Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice with dealing with a neighbour please?  (Read 3848 times)

jimbobmccoy

• Intermediate Member
  • outer london
    • View Profile
Re: Advice with dealing with a neighbour please?
« Reply #15 on: 24 July 2014, 19:25:49 »

CCTV seems the way to go. This coupled with a diary of when incidents occur can gradually build up a file to be presented to the housing association and police when you have enough to demand action.

CCTV can be connected to a local recorder without the need of internet, and rather than have your MIL record the diary ask her to call you or another family member after any incident and you keep the diary. This will have the added benefit of letting your MIL feel supported and give her the opportunity to vent-these situations often seem worse when kept to ones self, especially when elderly and inclined to 'not want to bother others'.

Obviously distance for you is an issue in getting stuff set up, but if it helps, and your MIL is in London I'd be happy to spare an afternoon to stick a CCTV system in.

It may also be worth seeing if friends or family can pay more frequent visits-the extra presence may be enough to dissuade the scum that it's not worth the Agro as they're not just dealing with a single elderly lady on her own.

Lizzie_Zoom

« Reply #16 on: 24 July 2014, 19:37:58 »

Varche, you need to speak to your mother in laws local police about what is anti-social behaviour, with the added element of harassment and threatening behaviour by these individuals towards a disabled OAP.

In addition speak to the local council covering your mother in laws property and explain fully the issues.

Certainly the police take these crimes very seriously and will use their hate crime dept. to investigate and take action, working with the council, to resolve the issues permanently. If this "family" have already received warnings over previous actions then your input can only assist in a resolution. :y

PS If your mother in law lives in Kent I can give you some contact numbers for the police.

Although the advice about CCTV is good, I repeat that stated above; involve the police now.

They will follow up your complaint with CCTV and other monitoring devices when they know this involves a vulnerable, disabled woman.  She is living next to God knows who, but the police could well know about them already. You want them on board now, with protection given to this lady if she is being threatened, which could only be hastened if third parties, not involving the police, are seen to be installing CCTV equipment.  You do not know how these neighbours will react to that, and police involvement, coupled with council action, will give her the protection she may need if they react in a threatening manner.

Being connected to the police and advising on these very issues I strongly advise this approach. :y

davieboy0312

• wishaw
    • 3l V6 saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 July 2014, 19:41:05 »

Think you need to put up signs stating that cctv is in use or am i talking mince?

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 July 2014, 19:47:58 »

I have my CCTV setup so I can watch it anywhere I have an internet connection.  I am often away so if the alarm goes off it calls me and I can watch the cctv live.  The police wont attend break ins reported by those away from their property without 2 factor confirmation. >:(

The crux of it is that you can get the dates from the diary she writes and save the recordings from distance.  Make a dossier for the police and sort these ruffians out :y

cleggy

« Reply #19 on: 24 July 2014, 21:19:47 »

I think that Lizzie's advice is sound, involve the police. If they do not respond to your satisfaction go to her MP, Councillors et all. They should install the monitoring equipment on a temporary basis. :y
I hope this is speedily resolved, nobody should have to put with scrum and their unacceptable anti social behaviour, let alone to an elderly lady. Whatever happened to respect your elders ?
I am lucky having four sons who are local and some well connected friends should they be needed. :y
If you know OOF members who live close, liaise with them, I am sure they will help however you want. :y
« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 21:23:42 by Cleggy »

the alarming man

• Omega Baron
  • medway kent
    • disco V8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 July 2014, 21:44:57 »

yes the police would be the first port of call...your (what was called beat bobby) local community team/PCSO (they are in this area) and they work wonders in this area....no need for CCTV evidence to have a word on the parents ear, as housing association tenants they can with evidence evict the little !"£$%^£ and most parents of these feral youths do not know this....until plod knocks on their door and reads them the riot act....This is how it is worked in this part of Kent anyway and it works very well indeed

one other point of contacting your local team as these little !"£$%^& are possibly doing it to others as well

I have worked along side the local teams in north kent for 4 years now dealing with anti social behaviour
« Last Edit: 24 July 2014, 21:48:49 by the alarming man »
'the more people i meet...the more i like the dog'

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #21 on: 24 July 2014, 21:57:31 »

CCTV. Remote to you for/viewing recording.  Make sure police and housing association are kept informed. Buy some muscle.

