Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: coolant leak  (Read 3376 times)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
coolant leak
« on: 30 September 2014, 07:03:50 »

Hello all,   Vauxhall Omega 2.6 2003 model auto saloon.
I have noticed the car seems to be leaking coolant more regular than normal.
on my last trip I topped up the filler tank and completed a round trip of approx. 500 miles, upon my return the filler tank was approximately 50% full.. I don't think this is normal.
I have been monitoring this for a week or so  but cannot find leaks anywhere near the pipes/connections.
There are no signs of oil on the dipstick or oil filler cap.. just clean regular oil.
I have  read a little about this and a lot say it could be the water pump.. now when I start the car from cold  I can hear a slight rattle.. but it goes within a minute or so or even less, but the rest of the day nothing will be heard when firing up.
Just wondered if you good people had any pointers.
Thanks In advance
Dave.

will get back to you in a few days on hols internet connection  is poor lol.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2014, 07:07:16 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

05omegav6

Re: coolant leak
« Reply #1 on: 30 September 2014, 07:53:28 »

Heater bypass valve or radiator drain plug :y

carswaps

• West Yorkshire
    • Omega MV6 3.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 September 2014, 08:04:54 »

Heater bypass valve or radiator drain plug :y

Yes my heater drain plug was also leaking.
I just tightened it with a pair of pliers (be careful though as its just plastic) then I got a short piece of rubber pipe, blanked it with a short bolt and jubilee clip then put it over the drain outlet and tightened with another jubilee clip.........job done  :y
you can see the drain tap (orange) and outlet here (passenger side front)
Omega MV6 3.2 Estate

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2014, 08:34:41 »

I had a similar loss of coolant and finally traced it to a tiny leak at the base of the radiator, Also a 2003 car,

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2014, 10:54:47 »

Check the cap and neck of the coolant bottle. Not unknown for the cap seal to fail, or the neck of the bottle to get hairline cracks, either case the system doesn't seal correctly so the pressure is lower and the system will "boil" earlier.. this is not "boiling" as in a kettle "boiling over" but in the Physics sense such that the water will evaporate much faster and easier at the lower pressure, so cause an apparent loss with no sign of a leak ..

omega3000

« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 14:29:16 »

Hello all,   Vauxhall Omega 2.6 2003 model auto saloon.
I have noticed the car seems to be leaking coolant more regular than normal.
on my last trip I topped up the filler tank and completed a round trip of approx. 500 miles, upon my return the filler tank was approximately 50% full.. I don't think this is normal.
I have been monitoring this for a week or so  but cannot find leaks anywhere near the pipes/connections.
There are no signs of oil on the dipstick or oil filler cap.. just clean regular oil.
I have  read a little about this and a lot say it could be the water pump.. now when I start the car from cold  I can hear a slight rattle.. but it goes within a minute or so or even less, but the rest of the day nothing will be heard when firing up.
Just wondered if you good people had any pointers.
Thanks In advance
Dave.

will get back to you in a few days on hols internet connection  is poor lol.

The coolant bridge maybe ? Weeping then burning off so no trace of coolant . Pressure test the coolant system  :y

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 18:38:00 »

hi all, I seemed to have found the leak, near my  radiator top up reservoir there is a  pump ..think its a heater valve with 2 pipes running into the bulk head behind the steering wheel.  I looked closely after leaving the engine running for a good while ...and the upper pipe that connects to the heater I think at the bulk head is leaking... the water leaking is  cold even though the engine has been well run or regardless of how long I run the car.

does this make sense to anyone?

A pressure test seems to be the best way.

Thanks all for your input.
« Last Edit: 30 September 2014, 18:39:46 by egcc »
Vauxhall Omega  2.6 CDXI Auto 2003 Saloon https://en-gb.facebook.com/TheDeadXiii

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 September 2014, 18:48:30 »

If it's leaking at that pump you can remove the pump and join the pipes together.

The purpose of that pump is to circulate coolant around the heater matrix after the engine is turned off if you select this from the climate panel - in other words, you can have the car still heating the interior with the engine off. No one I know ever uses this function as a) no one sits in there car for no reason in the winter and b) it flattens the battery pretty quick having the fan blowing!

If it's leaking at the bulkhead matrix connection then you may need to invest in a new hose as the snap fit connection may have failed or I believe some people have cut the snap fit connection off and pushed the pipe directly on and secured with a jubilee clip.

It's worth shining a torch at the HBV with the engine running and different temperatures select on the climate panel to be 100% sure it's not leaking - this is a very common failure.

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 01 October 2014, 07:05:38 »

Would the water be cold though? Must admit I've never checked but surely if it's coolant there would be some residual heat at the very least from those bulk head pipes?

...sounds odd to me, more like condensation from ac or something, or water from a scuttle leak maybe? :-\

Is the water defo coolant? Any colour or taste of bitter sweet? Does it have anti freeze in it?

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2014, 18:31:25 »

Hi, Sorry just back  from our hols.. the car is in for a water pressure test tomorrow, will update when I know more.

Thanks again  ;)

egcc

• manchester
  • Omega 2.6 2003 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 October 2014, 12:05:57 »

Water Pressure test show upper matrix hose had a fault, so nothing too bad.
Thanks all for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.