Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cam belt dust?  (Read 4518 times)

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • 2 Omega Caravans 3.2 V6
    • View Profile
Re: Cam belt dust?
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2019, 13:11:52 »

I wonder if there are some defective kits  :-\
there was another recent reported near failure a few weeks back ,can't remember who
is the make of belt and rollers readable Jan Suhr ? :-\

I can check and report back when I do the change in a few days. Have just ordered the parts and expect them on Thursday.
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2019, 13:18:04 »

I wonder if there are some defective kits  :-\
there was another recent reported near failure a few weeks back ,can't remember who
is the make of belt and rollers readable Jan Suhr ? :-\

I can check and report back when I do the change in a few days. Have just ordered the parts and expect them on Thursday.
great , thank you
would be helpful to know what went wrong (defective kit,play or stiff bearing etc ) for future reference  :y

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 September 2019, 01:25:33 »

is the spacer missing from behind the middle idler pulley ?
glad you caught it before it went bang  :y
I too was wondering about that.

I also note that the lower idler roller looks like the eccentric adjustable version used on X25XE/X30XE. However this engine is a Y32SE and these did not have the lower eccentric adjustment. Nothing wrong with using the eccentric, arguably it's a better arrangement, provided of course that the tensioner and rollers are correctly adjusted.

It might well be that somebody swapped the tensioner and idler roller from an earlier X30XE kit onto the Y32SE backplate. Again nothing wrong with doing so provided you don't forget the spacer and use the correct bolt.

Looking at the middle idler roller it seems to me possible that it might never have been correctly correctly adjusted. Or it's moved. Perhaps I'm completely wrong but I would have expected the corner directly above the arrow line to be somewhere around 9 o'clock, depending on wear. It looks to be around 6 o'clock.

So we maybe have a missing spacer washer and incorrect adjustment. Makes me wonder if the person who did this had the proper locking kit or understood how to use it?

And since you asked the question. Any decent kit for these engines will use SKF or INA bearings. Contitech, Gates, SKF kits are all widely availabale and good quality. A number of members simply buy two of these AC Delco kits. This obsolete kit doesn't include the lower idler roller so you scavenge one from the tensioner/idler backplate in the 2nd kit and ditch the remaining unwanted parts. In the UK it works out less than half the cost of a full kit. And one kit is still less than the cost of a separate lower idler on it's own.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2019, 01:32:37 by Enceladus »

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 September 2019, 19:10:56 »

Hello, I got the parts today, a few days late but now I can fix this.

It looks like they have put in the wrong parts. This is a X26SE of the late ones and that is the belt kit I ordered. The parts that was on the car is apparently wrong. It is a SKF kit so nothing wrong there if it had been the correct one. The tensioners didn't have any tension in them and the cams was a few mm of position, a bit ahead. It was a hassle to get the locks in place when it was this much off.

Now it will be fine with new correct parts.

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 September 2019, 19:47:29 »

I suspect that instead of swapping the tensioner roller and upper idler roller onto the correct back-plate for the engine, somebody just put the entire earlier back-plate assembly on.

Please post a picture of the lower idler roller that came in your new kit? And did it come with a spacer washer?

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 September 2019, 20:11:15 »

I think that they just ordered the wrong kit.

Yes the new idler came with a washer.

Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 September 2019, 23:38:47 »

From memory the v late V6 use a “6b” backplate, but ultimately you should be able to see if the backplate is right or not by how it aligns with the rear cambelt cover.

I’ve seen the dust issues scores of times, including on cars that I’ve set up bang on correct, and changed again 40k later.

Just clean it all up, fit a new cambelt kit, triple check it’s set up correctly, and forget it :y

Jan Suhr

• Intermediate Member
  • Nyköping, Sweden
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 September 2019, 07:36:05 »

From memory the v late V6 use a “6b” backplate, but ultimately you should be able to see if the backplate is right or not by how it aligns with the rear cambelt cover.

I’ve seen the dust issues scores of times, including on cars that I’ve set up bang on correct, and changed again 40k later.

Just clean it all up, fit a new cambelt kit, triple check it’s set up correctly, and forget it :y

Yes it is the 6B kit, now it is alright and aligns perfectly.

I'll keep an eye on the dust situation to be sure.
Jan Suhr
Stockholm, Sweden
www.protouring.se
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.