1980 V8 Lagonda & a 2014 Adam & a 2015 Antara.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2014, 22:28:35 »

Thanks for all the input.  Good advice in there - what I'd like to do and what we will do being two different things.   Getting a camera installed on the roof tomorrow to start gathering evidence.   Also getting a neighbour to take some photos of rocks that keep being thrown over, damage to property etc.  Trouble is, even if evicted, what's to stop them going back in the dead of night and setting her house on fire.   These sort of people - especially when on drugs - know no bounds, and are bound to know far more 'heavies' than I do.
Also going to contact the H.Assoc in the morning to see what their take is.  Maybe contact the police, but remember another local case where a mum and disabled daughter had been harassed for years and reported it many many times.  In the end they parked up in a layby and set themselves on fire as they couldn't take it any more.   The police were "really sorry" ......
I'll let you know how things work out, if indeed they do.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2014, 22:32:35 »

yes the police would be the first port of call...your (what was called beat bobby) local community team/PCSO (they are in this area) and they work wonders in this area....no need for CCTV evidence to have a word on the parents ear, as housing association tenants they can with evidence evict the little !"£$%^£ and most parents of these feral youths do not know this....until plod knocks on their door and reads them the riot act....This is how it is worked in this part of Kent anyway and it works very well indeed

one other point of contacting your local team as these little !"£$%^& are possibly doing it to others as well

I have worked along side the local teams in north kent for 4 years now dealing with anti social behaviour

What he, and LZ, said, cctv if you want, but sending round the heavies is not the answer as it can't be sustained, in this situation. Complaints to Council and Housing Association will make a difference, things are changing and Landlords are more accountable for their tenants than ever before............... :)

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #24 on: 24 July 2014, 22:32:47 »

Thanks for all the input.  Good advice in there - what I'd like to do and what we will do being two different things.   Getting a camera installed on the roof tomorrow to start gathering evidence.   Also getting a neighbour to take some photos of rocks that keep being thrown over, damage to property etc.  Trouble is, even if evicted, what's to stop them going back in the dead of night and setting her house on fire.   These sort of people - especially when on drugs - know no bounds, and are bound to know far more 'heavies' than I do.
Also going to contact the H.Assoc in the morning to see what their take is.  Maybe contact the police, but remember another local case where a mum and disabled daughter had been harassed for years and reported it many many times.  In the end they parked up in a layby and set themselves on fire as they couldn't take it any more.   The police were "really sorry" ......
I'll let you know how things work out, if indeed they do.

Try & find a better place for your MIL.   :(

cam2502

• Omega Baron
  • dumfries,scotland
    • 08 BMW 520d & 03 Saab 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 July 2014, 22:34:17 »

Nothing more to add to what others have said, but I wish your MIL all the best. What kind of country do we live in when an elderly lady is subjected to scum like this  >:(
Boils my blood.

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 24 July 2014, 22:37:14 »

Was going to suggest simply shooting the ... but apparently that's frowned upon ::)

Seriously though, reporting it to the Police might not have an obvious immediate effect, but it does set it on record. And that is far more significant than it sounds, as it marks the beginning of an official record. But be sure to get a crime/incident  number :y

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #27 on: 24 July 2014, 22:45:22 »

Nothing more to add to what others have said, but I wish your MIL all the best. What kind of country do we live in when an elderly lady is subjected to scum like this  >:(
Boils my blood.

Too right.  :y

Lagondanet

• Omega Knight
  • Bedfordshire
  • The Omega is gone!
    • View Profile
    • Lagondanet
« Reply #28 on: 24 July 2014, 22:45:37 »

Was going to suggest simply shooting the ... but apparently that's frowned upon ::)

Seriously though, reporting it to the Police might not have an obvious immediate effect, but it does set it on record. And that is far more significant than it sounds, as it marks the beginning of an official record. But be sure to get a crime/incident  number :y

:y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2014, 07:45:34 »

Sorry to say but i would be selling up and shifting her into a supported living type bungalow, understand she will want independance but twighlight years deserve peace and tranquility, not living in fear and harrasment. Once done I'm sure a group of us would happily pay a courtesy visit to the aggressors, I'm definately in...seriously! >:(
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 21 queries.