Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel costs  (Read 4162 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Fuel costs
« on: 31 May 2018, 21:09:25 »

Been doing some interesting (to me at least :) ) cost calculations....  as I've noticed the prices of petrol and diesel in RWB has been creeping up steadily over the past weeks from 121.9 p/l in February to 136.9 p/l (petrol) and 124.9 p/l to 139.9 (diesel) today, but for once, the price of LPG has remained steady at 58.5 p/l. I've also done a good few miles in that time, both solo and with the tin-tent on the back.

February 7 2018 to May 31 2018. Total mileage in the period : 1997

LPG used 556.57 litres, costing £325.59. The average cost of fuel per mile on LPG = 16.30 p/m

The estimated average cost of fuel per mile on petrol  = 28.89 p/m

Average savings per mile = 12.59 p /mile or 43.58% !!

Estimated cash saving £576.93 (est) - £325.59 (actual) = £251.34    :)

LPG used over the period = 556.57 litres = 122.59 gallons.  Average consumption therefore = 16.29 mpg (LPG)

Best consumption (solo) 19.98 mpg (LPG). Worst consumption (towing) 13.75 mpg (LPG)

Given the present cost of diesel in RWB is 139.9 p/ltr, and petrol is 136.9 p/ltr, that works out at £6.35 a gallon for diesel and £6.22 a gallon for petrol.

At 16.30 pence /mile (average) on LPG that is the equivalent of 38.9 mpg on diesel and  38.2 mpg on petrol .. not bad for a 3.2 litre !!!  :)

The average "solo" consumption is 19.02 mpg (LPG), which equates to 13.96 pence / mile, the equivalent figures become 45.5 mpg on diesel and 44.6 on petrol

Over the 10 years and 98,544 miles since the conversion was done the "savings" figures are a little less, as they include the cost of conversion, replacement parts, servicing etc and include periods when LPG was "higher" in relation to "lower" petrol prices, but the estimated overall savings over the whole period is presently £7469.70 or 38.06%

There is a very small "gotcha" to the figures as the car starts on petrol and runs on it for a short time before switching, so an "extra" cost would be the petrol used price, however, I only put petrol in about twice a year, and have never kept a record of that, although I sometimes wish I had, any attempt to inject a figure now would be total guesswork and probably totally erroneous.

Am I happy with LPG .. ???  :)  YOU BET I AM  :)  :)
« Last Edit: 31 May 2018, 21:22:11 by Entwood »

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel costs
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2018, 21:16:38 »

Yep, Im a LPG Nut myself have been for last 10 years and have never looked back since, really notice the difference on the wallet if my current LPG goes off the road even for a short while.

Even ignore the starting on Petrol bit and the lower MPG of LPG over Petrol its still a God send for me. 54.9p here at the moment.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2018, 21:20:28 »

I'm not jealous....No, I'm not...NO!
Seriously though you really have got it sorted, Nige and Zirk.  :) 8)

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2018, 21:28:56 »

LPG certainly makes a lot of sense if you do the mileage and it means you can keep the car you like/want.For me it would be a fairly pointless exercise as I do less than 4,000mls a year and that's spread across two cars so LPG'ing one or both would cost more than I'd ever recoup in fuel savings.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2018, 21:39:27 »

LPG certainly makes a lot of sense if you do the mileage and it means you can keep the car you like/want.For me it would be a fairly pointless exercise as I do less than 4,000mls a year and that's spread across two cars so LPG'ing one or both would cost more than I'd ever recoup in fuel savings.
Can be, But, Ive had around 9 cars and Vans of different shape and sizes and I yet to get any of them converted, allways bought with LPG fitted or non working LPG and either fixed or upgraded what needed doing over a Full Fit.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2018, 21:42:45 »

That makes a good deal of sense ...  :)

When I had the conversion done in 2008 I was doing around 12000 a year, so it took about 2 years to recoup the cost, and it was always planned to keep the car a while .. although I never thought of 10 years and 100,000 miles... and I hope to do quite a few more .. :)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2018, 21:47:23 »

Ah,if either of mine had come with the system already in place that'd definitely be a different matter,but I'd have to go from scratch and the costs then are prohibitive for me.If I still did the mileage I'd certainly sooner LPG I want in order to keep it rather than "downgrade" to something more economical that I didn't really want[if that's making sense].

