Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater Bypass Valve removal and refitting - much swearing already.  (Read 3369 times)

rds

• View Profile

Yes it is me..again...

As part of the numerous jobs to do to keep the wonderful car (2.2L) on the road, I need to change the HBV again, this time using a genuine GM type.

However, although i have removed the scuttle panel (again) and the bracket over the wiper mechanism and tried to work from below, i just cannot seem to get any purchase on the hoses going to the HBV (NB car is on 9" ramps now). There is only room for one hand to get in from above or below and that means the whole assembly moves as I try and fail to get hoses off.

Any tricks here?
Any more parts to come off first?
How do the "quick release" unions at the bulkhead work? Will they help me achieve the goal?

I have drained coolant down whilst on ramp - not sure if there is any more coolant that will exit on taking valve out. I have tried clamps but that reduces yet further the minimal room available.

Are there any modifications, that others have tried successfully, to make the job easier next time, eg extending the hoses.....?

cheers

RDS

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Bypass Valve removal and refitting - much swearing already.
« Reply #1 on: 18 January 2020, 20:34:53 »

If you have the scuttle off, you've done a fair part of the job. The last hbv I changed (on a V6) was in a field on holiday .... can't now remember the full task in hand but IIRC I opened the spring clips with Molegrips/Vicegrips.
There are specific pliers to release them, though I've always manged without.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2020, 20:40:37 »

How big are your hands? :o

I have honestly never removed a scuttle to replace an HBV. Putting it back on the ground will make everything alot easier to reach...  ::)

Get the clips along the hoses and pull the hoses off. Replace the clips with stainless jubilee clips.

Only other advice, is to not stress the hose down to the side of the engine as that will leak and they're almost impossible to find.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2020, 20:53:17 »

I have honestly never removed a scuttle to replace an HBV. Putting it back on the ground will make everything alot easier to reach...  ::) ....

But it takes 15 mins to remove the scuttle ..... surely that's 15 mins spent well to give you un-hindered access  ;) ;)

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 January 2020, 20:59:23 »

Pic of HBV in my hand.
It's a tricky job. I once did one on a 2 litre Omega from below, standing in my pit, but it's easier from above. You have to find it, then heave it up using the slack on the hoses - be rough with it  - then noting where the hoses go, compress the hose clips with the right tool and pull them off; they may be stuck. Once they are off you can lubricate the new valve and the hoses will go on easily. I have a special tool to compress the spring clips which makes it easier. Then manoeuvre the hoses around on the clip so that the new HBV will go back into place without a hose kinking, or you will get no heat.
Originally it was secured in place by a clip, but by now it will have been changed and should lift out freely.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 January 2020, 21:22:28 »

Last one I did, I removed the wiper linkage. With the wiper arms and scuttle already off, the few minutes extra to remove the linkage made access a whole lot easier.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 January 2020, 21:28:48 »

I have honestly never removed a scuttle to replace an HBV. Putting it back on the ground will make everything alot easier to reach...  ::) ....

But it takes 15 mins to remove the scuttle ..... surely that's 15 mins spent well to give you un-hindered access  ;) ;)
No point on the Desmond. On the V6, it takes 30 seconds to unbolt the plenum ::)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 January 2020, 22:56:12 »

No point on the Desmond. On the V6, it takes 30 seconds to unbolt the plenum ::)

Needle nose vice grips, no need to remove scuttle or wiper gubbins, bit of wiggling, it comes out.
Hoof'land storeman.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 January 2020, 23:07:28 »

If I ever do another hbv I'll remember ....  ::) ::)

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2020, 00:10:45 »

.... can't now remember the full task in hand but IIRC I opened the spring clips with Molegrips/Vicegrips.

I also use Molegrips, but a specific type. The type with the multi-point adjuster, as a multi point socket fits on it. Open the jaws wide, get a reasonable grip on the spring clip when closing, put socket on the end and tighten until the clip is loose. Remove hose, remove moles and repeat for the other large hose. So easy it's almost enjoyable.  ::)  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2020, 01:44:05 »

many thanks for all the swift replies.

I have honestly never removed a scuttle to replace an HBV. Putting it back on the ground will make everything alot easier to reach...  ::)

Get the clips along the hoses and pull the hoses off. Replace the clips with stainless jubilee clips.

Only other advice, is to not stress the hose down to the side of the engine as that will leak and they're almost impossible to find.

my hands are the worst type: large, weak and delicate!

The hoses are indeed secured by proper Jubilee clips and they are far easier to use than the sprung OEM types.

re stressing the hose; I agree totally that's why i was a little worried to follow the other advice to be rough....

As for the picture in one of the posts, that looks like much more room than I seem to have. The hoses will not release from the spigots on the HBV. There is as little space from above as there is from below as far as i can see and the "slack" that one post refers to is just not there.

The HBV is just hanging there and supported only by the hoses, isn't it? ie it is not clipped/secured to anything else?

So, are the "quick release" unions at the bulkhead a no-go?

Taking the manifold off seems a bit excessive: are there any other items or hoses that can come off easily to make more room? what about the tube from the brake servo? Or does another dimension of pain and work await down that route?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2020, 05:18:06 »

Pulling the manifold (plenum) is a V6 cheat. No need on the 4pot. ;)

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2020, 06:25:28 »

many thanks for all the swift replies.

my hands are the worst type: large, weak and delicate!

The hoses are indeed secured by proper Jubilee clips and they are far easier to use than the sprung OEM types.

re stressing the hose; I agree totally that's why i was a little worried to follow the other advice to be rough....

As for the picture in one of the posts, that looks like much more room than I seem to have. The hoses will not release from the spigots on the HBV. There is as little space from above as there is from below as far as i can see and the "slack" that one post refers to is just not there.

The HBV is just hanging there and supported only by the hoses, isn't it? ie it is not clipped/secured to anything else?

So, are the "quick release" unions at the bulkhead a no-go?

Taking the manifold off seems a bit excessive: are there any other items or hoses that can come off easily to make more room? what about the tube from the brake servo? Or does another dimension of pain and work await down that route?

You need a flexible hoseclip screwdriver.
  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-6mm-Hose-Clip-Screwdriver/dp/B079313CG9
Hoof'land storeman.

rds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2020, 10:29:11 »

Thanks but the clips aren't the problem, it's the hoses themselves that won't come off due to lack of access.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2020, 11:41:07 »

Twist the hoses to 'crack' them from the Hbv spigots :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.