now

I must be doing something right, think the rears will be shot soon on the 3.2, be lucky if I get 14k out of them  :o

TB also has same tyres as me  :o

Ohhh the shame!  :D :D :D
Those tyres have catastrophically poor grip, wet or dry. And not much durability either. Not really much to recommend them, although they do give a nice ride.

I agree, its all down end where the power is....my VRS will pull like a rocket as soon as the turbo kicks in....i reckon thats about 13-1400rpm.....and if your going for it.....its difficult to change up before it hits 2000rpm.....it gets there so quick....never had it over 3k revs tho's, dont forget tunnie, diesels tend to red line at 4.5k

At 7-8mph in 2nd gear (about 900rpm)....it'll still pull away without trouble.....try that in your 2.2 (that would possibly be 'labouring' the 2.2 engine)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 24 July 2014, 19:19:00 »

Get a Westfield. :y Pulls like a diseasel in the sub-2K area, and there's no need to rev it higher to keep up with the traffic, but it will pull all the way to 7400 if you so desire. 8)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

05omegav6

« Reply #53 on: 24 July 2014, 21:55:32 »

Most noticeable issue booting the Merc is the kickdown delay... once it's found its gear though, there's no holding it back 8)

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #54 on: 25 July 2014, 19:12:48 »

Most noticeable issue booting the Merc is the kickdown delay... once it's found its gear though, there's no holding it back 8)

Any quicker finding the gear if you use the tiptronic?  :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 25 July 2014, 19:14:45 »

Any quicker finding the gear if you use the tiptronic:-\

very...very.....almost glacially slow, on the Merc that I owned.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #56 on: 25 July 2014, 19:22:32 »

That was an old Merc tho....T Al's is quite a bit newer.....i seem to remember the tiptronic on my then 6 yo C220 with intergalactic miles on it used to take less than 1s to change gear....i used to reckon that you couldnt change gear any faster with a manual box (unless your a pro)

All modern day racing cars and rally cars use tiptronic..... and those dont hang about changing gear  :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25 July 2014, 20:13:57 »

That was an old Merc tho....T Al's is quite a bit newer.....i seem to remember the tiptronic on my then 6 yo C220 with intergalactic miles on it used to take less than 1s to change gear....i used to reckon that you couldnt change gear any faster with a manual box (unless your a pro)

All modern day racing cars and rally cars use tiptronic..... and those dont hang about changing gear  :)

It is indeed. .......Al has far more money than me. :'(

05omegav6

« Reply #58 on: 25 July 2014, 20:37:57 »

It's infinitely improved in S, but isn't tiptronic... just a straightforward 5 speed slushbox :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #59 on: 25 July 2014, 20:43:28 »

It's infinitely improved in S, but isn't tiptronic... just a straightforward 5 speed slushbox :y

Are you sure??.....i havent driven a Merc for a while....but back then all Mercs had tiptronic on them....wheres the gearshift? on the centre console or on the steering column?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.