Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Loss??  (Read 3401 times)

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Loss??
« Reply #15 on: 04 August 2014, 21:25:37 »

This is a strange one. Am watching this with interest.

Re breathers I always remember that the big 'Y' pipe goes on the outside pipes. The left middle (as you look at engine) is the pipe on left hand of breather box and the right one for the right middle (if that makes sense lol)

Chris, re your experiment on your amended breather box. How does it work that you increased oil consumption? I just cant work out why increasing the diameter of a small pipe would see increased consumption  :-\ Presumably it was being burned in the c. chamber?  :-\ Therefore you'd have had blue smoke? Just trying to understand for my own learning  :)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
  • Bromsgrove, West Midlands
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 August 2014, 21:26:34 »

Might do :-\

What mileage is on the car, and how many miles is it doing each week :-\

Mileage is currently 134k
Cover approx 300miles a week.

AKA - Mr Bracket

05omegav6

« Reply #17 on: 04 August 2014, 21:27:57 »

Any trace of oil on the bellhousing where it meets the sump :-\

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 August 2014, 21:35:03 »

Does it consume more oil when you utilise the full rev range - as in motorway runs with the throttle halfway or more?

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 August 2014, 21:42:27 »

Ref oil on the bell housing, I couldn't say at this time as not looked. I did have a major oil leak due to both cam covers leaking when I bought her, so not sure if that will give a false indication??

Regarding consumption of oil, again, not sure tbh. I use the M42 every day to work so can be doing 70 one day or 25 the next. I usually go through a 5 litre can in about 6-8 weeks on average.  :(
AKA - Mr Bracket

chrisgixer

« Reply #20 on: 04 August 2014, 21:52:04 »

Re breathers I always remember that the big 'Y' pipe goes on the outside pipes. The left middle (as you look at engine) is the pipe on left hand of breather box and the right one for the right middle (if that makes sense lol)

Chris, re your experiment on your amended breather box. How does it work that you increased oil consumption? I just cant work out why increasing the diameter of a small pipe would see increased consumption  :-\ Presumably it was being burned in the c. chamber?  :-\ Therefore you'd have had blue smoke? Just trying to understand for my own learning  :)

Ok so pipes on the back of plenum.
Two y shaped pipes go to the big nipple on the breather box by cylinder 5, this is unrestricted.
The bigger of the two middle pipes, iirc, goes to the small nipple ion the breather box behind cylinder 5.

It's this small nipple that has the restriction of a 0.5mm hole, or whatever size it is. That whole limits the amount of vapour that the plenum vacuum can pull from the crank case, presumably just enough to hold it a few psi just below atmospheric pressure. Make it bigger, and the plenum pulls more vacuum and hence more vapour. This is necessary to stop blow by combustion gasses pressurising the crank case.

Vapour removed equals oil removed from the crank case and burnt via combustion of the engine.

I haven't fully understood why the unrestricted y shape breather outlet doesn't remove even more oil, but I presume that set of pipe work goes to different holes in the plenum with a different vac rate. Probably pre throttle.

What I have understood though, is don't opps about with it ;D

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 August 2014, 21:56:59 »

Ok so pipes on the back of plenum.
Two y shaped pipes go to the big nipple on the breather box by cylinder 5, this is unrestricted.
The bigger of the two middle pipes, iirc, goes to the small nipple ion the breather box behind cylinder 5.

It's this small nipple that has the restriction of a 0.5mm hole, or whatever size it is. That whole limits the amount of vapour that the plenum vacuum can pull from the crank case, presumably just enough to hold it a few psi just below atmospheric pressure. Make it bigger, and the plenum pulls more vacuum and hence more vapour. This is necessary to stop blow by combustion gasses pressurising the crank case.

Vapour removed equals oil removed from the crank case and burnt via combustion of the engine.

I haven't fully understood why the unrestricted y shape breather outlet doesn't remove even more oil, but I presume that set of pipe work goes to different holes in the plenum with a different vac rate. Probably pre throttle.

What I have understood though, is don't opps about with it ;D

;D

That does make perfect sense mate. Is the nipple on the right of the breather box a bigger diameter? I thought they were the same roughly. Either way I was just pondering if this scenario could happen if Viper had got the two pipes the wrong way round.....?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

chrisgixer

« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2014, 00:59:47 »

Dunno, but summats not right somewhere. Maybe one of the y pipes on the inside nipple...? :-\

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05 August 2014, 16:50:49 »

Just been and checked the pipes on the back of the plenum. They are in the correct position.

I need to take the plenum off anyway and change the HBV, so might find something amiss then. Not holding my breath though, lol.
AKA - Mr Bracket

blackviper90210

• Omega Baron
    • 03 3.2 Elite Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23 August 2014, 20:58:34 »

Evening all,

Done a few long distance runs recently and it seems to lose oil quicker than just the usual trips to and from work.
Just noticed the one of the bag pipes going to the TB is split quite badly. Could this be a possible cause to the loss of oil? :-X
AKA - Mr Bracket

chrisgixer

« Reply #25 on: 23 August 2014, 22:24:31 »

Doubt it, but it won't do the fuel trims any good. Air leaks are baaaad.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 August 2014, 19:58:32 »

I am fascinated by Chris's experiment with the drilled out small breather, but it makes sense. As on the 4 cylinder engine, there is one breather ahead of the throttle and one behind it. At idle, with the throttle closed, i.e. no vacuum ahead of the throttle but hard vacuum behind it, the small breather sucks out the crankcase gases. To avoid it sucking out too much it sucks through a small hole. With throttle open there is less vacuum behind the throttle, but a little vacuum ahead of the throttle and downstream of the air filter, so larger pipes and a larger hole in the breather box (on the V6) are needed to suck out crankcase gases. On the 4 cylinder the rocker cover replaces the breather box.

By drilling out the small breather box pipe Chris allowed idling hard vacuum to suck lots of crankcase gases out of the engine, including some oil spray. This caused excessive oil consumption.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 26 August 2014, 20:53:58 »

Evening all,

Done a few long distance runs recently and it seems to lose oil quicker than just the usual trips to and from work.
Just noticed the one of the bag pipes going to the TB is split quite badly. Could this be a possible cause to the loss of oil? :-X

Have you sorted the problem yet? I'm local to you as you know and thanks for the loudspeaker. If I can help you find the problem, I'm happy to try.

allen25

• Worcestershire
    • Omega 2.6 V6 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26 August 2014, 20:55:19 »

Sorry, typed in the wrong place, but happy to help if needed.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.