Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Maybe I should give up on this whole new car malarkey....  (Read 5588 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I should give up on this whole new car malarkey....
« Reply #15 on: 11 April 2019, 12:32:43 »

Not to mention that the Leaf would also leave you with range anxiety...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 April 2019, 14:06:45 »

M42......pissing rain.....outside lane......pitch black .......then it will fail. :)

Sod's law I'm afraid. :)

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 April 2019, 15:30:57 »

Latest Leaf with 62 kw battery has good range,probably better than the Golf tbh ???
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2019, 15:53:27 »

Latest Leaf with 62 kw battery has good range,probably better than the Golf tbh ???
They don't do so well trundling around the airport. 80-90 miles on a charge...

Might be that they don't like being topped up every evening  :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 April 2019, 20:58:45 »

In terms of cost Vs usability, I think 60kwh is about where it's at. If my experience is anything to go by, that will give you c250miles of real world (70 'ish' Aircon and heated seats on etc) driving.

Combine that with the 150kw charging technology which will add 100mile of range while you have a pee and I really don't think 99% of the public will want anything more.

As a daily commuter, I'm sold on electric. I find plugging in more convenient than filling up and the quietness outweighs the lost 'excitement'.

For toys though, I'm still firmly in the fossil camp.

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 12 April 2019, 09:13:10 »

Did VW tell you what the computer said, yet?

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 April 2019, 10:25:43 »

Did VW tell you what the computer said, yet?

Unhelpfully, it was a fairly generic charging error. It's off to Northampton VeeDub next week (I think they have a better machine that goes ping ::)). Considering that all the car was doing at the time was sitting charging, that seems fairly obvious.

Having had time to reflect, I do remember that the guy in my team who had the i3 last year stopped using that particular charge point after numerous problems, although all his did was throw an error and stop charging, it didn't 'fail to proceed'.

So there is a slim chance it's not the car's fault, but, on balance I'm still erring on the side of 'bloody useless sh!te'  ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 April 2019, 12:06:28 »

Sounds like SW, the charge system should be independent of the traction and allow you to go as long as there is enough electricity in the tank.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe I should give up on this whole German software malarkey....
« Reply #23 on: 12 April 2019, 20:36:02 »

FTFY... ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 April 2019, 10:45:17 »

Combine that with the 150kw charging technology which will add 100mile of range while you have a pee and I really don't think 99% of the public will want anything more.
Fast charging does royally fruk up the batts.  Hence most manufacturers state something like only doing it once a week.

Doing so once a week will still shag the batts, but they know they have to appease people, in the same way they say that oil lasts 20k...   ...they know the outcome, but know if they are honest, sales will drop
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 April 2019, 14:41:23 »

Fast charging does royally fruk up the batts.  Hence most manufacturers state something like only doing it once a week.

Doing so once a week will still shag the batts, but they know they have to appease people, in the same way they say that oil lasts 20k...   ...they know the outcome, but know if they are honest, sales will drop
That,s the problem with the whole environmental debate, trying to get to the truth past all the scares and lies. Bit like Brexit really. ::)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 April 2019, 15:23:54 »

Too early to tell I think. There's only a few ev's with enough miles on to tell.

There's a company called tesloop who run a shuttle service from LAX to Vegas and northern California, they have 3 Teslas (one s two x) that have cracked 300,000 miles, all 3 on their original battery and all they do is supercharge (so c140kw I think) from <10% to >90%. The two X's have managed this on their original battery packs, the 1st generation S had it replaced at 195,000. Range degredation over those mileages is about 10%.

So I don't think battery death is inevitable over the lifetime of the car.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 April 2019, 18:02:43 »

Too early to tell I think. There's only a few ev's with enough miles on to tell.

There's a company called tesloop who run a shuttle service from LAX to Vegas and northern California, they have 3 Teslas (one s two x) that have cracked 300,000 miles, all 3 on their original battery and all they do is supercharge (so c140kw I think) from <10% to >90%. The two X's have managed this on their original battery packs, the 1st generation S had it replaced at 195,000. Range degredation over those mileages is about 10%.

So I don't think battery death is inevitable over the lifetime of the car.
The battery technology is well known TBH, but the manufacturers don't want you to know that.  The 2 things that damage those batts the most is over discharge, and fast charging.  Hence the general recommendation from the batt manufacturers to only regularly half discharge, and rarely fast charge.

I'm sceptical of that Tesla claim, as even ignoring the electrics (the motors are shit), I doubt there is a Tesla alive that has survived more than 100k without falling to bits.  The design and the build quality is shocking :o.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 April 2019, 20:08:27 »

Yup, they're so badly built that the Model S is one of the safest cars ever crash tested  ::)

Different/unconventional doesn't have to automatically mean shit.

I mean, your car has 4 £170 door handles made from Chinese cheese. My car is a fantastic piece of packaging but does require £900 labour to change the clutch. Vauxhall coated the interior of the Omega with plastic wax and forgot to rust proof the chassis... They all have issues.

;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14 April 2019, 17:15:01 »

Yup, they're so badly built that the Model S is one of the safest cars ever crash tested  ::)

Different/unconventional doesn't have to automatically mean shit.

I mean, your car has 4 £170 door handles made from Chinese cheese. My car is a fantastic piece of packaging but does require £900 labour to change the clutch. Vauxhall coated the interior of the Omega with plastic wax and forgot to rust proof the chassis... They all have issues.

;)
PMSL.

No electric car can be inherently safe in a crash.  Given your job, you know that.  Not that would stop Tesla, as they have a woeful history for ignoring the safety, because they want need to get a product/feature out there before its ready. But like a lot of new tech companies (which it primarily is, just trying to be a car manufacturer), it basically does what its not-all-dogs-on-one-lead leader/founder says, regardless of anything else.

The one good thing Tesla has done is shown that full EV cars might be viable for a small proportion of the population, which has helped other manufacturers sell full EV cars.  Actually, I'll be generous and add another - they have shown that there is insufficient charging facilities, and that's only a good thing if we all have to move over to milk floats.

There may have been a valid argument 5 years ago that Tesla was one of the best EVs, but everyone else has caught up, and done so properly, and have better safety records, and more conventional rather than for speccy eyed geeks.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.