Author Topic: 4x4  (Read 10958 times)

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
4x4
« on: 02 March 2018, 14:27:52 »

Knowning nothing really about this but after reading some stuff on here about bmw x5s and seening a land rover and a truck thing go up our hill without a problem but a chap in a range rover couldnt. My question is whats the best and why or is it just tyre choice and driver skill. Would lets say a audi quattro on winter tyres be as good as lets say a land rover. Also whats the difference in all wheel drive and a 4x4.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: 4x4
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2018, 15:47:58 »

A chap around the corner from us has a blinged up Range Rover Sport with massive alloys and low profile tyres. He is awfully embarrassed when he can't get up the hill in snow and my son takes great pleasure in towing him up the hill in his pick up with arctic style tyres.
Wheel size and tyres make a massive difference.  :y

Most X5's and the likes over here are fitted with bling wheels and summer tyres so are shite in snow, just like the Range Rover around the corner. Change the wheels and tyres and they become much more usable.  :y
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2018, 15:56:08 »

A chap around the corner from us has a blinged up Range Rover Sport with massive alloys and low profile tyres. He is awfully embarrassed when he can't get up the hill in snow and my son takes great pleasure in towing him up the hill in his pick up with arctic style tyres.
Wheel size and tyres make a massive difference.  :y

Most X5's and the likes over here are fitted with bling wheels and summer tyres so are shite in snow, just like the Range Rover around the corner. Change the wheels and tyres and they become much more usable.  :y

The trouble is that so many 4x4 drivers seem to believe they are invincible in those beasts and can do anything, with or without the correct running gear! :o :o ::) ;)

STEMO

« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2018, 15:58:50 »

That's because all the adverts show range rovers and the like splashing through fords and racing down country lanes. The kind of stuff you could do in a Nissan micra.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2018, 16:23:06 »

I remember the early days of the police using Range Rovers as full patrol cars.

They eventually found out that they were no good for speed, and especially pursuit duties.  A police friend of mine lost two colleagues in Hampshire when their Range Rover rolled, and they were banned from being a fast pursuit vehicle within that force. :'( :'( :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2018, 18:04:54 »

Yep, with drug dealer wheels and tyres you have 4x bugger all grip instead of 2x bugger all! Net result is pretty much the same.

Plus - how many Chelsea tractor drivers have any clue how to drive a 4wd vehicle? I'd wager many don't have a clue how to engage 4wd. ;D
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2018, 18:05:50 »

.. and "fast pursuit" in a Range Rover?  :o No, thanks!
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 March 2018, 18:12:47 »

Someone on here recommended a Subaru Forester for my daughter, which she bought 6 years ago, and loves it. Plus it has world beating hill climb grip performance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmBibFdMIRU

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2018, 18:23:07 »

Even on summer tyres and bling wheels, none of the proper 4x4 vehicles (note, not AWD ones) should have no issues really.  The problem, 9 times out of 10, is the (in)competence of the driver.

The X5 is a proper 4x4, as is a Range Rover.

Grumpy old man

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2018, 18:56:39 »

.. and "fast pursuit" in a Range Rover?  :o No, thanks!

Ah, that is "fast" in the context of the early 1970's when Range Rover patrol arms were introduced. Even by then most cars on the road dated from the 1950's and fist half of the 1960's, and in those you were lucky to reach 60 mph, and just maybe 70 mph.  My A40 was lucky to do 50 with the wind behind it! It is my belief, correct me if I am wrong, but it was only in the late 1960's and early1970's that even the average Ford Cortina could start to do 80, 90, or even 100 mph, with new cross flow engines, and Gt, XLS, etc badges. Later that decade the really faster average car came into being, and started to do 125-130+ mph. This challenged, and still does, the Traffic police to match their patrol cars to the top speeds of even the lowly boy races hatchbacks.

It was in the mid-1970's that the limitations of the traffic police Range Rover for "fast" pursuits became apparent.  It was also when my police chum lost his two colleagues in one. ;)

2boxerdogs

« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2018, 19:21:22 »

Have had several 4x4s over the years Toyota Land cruiser Nissan Patrol and at present have the Jeep , Subaru Forester & my son in law has my old Hyundai Terracan , never changed anything on them all kept as they left the factory. In all honesty none of them have let me down in severe weather conditions if you want one it is definitely worth spending a few quid on a course on how to drive them properly and to get the best of their capabilities.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 March 2018, 19:26:19 »

Has anyone answered OPs question yet? :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 March 2018, 19:34:12 »

Need to drag it out for a few more pages yet. ;D

Actually, I think the OP had it right from the start: 
tyre choice and driver skill.

AWD cars clearly aren't going to be as capable as a proper 4x4, as the suspension will be compromised towards road use rather than pure off-road, they'll lack diff locks and only be able to shift a certain amount of torque between front and back, depending on the system. For the purposes of not getting stuck on normal roads in the sort of snow we have, they should all be capable, as long as the driver isn't furiously polishing the surface of the snow and getting nowhere. ;D

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 March 2018, 20:05:20 »

No.
So here it is:

AWD and 4x4 mean the same thing. But a 4x4 implies something like a Discovery, Shogun, Jimny etc.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 March 2018, 20:18:06 »

So, basically they are the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.