Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: My 2.5 V6 CDX, year 2000 Facelift Estate  (Read 7865 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
My 2.5 V6 CDX, year 2000 Facelift Estate
« on: 31 July 2016, 10:48:42 »

I've owned this X reg estate since 2002, and bought at a time when silver was a fashionable colour...... with the many thousands of them still around it's no wonder they don't turn heads as much as other coloured Omegas.

It's been off the road for around 5 years now, withdrawn due to engine problems and suspension wear. It was easier and cheaper to just go out and buy another Omega estate - which is what I did (and the present ebay bargain W reg has kept me going, as a workhorse with very little having been done for the initial £399 outlay).

Due to the reasonable condition of the body, and having refurbished the top end of the engine, I decided to bring the rest of it back up to a good standard underneath - as a project car more than anything. The end of August brings the tax and MOT to an end on the ebay bargain, so I shall be looking to put it in for its test sometime over the next couple of weeks. OK, at the end of the day it will always be silver, but hopefully it will keep going for another few years, and then perhaps it really will be rare!!   ;D ;D
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Re: My 2.5 V6 CDX, year 2000 Facelift Estate
« Reply #1 on: 31 July 2016, 10:49:59 »

Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2016, 10:55:19 »

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 July 2016, 11:04:27 »

Very smart  :y What's happening in that last picture?
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 July 2016, 11:14:02 »

The area above the backbox, behind the heat shields was a little bit grotty, so the only way to access was removal of backbox and shields.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 July 2016, 11:18:15 »

Petter

• Horten, Norway
    • omega 2,6 v6 elegance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2016, 12:45:10 »

:D Nice looking omega!
I like the silverstar color.
I got a Zafira b in that color.
Did you find much rust on the heat shield above the pot ?
This is just what I'm planing to do whit my 2,6v6 elegance.  8)
 :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2016, 14:03:21 »

Nice bit of work, nice to see. Well worth getting to these things earlier, before you start needing a welder man  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 August 2016, 15:07:26 »

Yeah silver was the fashion of the day, and apparently white is now the new silver, although for how long who knows? My work involves dating 19th & 20th century artefacts, and it's surprising how fashions come back into vogue..... maybe another 20 years silver could well be back in, but whether the car lasts that long is another matter!

I'm pleased with what I've done to the old girl in the last 6 months (and the car too), finding it quite therapeutic getting down under there and sorting out the grotty bits. Luckily most of what I found was just surface rust, but left another couple of years no doubt more holes would start to appear. The top heatshield nuts sheared off as soon as the spanner greeted them, and these have been replaced with new studs fitted after drilling out the boot floor. The hole in the rear side valance (side heatshield just behind wheel arch) has been treated, and the area well cleaned out and repaired using mudflap washers. The latter was a combination of dirt trapped between shield and valance, as well as moisture dripping down the inside of the rear quarter / inner wheel arch / detached sun roof drain pipes.

All shields cleaned and wire brushed, with only minimal surface rust noted. Treated them to some silver caliper paint, although ordinary Hammerite has been used by others on this forum to good effect.

Car went for MOT test 2 weeks ago and the tester said it cruised through  :) :)

Just sat waiting for the end of month now......  not just to save myself £25 for part month road tax, more the principle. Looking forward to taking it for a proper drive on Thursday  :y

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 August 2016, 15:09:56 »

It's a lot more enjoyable when it's a spare car, and you don't have to be at work in the thing the next morning, I can tell you!!!  :y

But a very tidy car, so what that it's silver and as you say, fashions wax and wane, though still expect some stick from us who own other colours, like ....Diamond Black...  ;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 August 2016, 23:32:38 »

Really great looking estate looks to have been well looked after  :y. I like the silver as well  :y. I have a 2003 CDX estate 58,000 miles on it now I will be looking under the heat shield tomorrow !!. Great job you have done  :y

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2016, 18:26:53 »

The last planned job for this year is the cambelt which I started this morning, hoping new kit would arrive. When it turns up I'll finish the job, so had a tidy up..... good job I wasn't planning on going anywhere for the rest of the week!

With the car up on the ramps, it makes it easier to work on the front of the engine at a comfortable height, and after 3 hours work - no backache  :y
« Last Edit: 14 September 2016, 18:30:19 by Tick Tock »

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2016, 16:23:00 »

Worthwhile tip  :y

Not sure about specifically for the timing, but I did find that when I was working on the front of the engine the other week (waterpump and other bits) with the air intake system out of the way, as in your image, sitting on the airbox, with one foot on the antiroll bar, one leg hanging over the nose was surprisingly comfy!  :)

Keep us updated, looking forward to seeing more progress  :)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2016, 23:33:54 »

Prior to this year's flurry of activity on the CDX, I had put it in for an MOT test about 3 years ago, just after completing a top of engine rebuild. It failed on front suspension bushes and a leaking petrol tank, so was put back into store and started up / moved on a regular basis. The petrol leak turned out to be the steel pipes badly corroded on the top of the petrol tank plate. The hatch area has a tendency to retain water and moisture, and corrosion here seems to be a common problem.

