Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1995 2ltr 16V CONTITECH Timing belt problem  (Read 1983 times)

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • 2.6 CD Saloon 2ltr omega
    • View Profile
1995 2ltr 16V CONTITECH Timing belt problem
« on: 05 February 2019, 17:20:43 »

Can anyone tell me why the Contitech timing belt CT870, which came in the full Contitech kit CT870K1, will not fit on my Omega 2ltr, the kit is the right one for my model car. It is as if it is too small, the tensioner is set as it should be, Allen key piece at 7oclock pointer by waterpump. If I pull the right side as looking at front of engine tight, it seems as if the belt sits on the peaks on the cam but they are timed correct. If I fit it as per instructions clockwise, it will not go on, as too tight. It is driving me mad.
Drives 1995 2.0ltr CD Estate.  2002 2.6 CD saloon

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 1995 2ltr 16V CONTITECH Timing belt problem
« Reply #1 on: 05 February 2019, 17:48:49 »

I just Googled CT870K1, eBay suggests this is for 1.8 petrol?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 February 2019, 17:52:32 »

Have you changed the water pump? If so, is it correctly positioned?

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 February 2019, 18:21:49 »

Here is what contitech say for that kit:- http://aam-europe.contitech.de/pages/pic/produkte.cshtml?lg=en&applg=en&ArtikelID=CT870K1

In vehicles it says opel omega x20xev.

The lug of waterpump is inline with the lug on engine, roughly 11oclock. Allen key part is 7oclock

cams
timing marks
« Last Edit: 05 February 2019, 18:34:53 by addy »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 February 2019, 21:44:26 »

I'm sorry, I can't find a picture, it was some while ago I changed a cambelt on a 2 litre. Like you I found the belt seemed too short. Then I discovered I had the water pump, with off centre pulley, incorrectly located. The pump ear should have been aligned with a cut out in the back plate, at about 9 o'clock. When relocated, the belt fitted well.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 February 2019, 22:28:01 »

I fitted the tensioner, and read on Gates site that it should be set to 7 oclock on the allen key part, with pointer over to stop on left, before fitting the belt, otherwise it can cause problems when the engine is running once tensioned is that correct? Read the how to in maintenance for head gasket and belt change, it just says set the tensioner adjustment to the minimum (fully anti clockwise). Locate the teeth of the cambelt into the crank sprocket etc.

How did you find out about the pump?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 February 2019, 23:00:51 »

It's in Haynes, 3.5, refitting coolant pump, 6, c)
says 'The lug on the side of the coolant pump flange must be aligned with the corresponding recess in the cylinder block.

In Haynes 2B.7.8, there is a picture giving an idea of where the lug locates at about 10 o'clock.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 February 2019, 09:35:49 »

pictures showing pump in place and how tensioner is set, ready for belt to go on, I moved the allen key part slightly and the belt is on.I haven't moved the key to move the pointer over to right hand side yet, ready for first 2 rotations of crank. Is the allen key part correct at 7oclock for fitting belt, and 5oclock when set correct?

Crank is at TDC, as I made at note of where it was for removing and replacing head and cams and how much to bring it back upto TDC.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 February 2019, 10:13:10 »

Water pump looks right, you say belt is now on, and engine is at TDC. Now you have to apply some tension at the tensioner, take a deep breath, remove the cam sprocket clamp, and turn the engine 3 rotations . The tensioner pointer will move about as you do this, this is normal. Then, with engine set at TDC again by the bottom pulley markers aligned, you check that the cam pulleys markers are also lined up.
 If so, great, you merely set the tensioner and the job is done. If not, probably one notch out, you remove the belt and try again.

addy

• County Durham.  UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 February 2019, 10:29:37 »

I haven't removed locking tool so they are still in position as in the first set of pics I put up, showing cam sprockets and camlobe positions.

Do I remove camlock before setting pointer over to right, or after it? also Will the tension be slightly hard when adjusting over to the right? Sorry for questions just want to make sure I have directions right before I do something.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2019, 10:32:37 by addy »

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 February 2019, 13:23:31 »

I haven't removed locking tool so they are still in position as in the first set of pics I put up, showing cam sprockets and camlobe positions.

Do I remove camlock before setting pointer over to right, or after it? also Will the tension be slightly hard when adjusting over to the right? Sorry for questions just want to make sure I have directions right before I do something.
Can't see it much matters. I should remove the cam lock and the crank lock first, then tighten the tensioner, then turn the crankshaft three times.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 February 2019, 19:17:51 »

Can't see it much matters. I should remove the cam lock and the crank lock first, then tighten the tensioner, then turn the crankshaft SIX times.

Fixed for accuracy  ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 February 2019, 19:25:56 »

Also Addy,did you compare the old belt with the New one for length/ number of teeth before fitting it ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 February 2019, 11:13:59 »

When you put the belt on the left side should be taut and all the slack on the tensioner side. And yes when you add tension and move the pointer all the way over to the right side, you are slightly but deliberately over tensioning the belt. You can then remove the cam lock and rotate the engine by hand twice, four or even six times to settle the belt. Assuming the timing marks are still correct then you release enough tension to move the pointer back to the new belt marker and lock it in position. Then rotate the engine twice to double check.

Otherwise remove the belt and start again.

When rotating the engine it is always in multiples of two full rotations aka 720°.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.