Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Pensioners....get yer wallets out  (Read 12634 times)

aaronjb

2boxerdogs

Re: Pensioners....get yer wallets out
« Reply #46 on: 10 May 2018, 13:54:19 »

In reply to where would I go probably Australia got several relatives over there who went in the seventies all done very well & enjoy a great lifestyle, once again that is just my opinion not something I wish to argue over.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 10 May 2018, 16:57:44 »

a real-life young, scantily clad Jenny Agutter..
I saw Railway Children for the first time ever at the weekend.

Which one.. the 1968 TV version when she was 15 or 16 (just), or the 1970 film version when she was definitely legal?  :P ;D

Maybe I'm odd but I always fancied Dinah Sheridan more than Jenny Agutter in 1970. :)

I preferred her daughter Jenny Hanley. :-*
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 10 May 2018, 18:51:09 »

a real-life young, scantily clad Jenny Agutter..
I saw Railway Children for the first time ever at the weekend.

Which one.. the 1968 TV version when she was 15 or 16 (just), or the 1970 film version when she was definitely legal?  :P ;D
The legal one ;D.

The film was shit though.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 10 May 2018, 20:23:17 »

I'd vote Dinah Sheridan too.I thought when I saw Genevieve that she was beautiful and last time I saw her on TV although a deal older she still is :y

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 11 May 2018, 00:28:23 »

I'd vote Dinah Sheridan too.I thought when I saw Genevieve that she was beautiful and last time I saw her on TV although a deal older she still is :y

Was as she died in 2012 aged 92 (b: 1920). :'(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 11 May 2018, 06:44:33 »

Total load of tosh, they paid in so deserve pension and care.

True enough, but on the flip side I think most would agree things got pretty well out of hand regarding a lot of baby boomers. Take as an example my friend's father, early retired from his police desk job on his 50th birthday, full final salary pension, index linked, all that jazz. Even starting work at 16, he's been educated by the state, at work 34yrs and will probably live another 34yrs at the state's expense.

Hard to swallow when your taxes are paying his £40-50k/yr at the same time you're being told that your pension age is going up, you need to work more hours than your parents' generation, housing to income multiples are higher than they've ever been. Oh and you're lazy and entitled.  ::)

So It's more about they got a good deal and we didn't so I'm pissed off and now we should take it all away from them. If he'd paid in for 34 years does he not deserve it? I mean if that is the system you are presented with you can't then turn round and say oh you're living too long we need the money back, the government and the corporations knew what the system was they can't oversee it, then penalise people for simply using it; it's like the diesel scandal, penalise people for what at the time they were told by the government, or more like, encourage, to do. Here's the reason our pensions are disappearing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALlzClE67os
« Last Edit: 11 May 2018, 06:58:36 by grifter »

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11 May 2018, 09:34:45 »

Total load of tosh, they paid in so deserve pension and care.

True enough, but on the flip side I think most would agree things got pretty well out of hand regarding a lot of baby boomers. Take as an example my friend's father, early retired from his police desk job on his 50th birthday, full final salary pension, index linked, all that jazz. Even starting work at 16, he's been educated by the state, at work 34yrs and will probably live another 34yrs at the state's expense.

Hard to swallow when your taxes are paying his £40-50k/yr at the same time you're being told that your pension age is going up, you need to work more hours than your parents' generation, housing to income multiples are higher than they've ever been. Oh and you're lazy and entitled.  ::)

So It's more about they got a good deal and we didn't so I'm pissed off and now we should take it all away from them. If he'd paid in for 34 years does he not deserve it? I mean if that is the system you are presented with you can't then turn round and say oh you're living too long we need the money back, the government and the corporations knew what the system was they can't oversee it, then penalise people for simply using it; it's like the diesel scandal, penalise people for what at the time they were told by the government, or more like, encourage, to do. Here's the reason our pensions are disappearing:

The problem with that argument is that it's the people who are now benefiting who voted in the governments which passed the laws that say future generations must pay for the current generations wishes. Those future generations are now realising they won't/can't get the same - free university education, generous FS pensions, retiring at 50 etc - and are beginning to resent the previous generations who voted in things for themselves that are (and always were) un-affordable.

