Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: my cat revs just before it stops  (Read 1222 times)

charlieboy1

• Rochester Medway Kent
    • 2.5 V6 Omega Auto Saloon
    • View Profile
my cat revs just before it stops
« on: 29 August 2014, 07:52:32 »

I wonder if anyone can help I have an omega B 1995 2.5 auto saloon. when I brake just before the car stops it revs like it wants to take off.

I have change the idle control valve and also the egr but this still happens.

Can anyone help?

minifreek

• Omega Knight
  • Wigan
    • 2.4 V70 & 94 Mini SPi
    • View Profile
Re: my cat revs just before it stops
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2014, 11:01:02 »

Did you change the ICV for a new item or a 2nd hand 'cleaned' item...?

It does however sound like the ICV is playing up, but it could be the throttle body needs a clean along with the breathers too...

It also sounds to me like the cam sensor is starting to show signs of wear/use, not expensive to replace. But when they do 'go' they usually put the engine into limp mode...
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F...

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2014, 13:25:49 »

Try lifting off the throttle and immediately put the 'box into neutral......does the engine rev now? If yes then look at the throttle body, IACV and look for air leaks.
But if the engine returns cleanly to idle when you do this and it only revs when you brake then the problem could be to do with your brake servo or the servo vacuum line.

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 29 August 2014, 19:08:32 »

It does however sound like the ICV is playing up, but it could be the throttle body needs a clean along with the breathers too...

It also sounds to me like the cam sensor is starting to show signs of wear/use, not expensive to replace. But when they do 'go' they usually put the engine into limp mode...

IMO .  . cam sensor failure on a V6 is  almost unheard of

but it is  common on the 4 pots .         But OP has a 2.5
« Last Edit: 29 August 2014, 19:12:16 by Essex Big Al »

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 29 August 2014, 21:43:25 »

Agreed Al, but . . .  when we first got our 2.6V6 it kept stalling, but restarted straight away - under warranty crank sensor was replaced by Vx main dealer, no change.  Code was for cam sensor (Vx dealer also said they were unlikely to go), so they fitted new cam sensor - problem cured ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2014, 06:40:51 »

Agreed Al, but . . .  when we first got our 2.6V6 it kept stalling, but restarted straight away - under warranty crank sensor was replaced by Vx main dealer, no change.  Code was for cam sensor (Vx dealer also said they were unlikely to go), so they fitted new cam sensor - problem cured ;)

As said Colin  . . . Almost unheard of  . . . .     trust it to be you to be the one who had to have it replaced LOL ! ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2014, 10:12:44 »

Had to change one on a loaner 3.2 from Josh... wasn't running right and threw up a cam sensor code, swapped with second hand and it was fine thereafter  :y

Unlike the V6 crank sensor, which hardly ever throws the correct code, the cam sensor code means the cam sensor is toast :y
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.