Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front tie rod  (Read 2553 times)

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
Front tie rod
« on: 15 January 2020, 19:08:16 »

Anyone removed one of these recently : https://www.vauxhall-car-parts.co.uk/acatalog/VAUXHALL_OMEGA_CENTRE_STEERING_TIE_ROD_-_90510648N.html

Still having steering issues and noticed when I replaced my idler arm the ball joint in the centre tie rod had very little (if any) movement. With the nut on and a spanner it would move a tad but only a tad couple of mm maybe just wondered if it is normal for them to be pretty tight b*****ds.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: Front tie rod
« Reply #1 on: 15 January 2020, 19:33:01 »

The ball joints needs to be able to turn freely through the limits of the arc of the left to right steering angle without binding and without undue play. So if yours was jamming the centre tie-rod needed to be replaced.

If you still have problems it may be the replacement idler arm. What make is it?

Is there up and down or back and forth play in the bush end that sits on the nearside chassis mounting bracket. Alas good idler arms are nearly impossible to get, there are none available that are good as a factory original.
« Last Edit: 15 January 2020, 19:37:22 by Enceladus »

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 January 2020, 20:48:42 »

Its a Borg and Beck idler arm. I am hoping that it is the centre tie rod that has been the problem all along just about replaced everything else now so must be getting near to the problem. Makes sense as I could not find any slack anywhere in the front end yet the beast just would not steer in a straight line if the centre tie rod ball-joints are supposed to move freely (which again makes sense) mine is knackered. What problems do you get with non GM idler arms? would have thought they are a fairly simple part to manufacture and Borg and Beck have been around for donkeys years (although they may be owned by sport direct along with every other 'branded name' these days).
Anyways thanks for the info will get a new centre tie rod and keep my fingers crossed that I have finally found the culprit.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 January 2020, 23:14:04 »

one of the oldest truths on OOF - aftermarket idlers are no good / last 2 mins.

I've fitted a good low mileage 2nd hand one and mines still got play in it, so either play is elsewhere, or that idler's stuffed, too...  :-\ genuine GM only ones to get... Lemforder made the originals and apparently genuine Lemforder aren't much cop either...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 January 2020, 09:51:24 »

just to clarify.
the ball joints on the centre drag link are not the same as the other 4 balljoints in that they do not have any (if not minor) angular deviation only rotation.i assume this is what you mean ?
therefore not actually faulty
« Last Edit: 17 January 2020, 09:55:58 by cam.in.head »

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 January 2020, 09:55:19 »

with regards the idler arm im pretty sure the bush and sleeve assembly is the same on (some) other gm models so you could extend the search to carlton,rekord,senator,monza,royale whilst looking for a genuine gm item and swap the assembly to an omega arm.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 January 2020, 09:55:35 »

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 January 2020, 19:46:19 »

just to clarify.
the ball joints on the centre drag link are not the same as the other 4 balljoints in that they do not have any (if not minor) angular deviation only rotation.i assume this is what you mean ?
therefore not actually faulty

Bad news that Cam.in.head I was hoping I had found the culprit (centre link balljoints) i do not think it is the idler arm either because it is just the same with the new one and their is no play in it. Mot coming up so I might get some clues from that it is a shame as it is running really well but driving any distance is hard work as it requires concentration to keep it in a straight line.
One good thing is it is economical as I dont like to go above 50mph getting 35 mpg according to the inst consumption gauge not bad for an auto.

2011venator

• WISBECH
    • Omega 2.2 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 January 2020, 19:50:27 »

Having had a good look at the Idler arm I am wondering why oem ones are so bad is it just crap materials or badly fitting ie not made to the right measurements.

Keith ABS

• Omega Baron
  • Maldon Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 January 2020, 19:59:30 »

The left side idler arm is the same on Monza, Royale, Viceroy, Commadore"C", Senator"A", Carlton 3, Senator"B" and Omega"B" models :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 January 2020, 20:16:57 »

The left side idler arm is the same on Monza, Royale, Viceroy, Commadore"C", Senator"A", Carlton 3, Senator"B" and Omega"B" models :y
As a cautionary note, they come in different lengths applicable according to power steering or not.
Onanists always think outside the box.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 January 2020, 19:00:47 »

And in case no one has noticed there is a genuine idler arm on eBay at the moment.marked as new

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2020, 12:35:30 »

I swapped bush in idler arm and left original gm arm in use.

Ordered the insert bush from SWAG germany had no issues what so ever vast inprovement

I didnt want ro fit aftermarket arm incase casting no good so kept priginal repalce insert

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2020, 12:47:57 »

And in case no one has noticed there is a genuine idler arm on eBay at the moment.marked as new
I suspect they're 121mm parts. As I understand it all Omega B use 110mm arms excepting later BMW 2.5 diesels which were not sold in the UK.
The ZF catalogue says the 121mm parts are for 'extended wheelbase' variants, so Omega A/Carlton limos.

I guess the bush is likely the same.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2020, 18:11:16 »

Yes it's the bush I was meaning anyway. I think he has 3 listed and at good price .
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.