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2018, 07:25:57 »

Does LPG track the ups and downs in petrol/diesel?
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2018, 08:29:30 »

I don't have LPG, but from what I can tell it seems to track more seasonality than with petrol or diesel; expensive in winter (when it's also being used for domestic & commercial heating) and cheap in summer (when there's an excess)?

A friend bought an already-converted Subaru Legacy (with the 3.0 flat 6) recently, and if I could find one of those I'd be tempted to get shot of the Skoda (simply because it's expensive on a per-month basis) and go LPG.. the only cheap LPG estate I could find was a Jaguar X-type, though, and I believe those are rust buckets?

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 June 2018, 08:59:01 »

It kind of does, as it should, as 40% of LPG comes from Crude Oil, but seems to take a long time to kick in and is more price stable over time, certainly in the UK it seems the price is more effected by supply and demand, and for the last few years there seems to be more available then required.

When I first started using LPG back in 2008, it was around 40 / 45p, it soon shot over the 50p mark, then over the next few years started to ride to anywhere from 55 to 65p. about 5 / 6 years ago you were lucky if you could get LPG for less than 75p then it started coming down again, its been hovering around the 53 - 57p for the last couple of years now.

When you compare the cost of LPG as a percentage of Petrol and Diesel its the lowest its been for long time.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 June 2018, 09:09:02 »

I don't have LPG, but from what I can tell it seems to track more seasonality than with petrol or diesel; expensive in winter (when it's also being used for domestic & commercial heating) and cheap in summer (when there's an excess)?

A friend bought an already-converted Subaru Legacy (with the 3.0 flat 6) recently, and if I could find one of those I'd be tempted to get shot of the Skoda (simply because it's expensive on a per-month basis) and go LPG.. the only cheap LPG estate I could find was a Jaguar X-type, though, and I believe those are rust buckets?
For me, and having to Travel in and out and around London Traffic has a lot to do with this, I also have little LPG Run Arounds, my current ones are a little 1.2 LPG Corsa and a 1.6 LPG Astra Van, I wont even bore you with how much the 1.2 LPG Corsa cost me to run on fuel but the point being it helps me to justify the Running Cost of the 3.2 Omegas I own, even though they are Manual and one of them is also LPG.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 June 2018, 09:12:27 »

I kept my LPG'd 2.5 Omega for 11 years.  Running a big old V6 barge for Fiesta money was a no brainer.   :y

Miss it!  :(
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 June 2018, 09:56:42 »

Given up the idea of LPG'ing the 3.2 now, just going to run it on petrol. Only doing around 6 to 7k a year going by previous MOT's and I tank up around twice a month.

I like having a full boot again and not having to hunt for fuel at just a couple of stations, more often than not the LPG pump would be broken/damaged/no fuel. Then have to spend 45 mins going through London traffic to find another LPG station, which quite often would be broken as well.  >:(

I've also stopped checking the mpg readout, just stick fuel in it and top it up when needed. Ignorance is bliss  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 June 2018, 10:00:08 »

Given up the idea of LPG'ing the 3.2 now, just going to run it on petrol. Only doing around 6 to 7k a year going by previous MOT's and I tank up around twice a month.

I like having a full boot again and not having to hunt for fuel at just a couple of stations, more often than not the LPG pump would be broken/damaged/no fuel. Then have to spend 45 mins going through London traffic to find another LPG station, which quite often would be broken as well.  >:(

I've also stopped checking the mpg readout, just stick fuel in it and top it up when needed. Ignorance is bliss  ;D

Money in the bank and a decent salary helps when running a gas guzzler. I do not miss having to fill up every time I went out here.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2018, 10:10:57 »

Money in the bank and a decent salary helps when running a gas guzzler. I do not miss having to fill up every time I went out here.

Thing is, the Omega is cheap to run in other places. No large service bills, as I can DIY when I want at a much lower cost. It's not going to depreciate in value, if anything it might actually go up in value given how few 3.2's appear to be left.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.