Feb 2016 - we had a couple of glorious sunny weeks which spurred me into doing some work on the car, after seeing it going nowhere for over 4 years. I made a start on the front suspension and was greeted by this -

One thing leads to another..... and as much as I hadn't intended to do any bodywork, this kind of grot couldn't be ignored, so has taken me on a long slow journey, gradually making my way from the front to the back of the car.

Refurbishing the wishbones with polys & GM bushes.

New Monroe shock absorbers ready to go on.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2016, 08:54:02 »

Nice work  :y
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2016, 11:07:10 »

I know how long that takes... and also how satisfying it is when you've done it. Looking good, and keep going, is all I can say!!  :)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2016, 11:30:48 »

The front inner wing area after an awful lot of cleaning, wire brushing and peeling off the old underseal. Thinking everything looks alright until you start investigating further, with surface corrosion creeping along under the factory applied underseal.

New discs and pads all around - I'd fitted a complete Mintex set to the other car (ebay bargain CD) a couple of years ago and for £100 including pads didn't seem like a bad price. The inner hub area of the discs have been painted with caliper paint, to prevent unsightly surface rust after a period in use.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2016, 15:31:32 »

Every one I've seen recently has had crusty chassis rails above the rear wishbone mounts. That includes mine.
This area is much more likely to kill the cars due to rust than the rear wheelarches most people worry about.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 October 2016, 16:27:49 »

Every one I've seen recently has had crusty chassis rails above the rear wishbone mounts. That includes mine.
This area is much more likely to kill the cars due to rust than the rear wheelarches most people worry about.

So true  :y

I've discovered areas of the car which I didn't even know existed, and sure enough there are signs in the most obscure of underbody areas, lurking and slowly rotting your car away without you knowing about it.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 05 October 2016, 20:21:02 »

Been going through this exact process with my project car. The rust creeping behind the factory applied underseal is unbelievable and requires brutal investigation.

Yours is looking great  :y

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2016, 10:14:47 »

Thanks  :)

Just found this picture - not the best, but shows the travel of rot underneath the sealant. Before this large patch of underseal was removed it all looked so perfect, except for a small rusty blemish around the clip hole which secures the plastic mudflap (for want of a better word).

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2016, 20:59:34 »

So after the front wheelarches and suspension / brakes refurbishment, the area under the windscreen and scuttle drains were next up for inspection and cleaning.

This area under the bottom windscreen trim had definitely seen better days. The trim is easy to pull off and reveals the lower edge of the glass and more access to the structural area onto which the screen is bonded. I'm not sure if there's anything between the glass and the body (such as an additional bit of trim?) but have heard tales about windscreen fitters not wanting to fit new screens due to the corrosion around the aperture onto which the glass is bonded.

I guess I'll only find that out if the screen needs replacing at some point, but have addressed the corrosion problems to hopefully stop it spreading any further and keep it under control. There's a couple of nasty holes there now which weren't present when it left the factory, so will be keeping an eye on it. The area has been cleaned back as much as is possible and treated, finishing off with a coat of Dinitrol. The rubber trim was thoroughly cleaned and sealed to the windscreen to prevent water collecting on the affected metal area below the screen. Finally the underside area has been coated with silicone grease to expel any further moisture. Once the rot is in there, the only way to get rid of it is to cut it out, so I'm hoping the cleaning and protecting will give a few more years of use out of the car.  :y

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 October 2016, 10:46:09 »

All the work I've done to the car this year is to preserve it a bit longer - moving on to the scuttle drains - nearside.

It's a long way down there to the bottom and I can't get my arm past the pollen filter housing, so a small brush attached to a long stick was required.

After cleaning out with various potions and elbow grease, the bottom of the drain can be seen. The drain hole is in the grommet, but rainwater will form a big pool if the car is parked facing uphill. After a period of time rot will form on the edge nearest the bulkhead, with excess water finding its way through the inner wing area to freedom.

Ever Ready

• Omega Knight
  • Scotland
    • 2.2 CD Auto, Pug 308Hdi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 October 2016, 13:53:33 »

Nice and thorough is the best way, keep up the good work :y
An ounce of experience is worth more than a pound of enthusiasm.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 October 2016, 15:09:05 »

The offside drain has a few twists and turns, which is an ideal place to trap debris and moisture.

Again awkward to get into to clean but after a good scrub up and treatment, it should allow the water to drain away better.

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.