Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oil leak/engine over heat/suspected head gasket help needed 2.5 Elite V6 (2000)  (Read 1831 times)

sg61

• SW11
    • Omega Elite V6 Auto
    • View Profile

please can anyone help/advise - as I'd like to keep my Omega going for another year or two and fear the worst!
Engine overheats when driving in town and hates being idle. Oil is leaking underneath and the garage wont touch it as its a suspected head gasket repair on top of that.... its a little old, but I love it! :D

New POD

• Miseryside
    • NEED MV6
    • View Profile

please can anyone help/advise - as I'd like to keep my Omega going for another year or two and fear the worst!
Engine overheats when driving in town and hates being idle. Oil is leaking underneath and the garage wont touch it as its a suspected head gasket repair on top of that.... its a little old, but I love it! :D

They don't leak OIL they just mark their spot. 

Joke over.  Oil leaks tend to be one of 3 things (or so I'm told by the massive amount of information in the guides)

The  rocket cover gaskets leak, because the breather system gunks up and the crank case pressure has nowhere to go. 

(due to cheap oil and short journeys and age)

Some oil filter housings leak (there is dispute about the best fix, but I fixed mine by going back the an earlier production standard.

They leak from crank position sensor and oil cooler pipe too - but less common.

They leak coolant for fun, hence so that might cause over heating, but also radiators block up so there's no cooling.  I'm loosing coolant myself. Not much, but I top it up every week and it's going somewhere.

The reasons for a poor idle could be many things.  Mine needed new coil packs, and the oil in the plug wells was mixing with water dripping from the scuttle creating a mayo under the coil pack.

Head gasket is often diagnosed because the oil filler cap often has mayo on it, which  would suggest water in the oil.  It's cheap oil, short journeys and condensation in most cases.

Someone will be along to ask you if this garage has done a compression test.  Problem with that is that the plug holes are hard to get to, so a garage who can't be arsed is going to tell you the worst, and hope you go away.

I'd suggest a different garage to start with, but there might be a member nearby who can look closer for you

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile

Is it losing coolant ?    in other words are you constantly topping up header tank ?

Can you see a visible leak anywhere?

Are the fans at back of the radiator switching on & running when you get to the so said "overheating " ?

Oil leaks are common on these  . . & usually easily fixed.but lets concentrate on cooling first .

Reply to these 2 points first & we can progress from there   :y
« Last Edit: 12 July 2018, 18:59:19 by Alnico Blue »
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

sg61

• SW11
    • Omega Elite V6 Auto
    • View Profile

just want to say thanks chaps!
as I feared - head gasket gone and failed MOT dismally
going to scrap it
Thanks again :)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

just want to say thanks chaps!
as I feared - head gasket gone and failed MOT dismally
going to scrap it
Thanks again :)

None of what you described indicates head gasket, I bet it's fine.  :)

sg61

• SW11
    • Omega Elite V6 Auto
    • View Profile

the garage man did a test and the water went blue  :(
I wish it was ..... fine that is!
« Last Edit: 17 September 2018, 16:24:48 by sg61 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile

the garage man did a test and the water went blue  :(
I wish it was ..... fine that is!

What about a compression test? That's only sure way to test, these sniffer/coolant tests are not reliable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.