Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can this be right  (Read 2051 times)

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
how can this be right
« on: 21 July 2014, 18:52:24 »

broke my foot and been on crutches for 2 weeks and had a air boot instead of a pot[walked and went to work with it for 4 weeks] so today I got the all clear.went to give my crutches and boot back and got told to but them in the scrap bin as they cant be reused due to h@s rules.now the boot has a air pump in it ,shin guard and a removable inner, so throw the inner away as my smelly foot has been in it sanatise the plastic and away you go. as for the crutches a quick look over for any damage maybe replace the tips and hand grips if you being picky and jobs a good one
there must have been about 50 sets of crutches there and about 30 zimmer frames
what a waste.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: how can this be right
« Reply #1 on: 21 July 2014, 19:01:34 »

It's easy to piss away other peoples money.  ::)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

cleggy

« Reply #2 on: 21 July 2014, 19:09:39 »

Absolutely bloody ridiculous waste of money. The NHS is bankrupt and vastly overpaid bean counters chuck money away. >:( >:( >:(
Just how much do these chief executives get :( and how much are they paid to leave :( then get rehired in another trust >:( >:( >:(

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2014, 19:51:06 »

Absolutely bloody ridiculous waste of money. The NHS is bankrupt and vastly overpaid bean counters chuck money away. >:( >:( >:(
Just how much do these chief executives get :( and how much are they paid to leave :( then get rehired in another trust >:( >:( >:(

The leaving CEO at Tesco who was at the helm when the profits went 'tits up' will get a seven million pound golden handshake. >:(

Rewards for failure just like the bankers. :(

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2014, 21:37:13 »

To play devils advocate. If you ended up getting MRSA or something worse because you had to reuse an air boot that someone else has worn, then you would have been on here moaning about how the NHS cannot afford to give you a new air boot and how you have paid your taxes and NI all your life. Then someone else would moan about how NHS CEO's cannot sort out something simple like infection control. By the way it wouldn't be H&S, it would be infection control.

Those air boots are not designed to be sanitised. How do you propose to sanitise them? Autoclaving them would probably melt them or affect the structural integrity. Sometimes the cost of a disposable is cheaper than a reusable item in the long run. Work out the risks of someone else contracting MRSA/ESBL/PVL... chose what bug you like, and the costs of eradicating such infection and a disposable boot doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

Certainly I wouldn't want to re-use the boot you had on your foot for god knows how long. Worn in god knows what conditions. You may be a very clean person, but there are some disgusting folk out there. Trust me, I have had to go out on home visits.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. You just cannot keep some folk happy.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

cleggy

« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2014, 21:58:12 »

I was referring to the waste of crutches, Zimmer frames and other things that can be refurbished and reused without causing a danger to health. I certainly would not want to go back to washing used bandages. :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2014, 22:07:51 »

Unless we the have the costings for sanitise v new crutches, how do any of us know which is cheaper overall?

With high labour costs in the UK, many things are uneconomic to recycle and reuse. A least with metals they can be recycled whereas many plastics just go to landfill. We extract oil and many raw materials at great cost from the ground, use them for a short period and bury them again in landfill. :o :o :o At some point this cycle will have to stop as high recycling means that we can consume then reuse in new forms for a very, very long time. :y :y :y

At some point in the 21st century recycling and extracting rare raw materials from used items is going to become very, very big business, where there is muck there is brass. :y :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 July 2014, 22:29:38 »

:o :o It's the total opposite up here, there is an amnesty on asking for the return of crutches, because replacing all the missing sets is costing a small fortune........... :y :y

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2014, 23:52:28 »

I was referring to the waste of crutches, Zimmer frames and other things that can be refurbished and reused without causing a danger to health. I certainly would not want to go back to washing used bandages. :y

I havent heard of crutches/zimmers being binned. There  is usually an amnesty at most hospitals as they are expensive and people dont return loan units. I would be very surprised if Nottingham bins their metal crutches/zimmers. They usually get picked up by EME and get checked out/refurbed and re-used.

I was referring to the air boot.
Never Argue With A Fool – They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience!

drinksoptional

• Scotland
    • 98 3.0 elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2014, 01:01:28 »

Stick an advert on gumtree some one might find a use for them

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2014, 09:52:52 »

Stick an advert on gumtree some one might find a use for them

:y

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

cleggy

« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2014, 10:11:12 »

I havent heard of crutches/zimmers being binned. There  is usually an amnesty at most hospitals as they are expensive and people dont return loan units. I would be very surprised if Nottingham bins their metal crutches/zimmers. They usually get picked up by EME and get checked out/refurbed and re-used.

I was referring to the air boot.

The OP refers to throwing them in the scrap bin. :y

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2014, 17:44:37 »

d
I would have thought the boot could have been dipped/washed in some sort of chemical to clean it as it is plastic,like I said the inner is removable so could be thrown away.it wasn't Nottingham it was Mansfield kings mill and I actually but them in a bin marked as scrap in clinic 10 if you want to check up.
it surprised me because like you said iam sure they were begging people a few years ago to return these.

D

• Omega Knight
  • SE London
    • 03 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 July 2014, 00:18:06 »

It is not as easy as dipping in a chemical. Many chemicals will cause skin reactions/sensitivity/anaphylaxis in extreme cases etc.

Are you saying that you had to chuck the metal crutches away as well? That is not normal practice.

r1

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 July 2014, 23:25:22 »

It is not as easy as dipping in a chemical. Many chemicals will cause skin reactions/sensitivity/anaphylaxis in extreme cases etc.

Are you saying that you had to chuck the metal crutches away as well?   YES
 That is not normal practice.

well it seams normal practice up here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.