Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.2 V6 Oil Capacity  (Read 6329 times)

05omegav6

Re: 3.2 V6 Oil Capacity
« Reply #15 on: 21 August 2014, 23:11:51 »

Whereas you can change the spin on with barely a drop escaping ::)

chrisgixer

« Reply #16 on: 21 August 2014, 23:19:06 »

Really? Teach TB that trick could you. When ever I see him change the (rusty bullet ?) oil he ends up drinking most of it ;D

Iirc rusty has spin on, superior Elite has paper.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21 August 2014, 23:37:22 »

Apart from the tendency for the alloy cap to glue itself on if oil changes are left too long, there really is no difference.

I'm gonna give up before I start I think.  :(  ;D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 21 August 2014, 23:39:29 »

Yeah, and there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the satisfaction of spinning a nice new filter on until it mates with the block... mmm yeahhh  :D
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 22 August 2014, 01:00:51 »

Yeah, and there's a certain je ne sais quoi about the satisfaction of spinning a nice new filter on until it mates with the block... mmm yeahhh  :D

Have to agree with that! When they first thread up and you they spin a few turns on their own. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 22 August 2014, 01:26:29 »

Really? Teach TB that trick could you. When ever I see him change the (rusty bullet ?) oil he ends up drinking most of it ;D

Iirc rusty has spin on, superior Elite has paper.
Thing is, with the spin on you can have the new filter, seal greased ready, to hand so that you simply spin the old one off, quick wipe of a rag and spin the new one on. Job jobbed.

Cartridge type, eventually get the cap unscrewed, whilst it drains down your arm, remove old filter, clean cap, replace old seal with new oiled one, fit new filter, get back under car, lie down in the puddle of old oil, clean the housing and reassemble. That sounds like fun... Not ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #21 on: 22 August 2014, 08:19:08 »

Ah, but you assume the new spin on will actually spin on. I've had new spin on filters, Mann and other cheap shite admittedly , where the filter threads are buggered from new.

Usually having had to puncture the thing with a screw driver to get it off for want if the correct tool. Where as the canister  cap is the original thread and has no need for any other tool than a socket to remove it. :)

05omegav6

« Reply #22 on: 22 August 2014, 09:26:28 »

Only use genuine filters, and never had to butcher a spin on that I have fitted to remove it...

That said I never had a problem with the cannister type... My issues with it being the mess and the faff of unscrewing/refitting the cap. Not everyone has an air ratchet ;D

chrisgixer

« Reply #23 on: 22 August 2014, 10:31:21 »

What do you use to undo them? ;)

05omegav6

« Reply #24 on: 22 August 2014, 12:19:09 »

Spin on by hand, cannister half inch ratchet :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2014, 16:20:04 »

When folk bring me their cars to do services and I've worked on them before the canister ones are great cos I know I can just spin them off by hand.

However, I've had some that are done up so tight and with nothing to grip on to have been a pain getting off. And yeah the screw driver method works but I don't like it.

Why do some people tighten them to within an inch of breaking?  :-\
RIP Paul Lovejoy

05omegav6

« Reply #26 on: 22 August 2014, 16:35:48 »

Spin on filter fitted/removed by hand,  cartridge cap with a half inch ratchet :y
Edited for clarity :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22 August 2014, 16:45:09 »

When folk bring me their cars to do services and I've worked on them before the canister ones are great cos I know I can just spin them off by hand.

However, I've had some that are done up so tight and with nothing to grip on to have been a pain getting off. And yeah the screw driver method works but I don't like it.

Why do some people tighten them to within an inch of breaking:-\

Having just done my neighbour's VW Golf, some spanner monkey had done the spin-on up so tight that the welded nut on the end of the case sheared off, and I had difficulty getting it off with the chain wrench, and nearly had to resort to the screwdriver for the first time in xx years! Also the sump plug (30Nm) was on so tight I had to use an extended torque wrench. How the thread wasn't sheared I don't understand. >:( :y

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22 August 2014, 16:52:23 »

Why do some people tighten them to within an inch of breaking:-\

Having just done my neighbour's VW Golf, some spanner monkey had done the spin-on up so tight that the welded nut on the end of the case sheared off, and I had difficulty getting it off with the chain wrench, and nearly had to resort to the screwdriver for the first time in xx years! Also the sump plug (30Nm) was on so tight I had to use an extended torque wrench. How the thread wasn't sheared I don't understand. >:( :y

I swear they must use a buzz gun  >:(

My mums Ford was on so tight I took it over to 4x4 and we ended up chiselling it round it was that tight  >:(
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega3000

« Reply #29 on: 22 August 2014, 18:10:33 »

Ive used one of these for over 20 yrs to remove tight filters :)

Chain strap
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.