Blaming it on the government is disingenuous - blame it on the people who elected those governments and their crack pot ideas who not unsurprisingly turn out to be the people who are benefiting the most. Quelle surprise.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11 May 2018, 09:51:43 »

Yep, any notion of a "pot" that people have "paid in" to has long since been sold off, privatised or spent on propping up ridiculous public sector pension schemes.

Benefits now and in the future are going to be limited to what current taxation can support. We might end up with a fairer system once all of the defined benefit schemes promised based on the assumption that the 80's will continue forever have paid out. Until then, it'll be unfair on current tax payers.

It will be a system whereby you take responsibility for yourself, however. Not sure how that's going to pan out for the millennials... ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2018, 10:07:22 »

No, its more that, they got a good deal (fair enough, as you say its the deal they are presented with), but in the current climate where savings have to be made, those savings are being predominantly made at one end of the spectrum. For example handing out state benefits to millionaires (buss pas, winter fuel allowance, state pension etc etc). If I proposed we hand out state benefits to working age millionaires, people would think I was bonkers, but because they're retired...

And as for being the whiny generation, look at the stink and fuss that the WASPY women created when someone actioned an aspect of equality that they didn't want.  ::)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2018, 10:16:12 »

For example handing out state benefits to millionaires (buss pas, winter fuel allowance, state pension etc etc).

On that narrow point which few disagree with, the issue is coming up with a system that doesn't cost more to implement than it would save.

And as for being the whiny generation, look at the stink and fuss that the WASPY women created when someone actioned an aspect of equality that they didn't want.  ::)

They didn't create a stink. Anyone that had half a brain cell realised that what they were demanding was barking mad and ignored them. A few MP's desparate for votes gave half hearted support and then crawled back under their rocks after the faux outrage dissipated.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 11 May 2018, 11:38:09 »

Would the south eastern US count?  :-\

Florida? Count as what? Snowflake or non snowflake?  ???

I think the term snowflake was invented in the US, no?  :-\
I was thinking Kentucky/Tennessee/Arkansas/Georgia would be less Snowflakey than, say, the entire West Coast...
Onanists always think outside the box.

aaronjb

« Reply #57 on: 11 May 2018, 11:55:09 »

I was thinking Kentucky/Tennessee/Arkansas/Georgia would be less Snowflakey than, say, the entire West Coast...

If you can hear banjos, you're safe from the snowflakes*

*Other risks may be involved.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 11 May 2018, 11:55:46 »

Texas probably doesn't even register on the Snowflakey Scale.  ;D

As Tibo pointed out, you can have a good life in Australia.  I lived there for a bit in the 1990's and often wonder why I didn't stay. However, it was a nanny state even 20 years ago, much more so than here.  So I think the land of Oz will be high up on the Snowflakey Scale!  ;)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 11 May 2018, 13:03:56 »

Back on topic - I have always ben a firm believer that all state benefits should be means tested.
Its supposed to be a welfare state to help those who cannot help themselves, once we had universal; benefits then it became a way of buying votes with other peoples money.
The only excuse that could be found for this, at the time, was that it would punish poor people because of the stigma around claiming benefits, so they could end up freezing or starving because they were too proud to claim.
Imo, there is no stigma whatsoever around claiming benefits these days, in fact its a badge of honour for quite a few, so that excuse is gone.
The political problem with doing the right thing is huge though.  This was demonstrated when the coalition introduced a cap on benefits per household, which equated to approx. 1.5 times the average wage, the noise was deafening. Which is more than Ive ever earned in my life.
Cries of "taking food out of childrens mouths", "driving the poor deeper into poverty" etc. etc.  ::)
It takes a politician with big balls to do the right thing these days, and they are as common as a sack full of hens teeth, buried in a mound of rocking horse sh1t.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.